JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The biggest advantage (for me at least) is simplicity. A barrel nut, jamb nut, and the rail -vs- all the delta ring parts, the front ring thingy, two handguards, three rails, six screws, 6 washers, 6 nuts. Personally, I'd get a longer one that would cover the gas block and do away with the railed gas block, getting a cheaper simpler one. When you put any kind of grip on a forearm that uses the delta rings, you end up with a lot of slop. Also you can put sights, optics, lasers etc. without losing your zero every time you touch the gun.

yup!.... that's what I'm going to do... the specter length covers the gas block and eliminates the need for the quad rail gas block... I wasn't sold on that gas block anyway...

Again it will cost more, but it's gunna be a SICK machine... I figure you only live once, so I"ll do it! Thanks Sarge.

so.... about magazines...
It seems that the Magpul mags are reliable and cool, but I'm reading that the regular ar mags with an anti tilt follower are just as good.
besides the Magpul's being cool looking and having a window what are the advantages? is it really worth it to have 5 magpuls instead of 10 regular mags?
Hook me up with the pros and cons of both.

so.... about magazines...
It seems that the Magpul mags are reliable and cool, but I'm reading that the regular ar mags with an anti tilt follower are just as good.
besides the Magpul's being cool looking and having a window what are the advantages? is it really worth it to have 5 magpuls instead of 10 regular mags?
Hook me up with the pros and cons of both.

I'll add my .02 cents. Although I have absolutely no experience with AR's whatsoever, I am quite the forum troll. From what I understand, (And someone please jump in if I'm spewing hogwash), Aside from some fail to feed issues, the main advantage of the polymer magpul mag's is durability...

(Keep In Mind This Is a "MagPul" PR Fluff Piece) but see:

YouTube - Magpul PMag versus a Chevy Truck

well I sure can tell that the GI ones are a lil more delicate than I would expect. I guess I"ll start off with 5 or the magpul mags instead of 10 of the GI mags.

does anyone know how much heavier the pmags are than the GI ones? if at all?

Thanks for the heads up... I'm happy with my lower even after comparing it side by side with a spikes and stag lower.... I was looking for the matching upper, but haven't found it yet.
I am also researching barrels... I figure this will be a pretty important choice. I know to look for 1:8 twist, I know I want 16" carbine, Although mid length looks kewl:cool: I'm confused if I want chrome plated or not... Most of what I'm looking at are chrome moly. I THINK I want a heavy barrel, but that might change.

I would avoid the 16" HB unless you are just going to be shooting from a bench or rest most of the time. I had one and it made the gun way to front heavy and unbalanced. I still have one on my wife's gun and it horrendous. I need to get it off there one of these days and turn it down like i did mine. I think I turned a good pound or 2 of material off it. From my experience a mid or an M4 type profile seems to work well from a balance stand point.

You should check out black hole weaponry for barrels. I think I am going to try one of theirs for my next build and see how it goes.

I'll give the m4 barrel some more consideration... isn't the hvy barrel more accurate? I can't really see myself carrying the gun much, but it might be a lil much while firing from a standing position.
I had planned on going thru DSG for my mags, but I found them through Aimsurplus with free shipping. I won't qualify for LE or millitary discounts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top