JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son is turning 14 and we went and got him a Remington 597 .22 semi-auto with a scope. We went to the range Tuesday night and he had a blast. It was cool as he hasn't been real excited when going out but sort of so, so. But he is excited now, now that it is his own and he really likes it.

BJRifle.jpg

And his first ever shots with it. It was even better later when we got it sighted in.

BJfirstshots.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to you both! I predict that you spending time with him and teaching him the responsibilities and contiplative skills of shooting he will grow up to be a credit to you. Have fun, both of you!

I've got the same thing planned for my 11 year old for Christmas. (I'll have possession of it when we aren't at the range, but he is glued to my
Hip when I'm out shooting, hunting, cleaning deer, mowing the lawn. Whatever)

I can't wait!

Kudos to those of you that take the time to introduce your children to firearms and sport shooting/hunting and firearm safety.

Don't forget to take the time to lock up those guns to protect them from being stolen and shown to friends of your teens when you are not home.

Very nice. I have 3 and think they are a great gun. I highly recommend the Volquartzen target hammer and extractor. You can also use a little polishing compound on the guide rods for the bolt to improve reliability. Remember when you put it together not to over tighten the guide rods. Put the retaining screws in enough to touch and then back them off 1/4 turn.

Oh and bring him out to DRRC Nov 10/11 for Appleseed

OP---great post :) !

Don't forget to take the time to lock up those guns to protect them from being stolen and shown to friends of your teens when you are not home.

My own personal experience with this, if they are started young enough and taught properly, the 'Mystique' of the the firearm is long gone by the time they are teens. My two youngest kids consider Dad's guns to be objects as mundane as an old cantaloupe. Only the oldest is really excited about them, but only like someone who would be with any hobby they enjoyed.

That said, I still lock 'em up though.

Keith

save your pennies. Won't be long before he wants a "real" rifle. My son saved his earnings in high school and we went out and got a Rem 700 in .270. It's a great feeling when your son gives you that kind of a compliment about how you raised him...

We're going out again tonight to the gun club. I had forgotten to ask him last night if he wanted to go so I texted my wife to ask him. And she texted back that he, very excitedly, said YES. I think we're on to something here.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top