JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, a friend of mine texts me about this spot he found way the bubblegum up in NE Oregon, just outside Joseph. So I meet him up in Hermiston and we drive up and camp about an hour away. we hit the lake the next day and there is one other group there. I am normally a bit of a bait snob and I was planning on pitching some rooster tails but the place was full of weeds, soo I just sat on my butt and used bait.
The fishing was excellent, about a fish a cast and none under 10 inches with some coming in at 20 and thick. I think I landed in total 100 fish over 4 days, almost all were released although we kept a few. I normally dont like stocked trout but these fought like the dickins, not simply let themselves get pulled in like a Detroit fish and that made it alot of fun on the new rod.:)

Oh, I also tried out braided line for the first time on the Willawa river, lost 2 rooster tails and a bait rig due to my piss poor knots, so it came off quickly :p I might try it again as my buddy is now thinking of getting some cats on the Snake for the next trip.

Where was this??? The only lake I know of near Joseph is Wallowa (WAhl, ow, a... not Will) It's a good sized lake and usually pretty well used. The lake is normally cold and clear, even this time of year, with no vegetation. So I'm puzzled... help me out.

BTW, some years using live grasshoppers is the cat's meow!!

Otherwise, thanx for the report. I have been wanting to hit the lake but fishing buddies have been letting me down. :(:(:(

Last Edited:
I only took a few pics due to only having the camera on the phone and it being out of juice most of the trip. I think I got one of our camp Doe, she would come in a few times a day to eat apples and had 0 fear of anyone there.

If staying at Wallowa Lake (I'm not sure where you were), you can get a fine for feeding the overly friendly and sometimes very aggressive deer. The reason is that deer become habituated to welfare handouts and get angry when they don't get their handout right away. People have been injured, both by bucks and does.

If staying at Wallowa Lake (I'm not sure where you were), you can get a fine for feeding the overly friendly and sometimes very aggressive deer. The reason is that deer become habituated to welfare handouts and get angry when they don't get their handout right away. People have been injured, both by bucks and does.
No, we did int stay there, but my friend told me about them. he called them Meth deer :p

We stayed at Minam.

Where was this??? The only lake I know of near Joseph is Wallowa (WAhl, ow, a... not Will) It's a good sized lake and usually pretty well used. The lake is normally cold and clear, even this time of year, with no vegetation. So I'm puzzled... help me out.

Otherwise, thanx for the report. I have been wanting to hit the lake but fishing buddies have been letting me down. :(:(:(
Kinny lake

Google Maps

You need better fishin' buddies ;)

For fly fishing it's; perfection loop, blood knot, palomar, and uni knot.

If you want to simplify things you can switch out the perfection loop and blood knot with surgeons loop and knot, but the knot is less reliable.

Swivels are for chumps... ;)

Also, I value the double trilene knot only a little more than the clinch knot. It's old school and works, but like Ura-Ki says, I only really use it on spinners and the like.
I will generally use the Palomar, uni and double uni.

I taped a picture of the Palomar knot to the top of my sturgeon box. I think it was on a package of braided line.

When tying braid with a Palomar knot I leave a lot of tag end, say 4 or 5 inches, tie the Palomar knot and cinch tight then do a couple of overhand knots on top of the polymer and trim the tag end off.
Over the years I have found that this knot has never failed me, if you do the overhand knots close to the polymer you knot.;)

Double uni is a good one, but it seems to do best with braid, and braid to flouro or mono as well.

Its my go to for braid to floro or mono on my steelhead rods.

I'm not much of a knot guy. Clinch for mono. Palomar for braid to lure, snap etc. And Albright rather than uni. Easier for me to remember being as I only use it a couple times a year. That "Animated Knots" site is DA Bomb.

Ones that are less busy, that's for sure! I fished more than this when I worked full time.

It's funny that you mention that aspect. It is true because most all fishing buddies also worked...
I have to send out invitations to get people that I know to fish with me during the week. Come on Bro, I can hear you coughing already, call in sick there's fishes to be caught!!!
Sad that people don't have their priorities in the right place.:p:p:p

I feel your pain brother...:D

It's funny that you mention that aspect. It is true because most all fishing buddies also worked...
I have to send out invitations to get people that I know to fish with me during the week. Come on Bro, I can hear you coughing already, call in sick there's fishes to be caught!!!
Sad that people don't have their priorities in the right place.:p:p:p
Too bad we live so far from each other...I'm free on Thursdays and my range is closed for long range shooting;)

I am free EVERY day at the moment:p All my fishing buddies got domesticated and need permission from the wife to take a dump much less fish.

I'll tell ya, if I had a car, id be on a river, lake or pond somewhere.. Its really the only thing I like better then shooting:eek:

I am free EVERY day at the moment:p All my fishing buddies got domesticated and need permission from the wife to take a dump much less fish.

I'll tell ya, if I had a car, id be on a river, lake or pond somewhere.. Its really the only thing I like better then shooting:eek:

Yep, turned into cattle they are.:p:p:p
My life has been in toil as I've wanted to fish every day that I could back when I was working. I now await my friends to hury up & retire... tapping toes....:p

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top