JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Remington and stomped but on the old .226Rem. that had the wrong rate of twist and had accuracy problems, so they re thought it out and went to the 223 and a much faster rate of twist,

The original .223 twist rate was very slow. 1-14 or 1-12. I also think you mean .222 Remington, the parent of the .223. Still. The development of the .223 was very well thought out for 100-500 yards. New bullets and twist rates make it an excellent choice for game up to white tail with the heavier loads.

Cabelas also price matches. They often are less than Sportsmans. We have both as resources, you should check both.

They'll price match brick and mortar but not online prices. Also has to be within a certain distance, I think 50 miles. I've never seen Cabelas cheaper than Sportsmans. I think of them as a clothing store.

P

They'll price match brick and mortar but not online prices. Also has to be within a certain distance, I think 50 miles. I've never seen Cabelas cheaper than Sportsmans. I think of them as a clothing store.
P

On two occasions in the last year. I have gone to Cabela's and they called Sportsman's for a price and matched. The only reason I bought there and not Sportsman's was because they had a different variation of the same thing.

I even had the match to bass pro once and there's no bass pro local. They told me they couldn't match but they did check their price and came down to the same as bass pro saying it was their wiggle room not a price match.

Cabela's is very easy to negotiate with

Last Edited:
The original .223 twist rate was very slow. 1-14 or 1-12. I also think you mean .222 Remington, the parent of the .223. Still. The development of the .223 was very well thought out for 100-500 yards. New bullets and twist rates make it an excellent choice for game up to white tail with the heavier loads.

You are prolly right I was talking from ancient memory, but I know the first gun had big time accuracy problems and the 243 beat their socks off.
I still think it is the superior round ballistically! I'm actually thinking of the 6mm Remington, my mistake.
Gabby

Last Edited:
.338? I tried one of those once, spent a day and a half looking for my fillings.

And go easy on me, I just started a new job and training is intense.

P

Don't feel bad. I had 8 days of training and had to shoot qualification for my new job... didn't get a day off in 3 weeks. Now I'm off for 3 days and I'm going to enjoy the he'll out of it. Good luck on your new job buddy...

OK, maybe a well thought out knee-jerk.

:D
Existing bolt face with two requirements. 3500fps and penetrate a us helmet at 500 yards. 222 can't do that.

Why do you think that is a knee jerk reaction?

Is it some trend to make fun of popular calibers because________?

You sell the military on the 257 Roberts AI if you like. .223 is a legendary caliber that does precisely what it was designed to do.

Want a tack driver get a 6x45 or 222 or 22 vartarg or whatever. Each is designed to do something different.

They had to gain like 100 FPS,so they enlarged an existing case.
If anything "well thought out" happened it was in around 1949-1950 when the original parent case/cartridge was created.
That is all.

Last Edited:
when I did my research to buy the Ruger American in .270, I watch a video of military arms channel shooting 1000 yards with it chambered in .308 and spent a total of less than $1000.

When I did the calculations with the ballistic calculator the Nosler accubond long range in .270 outperformed the .308 and 30-06 in similar loadings, it was only outperformed by the 300 win mag and 6.5 creedmore by a bit in terms of drop but the .270 had more energy at 1000 yards than the creedmoor, and the recoil is much less than the .300 win mag.

Long story short. .308, .270 and 30-06 have been doing the job of hunting and target shooting long before 6.5 creedmore came on the scene. Generally there isn't 1 caliber that does everything THE best. If you want it to span multiple types of use, pick the best one that will work "good enough" for all of your uses.

To be pedantic, the first long range smokeless caliber that was good for 1000 yards was the 6.5 x 55 Swedish designed in 1891. It is still relatively common on long range shooters lists. The 6.5 bullet has better long range ballistics at longer ranges with lighter bullet weights than 30 caliber and 270 but at lower down range energy. 6.5 creedmoor is not quite in its class but does deliver the same bullet in a pretty good ballistic package.

Your post is a great example of thinking of what you're going to do at 1000 with the rifle. If you're hunting the 270 makes great sense but a small bullet selection. If you were target the 6.5 would be better but there are a number of 6.5s that are superior to the creedmoor like 260, 260 AI, 6.5x55.

In any event I like your research.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads