JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well! I can finally say I'm not an AK virgin anymore!

I got out to the range today and finally had a chance to go through some rounds. I kept it to no further than 50 yards today as I'm still just getting a feel for the rifle. How DID it feel? A heck of a lot like my SKS.

It feels almost exactly the same with one exception- felt recoil. My Saiga is of course a carbine rifle, while my Yugo SKS is a stock battle rifle with a helluva lot more weight to it. Almost 2x as much. As such the AK recoil is definitely an issue.

Also, the sight picture is slung very low, forcing me to really hunker down. As such, my ear protection bumps the stock, and gets in the way somewhat. Going to use ear plugs next time. I REALLY need a NATO length stock set for sure. I need to get the rear sight a good 2 - 3 inches away from my eyeball. I'm really seriously considering a red dot or optical scope.

I need to work on control. I had two occasions where I bump-fired the weapon for two rounds while it was at shoulder!

The trigger was more sensitive than expected. Much more so than the SKS. There was a moderate amount of take-up with the Tapco G2, but the break was so sensitive that several times it discharged before I expected it to. I think I got it down by the end of the session.

At 25 yards I was pulling almost all shots low left. At 50 yards they were all pulling to the high and low right. God knows where they'd go at 100, but the next chance I get I'm taking my Lead Sled and really going to try and get it dialed in prior to scoping it.

I'm looking forward to playing around with it and getting it dialed in to my own specs so it's more comfortable to shoot.:s0155:

Welcome to the world of AKs :). You never mentioned which Saiga you have, though.

A few unsolicited comments.

1.) Try a squared off stance instead of a more typical one shoulder forward, one shoulder back stance. The Warsaw stock is designed with this stance in mind. You might find it more to your liking. You'll also have an easier time with the sight picture.

2.) Make sure that stock is more firmly planted in your shoulder. If you accidentally bump fired while shouldered, I'd wager that you are holding it a little too loose.

3.) What kind of scope were you considering? Might I recommend a Russian scope and mount combo. They look so much more appropriate than a US device :) . At the low, but still good, end is the PK-A red dot. At the high end is the Rakurs.

4.) Triggers can take a little getting used to. I double tapped my PSL several times while slowly letting off until I figured out how to do it right. I do like the feel though.

Enjoy!

Keith

You might have your head too far back on the stock also. You should be sucked up, nose to the dust cover. ( Communist version of " nose to charging handle " )

I tried to find examples in pics I had:

AKPR.png

IMG_8478.jpg

IMG_7334Medium.jpg

First two are me, last a buddy....FWIW, I'm 6'3" and find a Warsaw stock perfect.

After years of plinking with an SKS, I also bought an AK last year, and I also had problems with the felt recoil and Warsaw length stock. I had bruises on my jaw and shoulder. I got a recoil pad from Amazon for $12 minus shipping and that fixed everything. My offhand 100 yard silhouette score improved 140% immediately, it was remarkable.

I own an AK, but mines the Yugo underfolder, the recoil on it is very felt but easily managed, stock is perfect, I really dont mind the steel piece as a cheek rest. Trigger is really heavy! I couldnt bump fire it if my life depended on it! Your AK sounds a lot better than mine IMHO! Though I dont think I'll ever let my Yugo go for another AK possibly I just love it too much!

Last Edited:
Yes, that G2 trigger is very sensitive. I don’t know how many times I’ve fired a shot off without even realizing I’ve actually touched the trigger. Fortunately, my practice is to never put my finger near the trigger until it is pointed at the intended target, and I’m ready to fire. Shot my AK a bunch last week for the first time in months, and I had to get used to that sensitive trigger all over.

Try adjusting your stance and where you place your cheek on the stock. Hold the stock firmly against your shoulder. Sounds like holding it a tad bit lower on your shoulder along with moving your head back just a tad (Tiny adjustments. Doesn’t take much) might help you. Put your head too far forward with the stock not firmly planted in your shoulder, and you run the risk of the dust cover striking your cheek bone. Trust me. That doesn’t feel good, and forced me to experiment till the gun finally felt good to hold and shoot. LOP on the AK’s is a tad bit on the short side. I just measured mine and it is 13-inches. Correct LOP for me is between 14-1/2-inches and 14-3/4-inches.

All excellent suggestions! Thanks a million for the replies! Can't wait to get out and shoot again now that I have 5 magazines, and I finally got my Maglula mag loader. That thing is going to make life a lot easier!

Having put thousand's upon thouand's of rounds through 47's and 74's, I personally have found that a Tapco 6 position collapsable stock is what works for me. I am 6'4" and built rather funny. I have an almost 7' wingspan and I'm all torso(seriously, 6'4" with a 30" length on my jeans. Do the math. I know people that are 5'6" with a 32" inseam). I have found that the different length's of pull allow me to comfortably shoulder any of my AK's. Then, my wife's 74 can go back to her size(she's not 6'4"). The only exceptions are my Bulgarian 74 that I kept "authentic", my Yugo M70 underfolder and one MAK90 with an original thumbhole stock. All the others have Tapco stocks. Now that the slide fire stocks are available for the AK's, I will need at least one for a 74 and one for a 47. I love my AK's. People talk of poor accuracy. Anything within 400 yards of my favorite MAK90 is toast. As Keith said, welcome to the world of AK's. It is a lot of fun and you can never have too many! Kip

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top