JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't harden your heart, harden your house. Stronger double-keyed deadbolts. Reinforced door frames around the latch and deadbolt. Decorative wrought iron over ground level windows. Internal locks or dowels on upper floor windows. Beef up the veneer on the garage door panels, and cover any garage door windows with a matte plastic or matte clear spray paint so that your goods will not be visible from outside - neither will your car (or its absence). Deadbolt from garage to house. Lots of little things show the intruder that it is simply easier to go elsewhere. If they have targeted you specifically, they'll just wait until you leave.

If someone enters your home without invitation, they are a lethal threat and only lethal response makes sense. #4 buck from a 12 or 20 guage, 55 grain XM193 ball from a rifle length (20") AR, or frangible pistol rounds if over penetration is a concern.

Cops rarely deploy taser without immediate lethal backup. OC spray just pisses bad guys off, and could have worse effects on you than them, and decon is a bubblegum.

If you can't shoot em, beat them with a good ol' baseball bat, a wooden one, not that light weight aluminum crap. Just be prepared to get shot or stabbed if you engage with melee weapons.

If I am dealing with a home invasion there is no reason to play around with "less lethal" alternatives. Cops often have to deal with situations that require the ability to disable without maiming or killing. They can't just shoot every belligerent drunk or reeking derelict who is offending the sensibilities of the productive. Dealing with anybody who enters my home for nefarious purposes requires no such compunctions. At that point there is no room for error. An existential threat justifies whatever level of force is required to end the threat. Having an assortment of lethal force options is probably a good idea. Why choose between a carbine and a shotgun? Get both and don't waste $ on a taser.

Taser is a poor choice if you have the ability to have a firearm. Way too much can go wrong, and you will probably not have time to transition to a gun if it fails, and then you're fooked. And your family along with you.

Bubblegums? Really?

Apparently you are extremely new. Bubblegum is the site specific word replacement for common swear words. Go ahead and try it out, type in the F or S word and see what actually posts.

Anyway. Taser for home defense is a incredibly stupid idea. I've actually been tased before by a 5.8million volt model, long story short, it didn't immobilize me, it largely didn't effect me (it left burn marks on my skin though) and the person who tased me was very concerned for their health because they assumed it would have stopped me.

Pepper spray and tasers may be a decent alternative on the street to try and ward off aggressors two legged and four legged without lethal force, but once someone has decided to enter your home unwanted for malicious reasons, your survival may depend on your willingness and ability to use lethal force.

Taser for home defense is a incredibly stupid idea. .
I thought the question as to whether tasers of the most advanced kinds might have some useful role in self defense in a home invasion was very useful. It's not a "stupid idea" or stupid question just because the answer to it is "No". I had wondered something related--whether they might play some role among my own edc gear (in addition to, not instead of a gun). And I simply didn't know enough about tasers to have any idea. I didn't know, for example, that they don't work at close range because the two tines need to be far apart. Or that even at the very limited optimal range of 7 to 15 feet, they fail half the time. After this thread, I can see they aren't for me in any context. In addition, sometimes anti-gunners ask why I don't choose to depend on non-lethal means of self defense instead of guns. I can now much better answer that question.
OldBroad44, member of SPRTASQ.
(Society for the Protection of the Right To Ask Stupid Questions)

Don't harden your heart, harden your house. Stronger double-keyed deadbolts. Reinforced door frames around the latch and deadbolt. Decorative wrought iron over ground level windows. Internal locks or dowels on upper floor windows. Beef up the veneer on the garage door panels, and cover any garage door windows with a matte plastic or matte clear spray paint so that your goods will not be visible from outside - neither will your car (or its absence). Deadbolt from garage to house. Lots of little things show the intruder that it is simply easier to go elsewhere. If they have targeted you specifically, they'll just wait until you leave.

All good things to do. However... if someone has targeted my home, they probably will come when I am gone... if they have targeted ME specifically, then I got problems a hardened home probably won't resist. Additionally, today's realities are that home invasion burglaries/attacks are increasingly common and there are no safe locations. These events typically start with large amounts of physical force by multiple invaders and include physical assaults on residents to obtain $$, drugs, and/or PIN numbers. I for one am not interested in politely asking intruders to leave... my thinking is that if they are in my home when I or my family is present, they are willing to do bodily harm or worse. These threats must be resisted with the appropriate use of force or the residents (me or mine) will suffer the consequences... I'd really rather have it the other way around.

I thought the question as to whether tasers of the most advanced kinds might have some useful role in self defense in a home invasion was very useful. It's not a "stupid idea" or stupid question just because the answer to it is "No". I had wondered something related--whether they might play some role among my own edc gear (in addition to, not instead of a gun). And I simply didn't know enough about tasers to have any idea. I didn't know, for example, that they don't work at close range because the two tines need to be far apart. Or that even at the very limited optimal range of 7 to 15 feet, they fail half the time. After this thread, I can see they aren't for me in any context. In addition, sometimes anti-gunners ask why I don't choose to depend on non-lethal means of self defense instead of guns. I can now much better answer that question.
OldBroad44, member of SPRTASQ.
(Society for the Protection of the Right To Ask Stupid Questions)

I didn't say it was a stupid question, it's good to ask questions to find out information and gain knowledge, I'm saying that the implementation of a taser as a method of defending your home instead of a firearm is a stupid idea.

Tasers are only employed by cops when they perceive to have a overwhelming advantage of force, they know the perp is unarmed and simply non compliant, more often than not they also have back up with a firearm covering them.

A home intruder does not announce what he is armed with, he doesn't announce what drugs they may be on, they don't announce how thick of clothing they may be wearing and they don't announce how many of them there are. Using a taser as a primary method of home defense presumes many variables to be the best case scenario for it to be effective. 1 perp, thin or no clothing, no substance use altering their mind, unarmed. Perfect shot of the taser, doesn't miss and it stuns the perp completely. This is presuming a lot.

In every way you possibly can, employing a taser as the primary home defense device instead of a firearm disadvantages a person.

Even if you have a firearm on you while employing the taser first, it's like holding your A-squad in reserve while your C or D squad engages, time is life, deploying and finding out the taser was inneffective and then switching to the firearm could provide enough time to be potentially overwhelmed, also, this assumes that you haven't brought a taser to a gun fight in the first place and while you have wasted time with the taser, you've given the perp much more opportunity to shoot you. Remember, someone(s) just illegally came into your home, they aren't their because they have your best interests in mind.

But, each person can choose to defend themselves however they wish I suppose. I was simply providing real world experience I have being tased and it being unneffective, it would suck as a person defending your home to find that out in the moment you thought you could count on it.

Last Edited:
"In addition, sometimes anti-gunners ask why I don't choose to depend on non-lethal means of self defense instead of guns. I can now much better answer that question."
Tell them they shouldn't formulate their opinions on such questions based on what they saw on TV because that's the only place where wiffle bats and pepper spray will stop an amped-up meth head. In the Real World an existential threat requires a serious defensive reaction and the well being of the assailant is an irrelevant concern.

Taser for home defense is a incredibly stupid idea. I've actually been tased before by a 5.8million volt model, long story short, it didn't immobilize me, it largely didn't effect me (it left burn marks on my skin though) and the person who tased me was very concerned for their health because they assumed it would have stopped me.

If it was said to have that rating that was not a Taser. It was one of those stun guns. They often try to use to Taser name to get people to buy them, but they do not do what a Taser does.
I still have one of those stun guns here I bought decades ago. Place I was working we would often run into bums who would try to camp out in some out of the way place. I had to roust them. Most would wake up and leave. Now and then one would pretend to not wake up. I would pull that stun baton out, let the sound go one time with a warning. If they still pretended to not wake up I would touch it to a leg. The pretending would end immediately. They are pretty worthless for defense but they sure as hell worked for getting people up and on their feet. :)

If it was said to have that rating that was not a Taser. It was one of those stun guns. They often try to use to Taser name to get people to buy them, but they do not do what a Taser does.
I still have one of those stun guns here I bought decades ago. Place I was working we would often run into bums who would try to camp out in some out of the way place. I had to roust them. Most would wake up and leave. Now and then one would pretend to not wake up. I would pull that stun baton out, let the sound go one time with a warning. If they still pretended to not wake up I would touch it to a leg. The pretending would end immediately. They are pretty worthless for defense but they sure as hell worked for getting people up and on their feet. :)

The vernacular is difficult to understand sometimes because a stun gun emplies a projectile while a taser is used to describe many things even though it may be a specific brand of item. Anyway, yes, the one I experienced was not the projectile type, it had two prongs that you press up against skin, make a god awful crackling sound arcing across the prongs. Lol

The vernacular is difficult to understand sometimes because a stun gun emplies a projectile while a taser is used to describe many things even though it may be a specific brand of item. Anyway, yes, the one I experienced was not the projectile type, it had two prongs that you press up against skin, make a god awful crackling sound arcing across the prongs. Lol
Taser is of course a registered trade name, which is why so many of the stun guns will (illegally) use the name. I would suspect Taser has someone who sends cease and desist orders to them and then another Chinese co just makes them. Apparently the patent has expired now on the design Tom came out with since there are "off brand" models of the original design now. Still of course not near as cheap as the ones that just cause pain. I have seen a LOT of people, mostly women, buy those stun guns with the idea it would protect them. I would "try" to tell everyone one I saw with one that it was a waste. All it would do is piss off the person attacking them. Some would listen, many would not, Shrug. I have heard some say the stun batons work well on aggressive dogs too. That the sound they make will deter most dogs without having to actually touch them. I used to see a woman caring one at a local off leash park. Never got to see if it had the desired effect but guessing it would. One touch to the nose and I suspect most dogs would want no more of it. :)

Taser is of course a registered trade name, which is why so many of the stun guns will (illegally) use the name. I would suspect Taser has someone who sends cease and desist orders to them and then another Chinese co just makes them. Apparently the patent has expired now on the design Tom came out with since there are "off brand" models of the original design now. Still of course not near as cheap as the ones that just cause pain. I have seen a LOT of people, mostly women, buy those stun guns with the idea it would protect them. I would "try" to tell everyone one I saw with one that it was a waste. All it would do is piss off the person attacking them. Some would listen, many would not, Shrug. I have heard some say the stun batons work well on aggressive dogs too. That the sound they make will deter most dogs without having to actually touch them. I used to see a woman caring one at a local off leash park. Never got to see if it had the desired effect but guessing it would. One touch to the nose and I suspect most dogs would want no more of it. :)

The dog idea is very valid, family has a 70 lb very protective dog and it's tough to say what he would do defending a family member of faced with a crackling stun gun, anytime it has been played with he bolts to another room.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top