JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK I started a thread asking for some load recommendations for my newly purchased M70 300wm. And I bought some factory ammo,since I hadn't bought dies yet,to try it out.
Federal standard ammo gave me about a 4" group at 100 yards. Every once in a while it would hit perfect.
So I bought some expensive Hornady ammo,as I have always had very good luck with every other caliber I have bought Hornady in.
Same thing happened, 4" goups
And I had a remington 308 that I could touch holes so it wasn't all me.I'm guessing it was shot out.Used by a real hunter,lol

Now I have decided to just buy a new 300WM. I have looked at a few different rifles,Ruger American,Winchester sporter,Remingtons selection and in the past I have owned a Tikka.
Savage is the only rifle brand (yes I know how accurate they can be) I'm not sure I want.
I'm not completely opposed to Savage or the Ruger American but I won't mind if I pay around $2k,either
I want a perfect shooter.I want it to be MY FAULT I don't hit something.And I am pretty sure I can keep up with most rifles at the 100yd range,at least:rolleyes:
So what's your favorite? Sako,Tikka,Remington,Browning,Winchester? Step up the a Christianson class?
Walnut and blue over stainless and plastic

Thanks,from Idaho
Mjbskwim

If I were looking for a .300 WM I would try to find an old Browning Safari Grade bolt action rifle. I use to have one in .375 H&H and I loved it another favorite of mine was my Ruger #1. Don't know how accurate these rifles were, never tried them on a bench.

Thought about a new barrel?
Naaa,I didn't like the stock that much. I was hoping the barrel and action were good for a HS precision style stock,so I traded it off and did fine.
I sell and trade a lot anyway,I'll come across a newer rifle or just buy new.
But if I found the right action I might just build.

mjbskwim, you're up in God's country, but getting to gunshops is no small task. Otherwise I'd say do a weekend crawl and check all the local shops, add to that the Cabelas in Tualip - supposedly there's a Steyr Safebolt in 300 WM there. Knew a guy who had one and loved it, but couldn't tolerate the kick any more.

If I had your budget and wanted to get something off the shelf, I'd take a hard look at the Sako TRG42 (~$3400), Steyr SSG 04 (~$1800, 24" bbl), OR I'd get a blueprinted action, Manners T5, 26" Lilja + brake and a great trigger. I'd bet that'd put you in the $2600 range.

Not a fan of the 300 Win Mag in anything but a full-length action. Not a 30-06 length action with a magnum bolt face (a la M70 or Ruger 77). I prefer Remington because of the OAL lattitude you get from it. The 300 Winny is longer than the 2 1/2 inch case which includes the rest of the Win Mag clan and the 7mm Rem Mag. The 300 Winny benefits from a little more room in the box.

Not a fan of the 300 Win Mag in anything but a full-length action. Not a 30-06 length action with a magnum bolt face (a la M70 or Ruger 77). I prefer Remington because of the OAL lattitude you get from it. The 300 Winny is longer than the 2 1/2 inch case which includes the rest of the Win Mag clan and the 7mm Rem Mag. The 300 Winny benefits from a little more room in the box.

+1. I'm finding the Howa 1500 & Weatherby Vanguard is also a -06 long action with a magnum (.532" dia) bolt face. It's not like you're going to need the fast bolt cycling.

+1. I'm finding the Howa 1500 & Weatherby Vanguard is also a -06 long action with a magnum (.532" dia) bolt face. It's not like you're going to need the fast bolt cycling.

You'll just have to stomp your bullet in a little deeper. I'd have a barrel throated to make seating close to the lands doable. Seems like big companies give you a short mag box and then give you a bunch of freebore. Just keep an eye on pressures.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top