JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to slowly build an AR (5.56)for myself. I figure it may take me up to a year to finish it... I have to use my allowance and B/D X-mas gifts to pay for the pieces. I want to take this step by step and make sure I talk about the right parts before I get into assembly help.
I already have my brand new stripped lower. It is from Surplus Ammo & Arms... I haven't read much about them, but the people I have talked to say it will be fine.

LIST REMOVED... UPDATED LIST LOWER IN POST

I'm not lookng to make this gun to be the holy grail... I just want to build a reliable gun for plinking and possibly defense from zombies... I don't need the best on this one... maybe the next one if I get addicted.

--EDIT--

Ok, things got out of hand, it looks like I lied... I no longer just want a cheepo rifle.. I'm gunna build a rifle I can be very proud of... you'll see. I'll TRY and keep it under $1500

Milspec buffer tubes are stronger, but are a slightly smaller diameter than the commercial tubes, causing commercial stocks to be a bit wobbly on milspec tubes... some stock manf only do one type of stock: Vltor and Colt = Milspec vs. Rock river Arms = Commercial, Magpul makes stocks for both tubes, so its really a matter of personal choice.

Stay away from Tapco. Tapco is for airsoft and for people who want to impress people who don't know anything about guns. If you want a cheap handguard that can have rails on it, buy a Magpul moe handguard.

Also, I recommend BCM uppers. They are top quality and are priced very competitively.

I"ll re-evaluate the MOE stock.... I do like it alot better, but I have to order the buffer tube and all the other pieces separately...

Yup.. I'll get the MOE stock right off the bat... only about $40 more all together and I like the idea of a protected release button for the stock.

Haven't found any BCM stripped uppers yet... will look into it.

Just a thought, you might save quite a bit of money by buying assemblies instead of all the individual parts. I have seen the DPMS rifle kits for around $550 which comes with everything except the lower. Del-Ton kits start at less and you can make upgrades to the parts you want. The nice thing about the Del-Ton's is that the upper is assembled, headspaced, and test fired at the factory.

I have looked at the kits from DPMS & Del-ton and I think I will be much better off buying it one piece at a time. It would cost a lot more to upgrade later and I would have to tear the gun apart anyway. Plus it's easier to slip each piece below my wife's financial radar.
I started this journey to build a gun from scratch... not put together something everyone else has.
thx for the idea though

I did what you are doing last year. I built a Franken-AR from parts and had fun doing it.

You may want to buy a Birchwood Casey Flat Black Touch up Pen. I needed one by the time I was done. ;)

Have fun.

Now that is what I'm talkin about... good advice on what a nooB would need... I'll be sure to get one... although knowing me I'll probably have it duracoated when I'm finally done.

Any more ideas on tools or equipment I will most likely need?

You should get an armorers/barrel wrench:

Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories.

I bought my upper, barrel, and BCG from the same manufacturer just in the hope that I would avoid any headspace issues. I ended up with a barrel that had a tight chamber but otherwise it all went together with only one or two issues (scratches to the finish) mostly from not having the patience to be extra cautious when forcing pins in.

I lost my photos of chimpanzees at the colt factory putting together AR15s. But it shouldn't be a problem putting one together, it's getting it to work that can be problematic. I have found rough chambers to be a major issue causing failures to extract/eject, examine the chamber of the barrel closely, if need be polish it.

Buy a military TM and use it as a guide for assembly and trouble shooting.

I may just be tired... but what's a TM?

From what I understand the chamber and feed ramps will need to be polished anyway... I'm getting the upper and barrel with M4 ramps... so that should help.

looking for some parts kits, try this webiste:

DSG Arms they have great kits that in some cases provide stock, buffer tube, buffer and spring all for one price. they stock magpul kits as well.

Unless you really want the experience buy an upper that is already built it is cheaper in some cases and a lot less aggravating.

Sign up on AR15.com they have a portion of their site that has how to manuals (with picutres) that will explain how to do it along with tech manuals.

If you want a manual then Scott Duff's How to manuals are a great reference that's what I used to build mine!

Good Luck and please post pictures of your proud new addition!!

I was trying to get at the same thing zerooption is. The more complete you can get (and still get what you want to end up with) the better deal you will get. Instead of trying to "hodgepodge" a BCG together, if you buy a complete BCG you'll probably end up with a better BCG at a better price. Look for a complete stock kit and you'll probably end up with a better price than buying the tube, buffer, spring, castle nut, that end plate thing and stock separately.

Concerning the BCG you'll want to add a firing pin, cam pin, and firing pin retainer(off the top of my head) to your list.

I'm going to have to stick to building my own piece by piece... I already have to replace the forward assist "knob", gas block, F&R sights, handguard, & possibly have it duracoated... Plus I'm looking forward to the learning and research aspects of the build.
As far as the stock... If I find the complete kit in the right color and mil spec. I'll probably get that.... I want OD Green Milspec Carbine Magpul MOE front & rear set now.
as for the bolt and carrier... I think it comes complete and assembled... I"ll have to double check though.

Found my stock kit... Hurry up payday!
<broken link removed>

thx Zero:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR