JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, a friend of mine texts me about this spot he found way the bubblegum up in NE Oregon, just outside Joseph. So I meet him up in Hermiston and we drive up and camp about an hour away. we hit the lake the next day and there is one other group there. I am normally a bit of a bait snob and I was planning on pitching some rooster tails but the place was full of weeds, soo I just sat on my butt and used bait.
The fishing was excellent, about a fish a cast and none under 10 inches with some coming in at 20 and thick. I think I landed in total 100 fish over 4 days, almost all were released although we kept a few. I normally dont like stocked trout but these fought like the dickins, not simply let themselves get pulled in like a Detroit fish and that made it alot of fun on the new rod.:)

Oh, I also tried out braided line for the first time on the Willawa river, lost 2 rooster tails and a bait rig due to my piss poor knots, so it came off quickly :p I might try it again as my buddy is now thinking of getting some cats on the Snake for the next trip.

:s0122:

PS: good to hear your new rod is working out for you! :)

I only took a few pics due to only having the camera on the phone and it being out of juice most of the trip. I think I got one of our camp Doe, she would come in a few times a day to eat apples and had 0 fear of anyone there.

Sound like a great time. The Clinchknot s one of my favorites with mono.
clinchknot.jpg

And ths one for braided line.

ee1d584a81f13812c1ca18593b060c88.jpg

I know I should have got a book on knot tying for the braided haha
I find the new lines very slippery demanding more precise knots, the older lines would tie fine with Milspecer's cinch knot without coming back through the loop but no more. It will slip right off without the little extra feature.

Yeah, there should be a booklet with your line...

I've been using a slip knot on my flies recently, it works surprisingly well and holds up. Using Flouro...

For every other type of line, palomar is the only knot I use to attach terminal tackle to line.

I have used the cinch knot my whole life pretty much but still, if ya have not tied one in years, ya get out of practice. I think I might try braided again, specially if we do go for cats.

So, a friend of mine texts me about this spot he found way the bubblegum up in NE Oregon, just outside Joseph. So I meet him up in Hermiston and we drive up and camp about an hour away. we hit the lake the next day and there is one other group there. I am normally a bit of a bait snob and I was planning on pitching some rooster tails but the place was full of weeds, soo I just sat on my butt and used bait.
The fishing was excellent, about a fish a cast and none under 10 inches with some coming in at 20 and thick. I think I landed in total 100 fish over 4 days, almost all were released although we kept a few. I normally dont like stocked trout but these fought like the dickins, not simply let themselves get pulled in like a Detroit fish and that made it alot of fun on the new rod.:)

Oh, I also tried out braided line for the first time on the Willawa river, lost 2 rooster tails and a bait rig due to my piss poor knots, so it came off quickly :p I might try it again as my buddy is now thinking of getting some cats on the Snake for the next trip.
Tell me about it I lost some gear with the braid but now I know how to tie it lol .

Yeah, there should be a booklet with your line...

I've been using a slip knot on my flies recently, it works surprisingly well and holds up. Using Flouro...

For every other type of line, palomar is the only knot I use to attach terminal tackle to line.
There is a booklet of sorts LOL it's called YOUTUBE.there are thousands of videos on knots

Another really good knot is the Double Triline knot, works a trick, especially with tackle that needs to run freely like spinners and WiggleWarts! :)
Between that, the Palomar, and the EggLoop, those are the three knots every PNW fisherperson should know!

Another really good knot is the Double Triline knot, works a trick, especially with tackle that needs to run freely like spinners and WiggleWarts! :)
Between that, the Palomar, and the EggLoop, those are the three knots every PNW fisherperson should know!
+1. Was just going to recommend the Trilene knot. It's like an improved Double Cinch Knot. I sometimes have trouble getting this knot off the hook eye, even after cutting it in half with clippers.

For fly fishing it's; perfection loop, blood knot, palomar, and uni knot.

If you want to simplify things you can switch out the perfection loop and blood knot with surgeons loop and knot, but the knot is less reliable.

Swivels are for chumps... ;)

Also, I value the double trilene knot only a little more than the clinch knot. It's old school and works, but like Ura-Ki says, I only really use it on spinners and the like.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top