Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My son is growing up (first firearm).

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by accessbob, Oct 25, 2012.

1. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

My son is turning 14 and we went and got him a Remington 597 .22 semi-auto with a scope. We went to the range Tuesday night and he had a blast. It was cool as he hasn't been real excited when going out but sort of so, so. But he is excited now, now that it is his own and he really likes it.

BJRifle.jpg

And his first ever shots with it. It was even better later when we got it sighted in.

BJfirstshots.jpg

BJRifle.jpg

BJfirstshots.jpg

2. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

:)Congratulations to you and your son.
    I was elated when my dad bought me a Glenfield Mod 60 at around that age.

3. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Great way to share more family time together!

4. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

I have one of those for sale and its a shooter. 1-2" groups at 50 feet. Great gun.

5. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

A brand new gun! He's a lucky kid. Nothing better than a .22 for having a great time shooting.
    Mike

6. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Congratulations to you both! I predict that you spending time with him and teaching him the responsibilities and contiplative skills of shooting he will grow up to be a credit to you. Have fun, both of you!

7. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

I've got the same thing planned for my 11 year old for Christmas. (I'll have possession of it when we aren't at the range, but he is glued to my
    Hip when I'm out shooting, hunting, cleaning deer, mowing the lawn. Whatever)

I can't wait!

8. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

Kudos to those of you that take the time to introduce your children to firearms and sport shooting/hunting and firearm safety.

Don't forget to take the time to lock up those guns to protect them from being stolen and shown to friends of your teens when you are not home.

9. accessbob

Yep, kept in the gun safe. Only the wife and I have keys.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2

10. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Very nice. I have 3 and think they are a great gun. I highly recommend the Volquartzen target hammer and extractor. You can also use a little polishing compound on the guide rods for the bolt to improve reliability. Remember when you put it together not to over tighten the guide rods. Put the retaining screws in enough to touch and then back them off 1/4 turn.

Oh and bring him out to DRRC Nov 10/11 for Appleseed

11. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

OP---great post :) !

My own personal experience with this, if they are started young enough and taught properly, the 'Mystique' of the the firearm is long gone by the time they are teens. My two youngest kids consider Dad's guns to be objects as mundane as an old cantaloupe. Only the oldest is really excited about them, but only like someone who would be with any hobby they enjoyed.

That said, I still lock 'em up though.

Keith

12. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

save your pennies. Won't be long before he wants a "real" rifle. My son saved his earnings in high school and we went out and got a Rem 700 in .270. It's a great feeling when your son gives you that kind of a compliment about how you raised him...

13. LoneStar

LoneStar WA Active Member

Congratulations !

14. accessbob

We're going out again tonight to the gun club. I had forgotten to ask him last night if he wanted to go so I texted my wife to ask him. And she texted back that he, very excitedly, said YES. I think we're on to something here.