JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
you're right sarge.... I read it wrong.... gunna have to research the bolts more carefully... is there anything to know about the different coatings? I will pay a lil extra if it's worth it.

you're right sarge.... I read it wrong.... gunna have to research the bolts more carefully... is there anything to know about the different coatings? I will pay a lil extra if it's worth it.

For your stated purpose and price point I would say no to any fancy coatings. Personally I'd rather have a decent quality BCG than a cheap BCG with a chrome plating that may cause trouble down the road.

sweet... thx... I'm looking at this one now and it comes in a set... I'll probably get my LPK and stock this month and the BCG for x-mas.
<broken link removed>
Is the BCG the same for 5.56 and .223? alot of them don't specify caliber

I'm getting so excited... I can see how people get addicted.

sweet... thx... I'm looking at this one now and it comes in a set... I'll probably get my LPK and stock this month and the BCG for x-mas.
<broken link removed>
Is the BCG the same for 5.56 and .223? alot of them don't specify caliber

I'm getting so excited... I can see how people get addicted.

That's a good one, here's another to consider. BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16 Either should be good with 5.56 and .223, I BELIEVE the difference (between a 5.56 and .223 gun) would be in the chamber only

OH GREAT!, now you got me thinking about going the route you're going.:s0112:

Yeah, it's addictive.

that is a good deal on the del-ton kit.... but that would surely show up on my wife's radar and cost almost twice as much as my plan.

You plan to build an AR for $230 and change, plus a lower?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but... that's optimistic at best.

Another thing to keep in mind mail ordering over time - you have to pay shipping on each order, so if you place 6 orders each with $8 shipping, you've added $90 to your cost... makes a complete upper seem like that much better of a deal.

(I'm convinced that if you want a basic 16" carbine, you can't build them for cheaper than you can buy them these days)

You plan to build an AR for $230 and change, plus a lower?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but... that's optimistic at best.

Another thing to keep in mind mail ordering over time - you have to pay shipping on each order, so if you place 6 orders each with $8 shipping, you've added $90 to your cost... makes a complete upper seem like that much better of a deal.

(I'm convinced that if you want a basic 16" carbine, you can't build them for cheaper than you can buy them these days)

I think he means that , with all the upgrades he wants to do, it would come out to $930 ($465 X 2). Although my guesstimation based on his list comes out to $900-$1000, he WOULD be able to buy piece by piece to come in "under the radar" and stretch the expense out over a year.

You're right sarge... my complete gun including the lower should be $860 including shipping... if I were to buy the Delton I would pay $1043 for the complete gun the way I want... plus it would be more work and I wouldn't get the experience or satisfaction of doing it myself...

And if I put the $ away each month until I had all the $$ I would never get it... I"d use it for something silly like a vacation or something..... If I just order $100-$200 worth of parts every month I"ll get exactly what I want... I won't have too many extra pieces... I'll have time to research every piece... I'll also have the tools I need so if I build another one for me or a friend I'll be prepared.... Those points being illistrated I think my plan is the best for me.:):s0155:

Since there have already been ALOT of changes and I"m learning quickly this is the list... It will be updated/Changed as things change or I learn more. This will eventually be used as my build sheet.green means I already have it. SOME PARTS INCLUDE SHIPPING PRICE

Lower Parts

SAA stripped lower $90.00
DPMS lower parts kit $58.00
Mil Spec buffer tube (comes in a kit)
Magpul ASAP Rear sling attachment point $28.00
Magpul MOE butstock kit $100.00
Magpul pistol grip (comes in a kit)
Magpul Grip plug $13.00
Magpul trigger guard 7.00
Stag ambi safety $30.00
Magpul 30 round Pmags with window (5) $85.00
$ 411 Total

Upper Parts

BCM complete upper reciever $110
16" carbine barrel 1:9 w/M4 ramps $170.00
BCM Bolt carrier group $150.00
Yankee Hill specter length free float handguard $120.00
Yankee Hill low profile gas block $22.00
Yankee Hill handguard end cap $20.00
BCM Gunfighter charging handle $45.00
Armalite A2 flash suppressor kit $6.00
Magpul flip up Sight set $79.00
Picatinny front sling mount $20.00
BCM Carbine gas tube and pin $13.00
Magpul MS2 sling $45.00
Magpul AFG2 foregrip 33.00
$833 Total

Yes that puts me at $1244.00 total... Including mags and sling.... I've even figured all of the shipping the way I will order it and that adds another $30... so I'm at $1266.00 Total... but this will be a seriously bad piece of machinery! Screw always getting the basic toys!... I want something bad arse for once!

Other
Holographic sight (dunno if I'll get this for a LOOOONG time)
Soft case with storage (looking for suggestions)
Good flashlight with strobe function (looking for suggestions)
Flashlight mounting system (looking for suggestions)
Decent rail mount bipod (Looking for suggestions)
Rail covers (Not sure if I really want these)

any suggestions on parts that should be replaced or added let me know... but PLEASE don't try to talk me into buying a ready made lower and or upper and just putting them together... I want the experience mostly... Thanks

Some prices are rounded up or down to keep the total close.... and I'm sure I can find a better deal on some of it.

I've used a Surplus Ammo and Arms lower and upper with no problems, both are made by Aero Precision right up here in Tacoma. I'd suggest going with a 1:8 barrel so you can shoot slightly heavier bullets. A 1:7 will allow for use of very heavy bullets, but when you get into the extremely heavy bullets, they get too long to fit in the mag. A 1:8 will handle common 55 gr bullets just fine, and you can go heavier if you want.

Thanks for the heads up... I'm happy with my lower even after comparing it side by side with a spikes and stag lower.... I was looking for the matching upper, but haven't found it yet.
I am also researching barrels... I figure this will be a pretty important choice. I know to look for 1:8 twist, I know I want 16" carbine, Although mid length looks kewl:cool: I'm confused if I want chrome plated or not... Most of what I'm looking at are chrome moly. I THINK I want a heavy barrel, but that might change.

If you haven't spent this months dosh yet,

this seems like a good deal on a good barrel:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fo...5-223-5-56-barrel-16-m4-profile-bhw-$149.html

1:9 instead of 1:8, but it should serve you well, from what I've read.

For those of us following along at home, would you be willing to provide a price list and/or running total?

(I fully intended to go the same route you are going, got a complete lower, then found a NIB "used" gun for a lot less than I could put one together for, not even counting tools. Ended up selling the lower to pay for a lever gun, but then I bought a shotgun before I found my lever gun. :s0114: If I get another, it'll be a free-floated varmint gun, and I think you can save money building something like that.)

Good luck.

psst. swapping for stuff can get you in the ballpark faster.

also, you might have stuff that you didnt think people with ar15 parts might want to swap for. you're wrong. ask away!

good luck on the build.. theyre addicting!

kinda broke this month... But that's a good deal.
I put up the price list for you in the build list. But it's gotten alot more expensive because this isn't going to be so "basic" anymore.... now it's starting to be down right expensive. But that's ok with me... I decided to just go all the way instead of making a "regular" AR. I've also decided not to buy the cheapest I can and get mid-road parts.
I don't have anything to trade right now... I'm down to my carry pistol as far as my "toys" go... I really have nothing else.

yup... adds up fast... especially when my idea went from basic to all I want:cool:... figured do it once... then get ready for the next one:s0155:
The shipping won't be that bad... alot of the stuff has free shipping... promo codes for free shipping, or I can prolly find localy... I also have a friend with a commercial account with fedex USPS and ups... so I won't have to pay for that either.
I really like the MOE front end setup, but maybe I'll look into the free float option... What are the advantages and disadvantages to that? I've got time to do research before I shell out the dough.

I gave up project cars for awhile, so I'm going to build my dream "Baby Arsenal"...lol.. this will cost alot less:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top