JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did some TDY at NAS Lemoore in the late 80's near Fresno.

I drove into Fresno and did not like. I remember the big news at the time was some local youths throwing blocks off of pedestrian bridges over the interstate and killed a motorist.

I had a 1966 F100 and decided one day to leave base and drive to the mountains I could see in the distance. Took me two hours to reach them, then in the middle of the road was a guy in a booth saying I had to pay $5 cash to keep going.

I laughed at him and backtracked a 1/4 mile and took a side road up to the snow line, go out, did some shooting, built a snowman, and vowed to never live in such a communistic state.

That was in 1989. I imagine it has gotten worse.

The last time I was in Yakima, was in 2004 or so with my wife and two young kids. We were driving to the West side and decided to take the route by Mt. St. Helens. Stopped in Yakima at the Dairy Queen.

Saw lots of sketchy Hispanics loitering, had a homeless white guy beg us for money, but refused an offer to buy him a meal. Was looking at the local paper they had and saw a couple of murders on the front page.

Driving out of town, saw a silver Toyota Tacoma pulled over so I slowed down and then saw a large Hispanic male slapping a woman. Didn't stop, not with my family in the car. Called 911 and they sounded none too concerned.

Yeah, wouldn't want to live in Yakima for any amount of money.

I only make $50k a year, but I have almost no stress, no crime, surrounded by friends and family, and beautiful outdoors.

It's all about what you value more in life.

Last Edited:
Latest City Data crime stats for Fresno give it a rating of 377.6, in 2016. Used to be 628 in 2002, so it's gone way down. National average is 280.5.

Yakima is at 447.2, down from 620 in 2002.

So yeah, Fresno is slightly less crappy than Yakima. Both have a Hispanic population at 49%.

Not sure what you're gaining going from the armpit of Washington to the armpit of California, unless you just like living in armpits...

The line of work I've developed over the years is in food processing. Food processors are located in areas with high percentages of Hispanic . Not that Hispanics have ever bothered me. Yakima is considerably worse than Fresno as a whole and much much worse that Clovis where I'll be living so yes, I am trading up.

I'm not sure where this area where they have year round good weather, low cost of living good schools and living accommodations and no crime is?

As far as Mississippi and Alabama . The last interview I did where I was offered $130K and full relo to work in a food grade chemical plant was in Greenville MS. The town looked like a bombed out African village. I could have lived like a God there on that money. Bums everywhere, burned out houses left to fall down on almost every block. Entire neighborhood with broken out windows and mattresses hanging out. It was like the Detroit of the south. Seriously anyone who complains about Fresno really needs to get out more.

All I heard was you are taking the fight to California! Brave soul, I'll help where I can.

I've heard FPC and calguns are two organizations to support.

Know you aren't alone, I've heard of other liberty minded individuals that also traveled down to the heart of the beast to help change minds.

E pluribus unum

I can feel the hate coming down already. Yep. I'm moving to Fresno. Taking a job as engineering manager with a hugigantic winery. 24 million gallons in cooperage. NFA stuff is staying up here so I can visit it sometimes. The rest of the CA legal stuff is coming with.
Don't forget your engineer hat.. woowooo!

I live in Yakima. You think it gets hot in Fresno? Californians like to talk smack about California more that SIG owners like to talk smack about SIG. I'm from there originally but have only lived there about 8 years of my life. Tired of the winters and we were looking for something warmer to retire in down the road.

I plan on picking up a few more non roster guns before I head down. I loath shooting at ranges but i bet I can make a few bucks :).

G43s and Vp9s OMG you will be set.

Congratulations! I moved to my property in Los Angeles which I bought 3 years ago and so far I love it here. Where in California are you moving to? Do you need any help or advice?

Not really. Ive lived in California before. Been a long time and it was before the gun banning thing got really heavy but I'll be keeping the NFA stuff at my sons place in Washington. I'm going to Fresno. People talk a lot of smack about Fresno. Like everywhere else theres good and bad areas of town and if you stay out of the bad its not an issue. Nice central location with a lot to do and certainly not worse than where I'm at now. Lots of jobs, reasonable housing costs by California standards, and light traffic for a city of a half million.

I was born and raised in Yakima, we left in 1980.

Yakima is a Good place to be FROM!

Good luck with your move!

It didnt get any better. Its OK back here on the edge of town among the golf courses and orchards but the rest of town is pretty shabby . Tacoma's worse by a long shot so its all a matter of perspective.

And Nazi Germany developed the MP-40 and STG44... ;)

Well, yeah... They also developed global warming and a lot of people embrace that now adays.

Hard to not go political in these threads but some would say a great president once came from California as well. Just because they have lost their way doesn't mean it couldn't one day be what it once was.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews