JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So Tomorrow , August 4th , my buddy Dave would have been 65.
Here are some pictures of Dave , doing what he loved to do...
Two big lessons I learned from Dave...
If you like someone and enjoy their company , let 'em know ...
And if you know something , be sure to share your knowledge...

That long trail that divides us , is not so long once you understand and accept it...
And you are never forgotten a long as tales are told 'bout who you were and what you did.
Andy

View attachment 484778

View attachment 484779

View attachment 484780

View attachment 484781

View attachment 484782

View attachment 484783

View attachment 484784

View attachment 484785

I feel ya, Andy.

I had a buddy of nearly 30 years (who was a couple of years younger than me) named Rob Miller who passed away from a wicked type of thyroid cancer on 20DEC17, just weeks after his 50th B-day.

The front photo shows him at the tender age of 19 posing during some down-time while deployed in Southern Honduras, just a stone's throw from a "certain" border... (further details are classified).

The rappelling photo in the back is a 80's/90's "period" Army recruiting pamphlet, and he's 2nd from the top.

E1EB2C1F-0820-471B-8CA2-0B022E766D33.jpeg

He never had much money (or physical possessions), he HATED almost ALL vegetables (except potatoes, LOL), and he was "old fashioned" chivalrous, but the guy had a heart of gold and without hesitation he would share what he had. He had an awesome sense of humor (especially when I was verbally abusing him, LOL), was honorable (to a fault), was tenaciously loyal like a rabid pit-bull on a pork-chop, and would have forfeited his life for "his own" without blinking an eye... that's the kind of people one should endeavor to roll with, and that's why our military cannot be beaten on the battlefield.

I'm honored and blessed to have known him all these years, and I still grieve over his passing. I share in your personal grieving as well, Andy.

Life is indeed a bittersweet symphony.

If someone is important in your life tell them...now. If you love someone make sure they know it...right now. There may not be another chance. Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow. Condolences Andy. You're one of the good guys.

@ZigZagZeke
Thank you Zeke...
I try to be one of the good guys...we all have our days , however....
What you say is so true , about not getting another chance at times...real life often comes without a do over or redo button.
Let the ones you care about know each day that they are appreciated.
Andy

So Tomorrow , August 4th , my buddy Dave would have been 65.
Here are some pictures of Dave , doing what he loved to do...
Two big lessons I learned from Dave...
If you like someone and enjoy their company , let 'em know ...
And if you know something , be sure to share your knowledge...

Being just a few months away from 65 myself and being just a few days past the deaths of two friends (one, 80, sad but timely. The other, untimely, 65, who just passed away about 6 weeks after being seriously injured in a fluke car accident) mortality is getting very real.

That last lesson has been a quandary for me. I've learned a lot over the years. Mostly about making things and fixing things. I've designed, made, built, and fixed a lot of stuff over the years. What I don't find much is anyone who really wants to learn any of it. Maybe I'm just an insufferable old curmudgeon so anyone who might be interested is put off (though I really try not to be) or maybe I keep my light under a bushel more than I should. Probably both. And, I know I've had to be busy making a living and was unavailable when some opportunities may have presented. Having gotten the "jaundiced eye" more than once years ago when the topic of guns came up, I learned not to be too open on the subject until I sorta know who I'm talking to. In a world where 3 guns is "an arsenal", a bit of a collection REALLY raises eyebrows :(
Don't want to be a target of either thieves or, eventually, the State (considerable overlap there).

And, I don't get out much (so my wife thinks :rolleyes:) So...How to do it?

@Ownerus ...
Being of the same age as my friend ....May give one pause to reflect.
I do enjoy your postings here and hope to see much more of you.

As for "how to do it...?"
We , Dave and I found a niche.
We both liked and collected antique guns , enjoy discussing and shooting muzzeloaders ...And found that many folks , even those with common interests , had knowledge that was lacking in some areas.

We have been lucky as well....
Most folks have been receptive to our displays and the information we share.
Lots of positive comment have come back to us in regards to our displays and allowing folks to handle and shoot some of our guns...

Some people have disagreed with our thoughts , experience and notions....A few have even been concerned that we shoot some of our antiques.
I do agree it is distressing when you come across those who do not want to learn...we have met more than a few of those folks in travels...
But Like the old saying goes : You can lead a horse to water....

Being out in the open these days as a gun owner...can be risky...to be sure.
Theft...Or being painted as any number of ways of being a "Bad guy" can and has happened.

All that said...
I enjoy my gun collection...and part of that enjoyment comes from sharing it with others...
I refuse to let what could happen , keep me from the sharing and giving of this hobby ( Lifestyle :D ) with others....
Andy

There's a lot of "Dave's" out there that we never see as we walk the earth, thanks for letting us see a bit of yours Andy. I suspect you're both good men to ride the river with.

Fair winds and following seas to you, Dave.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top