JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've got a 300blk build that I recently swapped barrels on. It now has a Rainier Arms ULTRAMATCH MOD2 10" from a Ballistic Advantage premium 9". Threading my suppressor onto it I noticed that the threads seem small. As in there is a ton of wobble on the threads all the way up to the point of seating. Not sure of I'm looking for a problem that isn't there or if I should be nervous running it. I feel that if the suppressor backed off at all while shooting that there might be enough wobble to get a baffle/monocore strike.
Thoughts? As expensive as the barrel is I'm a little disappointed. I took video of threading it onto the barrel I'm just not sure how to upload it here.

Is it with a direct thread can or a muzzle device? You said you threaded your can on in your post but the title says it is a muzzle device?

Either way, have any means of verifying it is the barrel threads and not the thing being threaded into it? I'd be measuring things and checking other muzzle devices.

It is direct thread. The suppressor was on the last barrel and I don't believe it was so loose. I tried my Witt Machine SME on it as well and it seems loose also.

Based on both barrel manufacturer's website, both of those barrels are supposed to be 5/8" x 24. if it fit the BA barrel better, then I would contact Rainier about your issue.

Based on both barrel manufacturer's website, both of those barrels are supposed to be 5/8" x 24. if it fit the BA barrel better, then I would contact Rainier about your issue.
Both are definitely supposed to be 5/8-24. And this is actually the second barrel rainier sent me due to the first looking used upon arrival. Another thing I noticed on this one is that they didn't soften the end of the threads after cutting. Just a sharp edge.

20220528_113054.jpg 20220528_113104.jpg

Sound like a poor threading job to me, threads are classed by tolerance, not sure what a silencer should be, but I wouldn't expect much, if any, wobble. And the start definitely should NOT be a sharp edge. I'd be contacting the manufacturer.

Dave

I'll be sending an email to rainier. I just wasn't sure if I was being overly critical for the price. I might even pick up another 5/8-24 muzzle device and check fitment on that as well.

Do you have ANY other 5/8 threaded barrel, regardless of chambering? Just to test a different set of threads. You could also get a tap and die or bolt/nut combo to check which end is the problem

I'm inclined to put Rainer on my "no buy" list after that picture

No other barrel currently. I put my old barrel into a build for a buddy when I got this one. However I ran this same suppressor on the old barrel and I'm positive it wasn't this loose. Nor was the other muzzle device.

Both are definitely supposed to be 5/8-24. And this is actually the second barrel rainier sent me due to the first looking used upon arrival. Another thing I noticed on this one is that they didn't soften the end of the threads after cutting. Just a sharp edge.

View attachment 1209012
View attachment 1209013
For what that barrel costs, that's a pretty ugly looking front end. Especially compared to the picture from their own website

1653834608937.jpeg

I would send that back in a heartbeat. No reason to risk your can on those crappy looking threads. Hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look like there is any kind of a crown either.

edit: Wow! Watched the video...... not in a million years would I risk my can on that barrel.

Some reason I thought Rainer arms was on NWFA but I couldn't find the screen name. Be interesting to hear what they say about this.

I sent an email to them yesterday including the photos I posted here. As well as linked the video I posted here. I had high hopes for this barrel but this'll be the second one I've had to send back. I think their qc and customer service has gone down hill in the past several years. You'd think they'd want to take care of it since I'm a paying Rainier Apex member (not worth it) but we shall see.

So Rainier is going to exchange the barrel for me. Promised to hand inspect a new barrel before sending this time. They have yet to accept fault on this barrel though and offered no compensation (discount or promo code for a future purchase), not even so much as an apology for the issues with this order.

I canceled my paid membership to their buyers club and won't be purchasing from them in the future. There are plenty of other companies that are willing to bend over backwards to please and keep their customers.

I'll update once I get the replacement barrel.

Some reason I thought Rainer arms was on NWFA but I couldn't find the screen name. Be interesting to hear what they say about this.
I think the owner was on NWFA under his name but I couldn't tell you what it is. But I would definitely contact them about this. CS and fit & finish are everything to me for re-ordering from a company. They won't make it right come back and give a bad review on here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top