JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know that you get what you pay for when asking for legal advice on the internet, but what do y'all think about those oil filter suppressors on the ends of muzzleloaders?

The muzzleloader is not a firearm, and the oil filter is not a suppressor. Thee maxim50 and those suppressed gamo air guns got me thinking.

Genius idea or a good way to bring the ATF to the colonoscopy appointment?

While I am not a lawyer or even play one on TV...
I think that it might be just side stepping a law and a easy way to get on thin ice.
Mostly 'cause not too many folks can keep up with each and every firearm law and regulation.
Mistakes along with misunderstandings ( both intentional and not so intentional ) happen...and both seem to happen quite often when firearms are spoken of or dealt with by "non-gun" people.

Also knowing just how dirty a muzzleloader can get ...I wonder what that does to a suppressor and just how long it will be effective?...

Please note that the above is just my uninformed opinion and open to change , challenge and ridicule all due to the vicissitudes of the internet...:eek::D
Andy

While I am not a lawyer or even play one on TV...
I think that it might be just side stepping a law and a easy way to get on thin ice.
Mostly 'cause not too many folks can keep up with each and every firearm law and regulation.
Mistakes along with misunderstandings ( both intentional and not so intentional ) happen...and both seem to happen quite often when firearms are spoken of or dealt with by "non-gun" people.

Also knowing just how dirty a muzzleloader can get ...I wonder what that does to a suppressor and just how long it will be effective?...

Please note that the above is just my uninformed opinion and open to change , challenge and ridicule all due to the vicissitudes of the internet...:eek::D
Andy

It can work, Silencerco just released a new integrally suppressed muzzleloader (sorry Andy, it's one of those modern ones you hate so much ;)) that they claim is legal in all 50 states. MSRP is $999, so I assume street will be lower. Anyway, they must find some value in suppressing a muzzleloader or I doubt they would have done it.

Back to the OP:

Now, would the oil filter work? Hard to say. A suppressor is a suppressor, regardless of what gun it's on. I would guess, without being a legal authority of any kind, that it could still get someone in trouble, just as if you put one on a regular firearm. Integrally suppressed guns, where the suppressor can't be removed, seem to be the one way around a tax stamp/NFA item.

Note: Technically, it's a 'moderator', not a suppressor, just FYI. Regardless, it does the job of a suppressor.

Here is the link to the Silencerco product: SilencerCo | Muzzleloader | Maxim 50 - SilencerCo

And a video of it:

I don't know about the legality, seems questionable. Same goes for effectiveness, I doubt it would really even work well.

Edit: I always figured you heard more of the powder than a sonic boom from the bullet, but I could be wrong (and I probably am). Also, reloading would be a pain, IMO.

Can muzzle loaders be legally owned by a felon? I don't think they can even own a pre 1898 firearm. I think like Andy said, you would be on thin ice. Except here in Idaho....

I don't know about the legality, seems questionable. Same goes for effectiveness, I doubt it would really even work well.

Edit: I always figured you heard more of the powder than a sonic boom from the bullet, but I could be wrong (and I probably am). Also, reloading would be a pain, IMO.
I could see an amount of unburned FFG build up in the "suppressor" and blow the thing off from the barrel.

I could see an amount of unburned FFG build up in the "suppressor" and blow the thing off from the barrel.
I was thinking that as well, just misaligning the "can" and sort of acting like a squib and sending some schrapnel down range (hopefully down range). Could happen during reloading as well, I suppose.

I'm also no expert and error on the side of caution.

Edit: to me BP is just a different type of powder in a cartridge nine times out of ten.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top