JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK I started a thread asking for some load recommendations for my newly purchased M70 300wm. And I bought some factory ammo,since I hadn't bought dies yet,to try it out.
Federal standard ammo gave me about a 4" group at 100 yards. Every once in a while it would hit perfect.
So I bought some expensive Hornady ammo,as I have always had very good luck with every other caliber I have bought Hornady in.
Same thing happened, 4" goups
And I had a remington 308 that I could touch holes so it wasn't all me.I'm guessing it was shot out.Used by a real hunter,lol

Now I have decided to just buy a new 300WM. I have looked at a few different rifles,Ruger American,Winchester sporter,Remingtons selection and in the past I have owned a Tikka.
Savage is the only rifle brand (yes I know how accurate they can be) I'm not sure I want.
I'm not completely opposed to Savage or the Ruger American but I won't mind if I pay around $2k,either
I want a perfect shooter.I want it to be MY FAULT I don't hit something.And I am pretty sure I can keep up with most rifles at the 100yd range,at least:rolleyes:
So what's your favorite? Sako,Tikka,Remington,Browning,Winchester? Step up the a Christianson class?
Walnut and blue over stainless and plastic

Thanks,from Idaho
Mjbskwim

If I were looking for a .300 WM I would try to find an old Browning Safari Grade bolt action rifle. I use to have one in .375 H&H and I loved it another favorite of mine was my Ruger #1. Don't know how accurate these rifles were, never tried them on a bench.

Thought about a new barrel?
Naaa,I didn't like the stock that much. I was hoping the barrel and action were good for a HS precision style stock,so I traded it off and did fine.
I sell and trade a lot anyway,I'll come across a newer rifle or just buy new.
But if I found the right action I might just build.

mjbskwim, you're up in God's country, but getting to gunshops is no small task. Otherwise I'd say do a weekend crawl and check all the local shops, add to that the Cabelas in Tualip - supposedly there's a Steyr Safebolt in 300 WM there. Knew a guy who had one and loved it, but couldn't tolerate the kick any more.

If I had your budget and wanted to get something off the shelf, I'd take a hard look at the Sako TRG42 (~$3400), Steyr SSG 04 (~$1800, 24" bbl), OR I'd get a blueprinted action, Manners T5, 26" Lilja + brake and a great trigger. I'd bet that'd put you in the $2600 range.

Not a fan of the 300 Win Mag in anything but a full-length action. Not a 30-06 length action with a magnum bolt face (a la M70 or Ruger 77). I prefer Remington because of the OAL lattitude you get from it. The 300 Winny is longer than the 2 1/2 inch case which includes the rest of the Win Mag clan and the 7mm Rem Mag. The 300 Winny benefits from a little more room in the box.

Not a fan of the 300 Win Mag in anything but a full-length action. Not a 30-06 length action with a magnum bolt face (a la M70 or Ruger 77). I prefer Remington because of the OAL lattitude you get from it. The 300 Winny is longer than the 2 1/2 inch case which includes the rest of the Win Mag clan and the 7mm Rem Mag. The 300 Winny benefits from a little more room in the box.

+1. I'm finding the Howa 1500 & Weatherby Vanguard is also a -06 long action with a magnum (.532" dia) bolt face. It's not like you're going to need the fast bolt cycling.

+1. I'm finding the Howa 1500 & Weatherby Vanguard is also a -06 long action with a magnum (.532" dia) bolt face. It's not like you're going to need the fast bolt cycling.

You'll just have to stomp your bullet in a little deeper. I'd have a barrel throated to make seating close to the lands doable. Seems like big companies give you a short mag box and then give you a bunch of freebore. Just keep an eye on pressures.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top