JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Check back to this first post for any changes or updates prior to this event.

Improved area at Wildcat

Sat April 23, 2016, 9 AM to 1 PM (+/- an hour).

Google Map Link: To meeting area...
https://goo.gl/maps/LA5CRdEowZq

GPS Coordinance:
45°18'48.0"N 122°05'03.6"W

Wildcat Cleanup 4-23-16.jpg

Directions to base camp meeting area; Just past Sandy, OR, turn right on SE Firwood Rd (at Shorty's Corner), Stay on SE Firwood Rd to Left on SE Wildcat Mountain Dr, Continue onto NF-36, Continue onto NF-3626, Turn Left at the NWFA Cleanup Sign.

Description:
We will be cleaning up outdoor target shooting sites. USFS will provide bags, latex gloves and garbage disposal. They will also provide volunteers with L & I insurance for the clean up hours.

Lunch Provided:
BBQ lunch noon to 1 pm! Free raffle prize drawings during lunch! Enjoy! Thank you for your help!

After Lunch: (The official event ends after lunch)
You are welcome to stay and enjoy some fun target shooting with a great group of outstanding gun owners. Be sure to bring ear and eye protection and appropriate legal targets.

What to bring:
Gloves, Boots, Jeans, Rake, Shovel, Legal Targets and something with a trigger! (Rain gear might be appropriate depending on weather forecast).

What to Expect:
Coffee, donuts, lunch, free stuff, meet new and old friends, help to keep our Federal Lands open to recreational outdoor shooting, help keep our public playground clean and have a great time target shooting.

Who is invited:
This event is open to all Public, Family and Children. A great way to meet new people, do some shooting and help clean up our State Lands.

Help our planning efforts:
We are expecting at least 30 people for this event. Please be sure of your schedule when you cast you RSVP above. We will adjust our food count accordingly. Thank you.

This event is sponsored by;
Northwest Firearms, USFS Mt Hood Nat Forest & Clackamas County Dump Stoppers

Supporting vendors;
Sportsman's Warehouse SE 82nd Prtd, Cabela's, & Rapid Fire Arms LLC Sandy

Please RSVP above!

Who to contact:
Cogs or rangerlars

Last Edited:
Target Shooting Rules on Mt. Hood National Forest
1. No person shall place targets on trees or shoot trees
for any purpose.
2. No person shall shoot across, from or along any road,
trail or body of water.
3. No person shall shoot carelessly, recklessly, or
without regard for the safety of any person, or in a
manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any
person or property.
4. Persons engaged in target shooting shall remove from
National Forest System land all shell casings, targets,
and other debris resulting from their use.
5. Persons engaged in target shooting shall utilize an
appropriately sized, natural backstop.
6. No person shall shoot targets other than those
commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of
target shooting, except for paper targets privately
manufactured by the people engaging in target shooting.
7. The use of exploding targets and tracer ammunition is
prohibited.
8. No person shall shoot glass of any kind, appliances,
furniture, vehicles or other debris determined to be
garbage or refuse by an enforcing officer.
9. No person shall engage in shooting while under the
influence of drugs or alcohol.
10. Target shooting and other shooting related activity
will be prohibited from one half hour after sunset to one
half hour before sunrise.

Here's a link to their web page on
Recreational Target Shooting on the Mt. Hood National Forest

I have a handout PDF flier (8 1/2 x 11 color) on this event and will be happy to send it in an email if anyone would like to hand it out. It has the GPS co ordinance, written directions, description and QR code links to the event thread. Simply print and hand out.

Send me your email address in a Private Conversation.

Also, please share on Facebook (groups & friends) and send invites to people you know...
https://www.facebook.com/events/960284570759532/
They don't have to have guns or shoot, just want to help clean up. Perhaps all they want is a burger. That's cool too!

Thanks,

Bill

I have a package of 24 hot dogs and I'll get buns to match. Also a 5 gal propane tank along with 2-3 small bottles of propane.

This location, at Wildcat, is up for 'Adoption'! You read that right... Adoption. The USFS would like a NWFA member (or 2) to adopt the site by committing to checking on it and reporting its condition every so often. Keep this in mind, as we will be talking about it at the cleanup.

USFS has recently made improvements to this area that make it attractable for target shooting. (It's one of the only places to shoot on that side near Sandy). Two cleared lanes with berms at the end of a cul-de-sac. They were old dead end spur roads that lend themselves well to shooting. One is a 75 yard lane and the other is shorter. NWFA member rangerlars could elaborate on its features and condition.

I like the idea of 'Adopt a shooting site'. It would benefit all of us to have members keeping us informed and current on what's happening at various shooting sites in our forests. Perhaps we should make it a common thing for us to do?!

We will also have a couple other topics to discuss at this cleanup. Hope you can join in!

Cogs

Check back to this first post for any changes or updates prior to this event.

Improved area at Wildcat

Sat April 23, 2016, 9 AM to 1 PM (+/- an hour).

Google Map Link: To meeting area...
https://goo.gl/maps/LA5CRdEowZq

GPS Coordinance:
45°18'48.0"N 122°05'03.6"W

Who to contact:
Cogs or rangerlars

I won't be able to make this one but I have 1 1/2 tubs of Folgers coffee as well as 2 Ketchup, 1 Mustard and 1 Mayonnaise that I got for the Tillamook cleanup. If someone that is going can hook up I can get these to them. I live in King City and am in Beaverton (near NIKE) every weekday.

@Cogs, A thought I just had. Getting someone to "Adopt" a shooting area is great. The problem is so many shooters, like me, live quite far from these places. For this Wildcat sight you might consider getting some flyers up a DRRC and Estacada Rod & Gun Club. I know if I lived closer than an hour+ one-way I'd go for something like that. Heck, I don't go for the clean-up anyways, I go for the meeting people, food and the shooting afterward!:D

@Cogs NWF should post some flyers like waguns up here in Washington does. Basically saying the group sponsored the cleanup and encourage others to pick up after themselves. Adopting the location is a great idea. I will suggest it up her as well as there are some regular sites that some people use fairly often

@Cogs NWF should post some flyers like waguns up here in Washington does. Basically saying the group sponsored the cleanup and encourage others to pick up after themselves. Adopting the location is a great idea. I will suggest it up her as well as there are some regular sites that some people use fairly often
Right on, coltemp. We do that. After the cleanup, we post a laminated poster that says "This site cleaned up by Northwest Firearms". It has the QR code that links to the home page of NWFA, asks that they take out their own trash and encourages to "Have fun, be safe and be responsible". I'll post a pic in my next post.

Cogs

That sign is really inexpensive to print and laminate, so, when it gets shot up, we can replace it easily.

It will help when we have someone checking on the site every so often and they can let us know when the sign needs to be replaced.

@Cogs NWF should post some flyers like waguns up here in Washington does.
I'd like to see a pic of waguns sign. Also would like to hear more about them.

Thanks for your input!

I didn't know we were putting a sign up after we were done cleaning the places. I had thought that would be a good idea though. Is that just an 8"x11" sheet of paper?

Gotta wonder if we had the sign up at the Louisignot sight when the dudes came up and started hanging bottles from the trees to shoot?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top