JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is the most rounds per minute you've shot from a standard AR platform with 30rd mags? Is it anywhere near 800? Outside of costing nearly $250 just to try it and I question which lower end ARs would stand up to it, I still hear "high/over educated" voters saying they are capable. Protesters being interviewed.

I get rate of fire but I still hear the bullets make them full auto. High cap magazines make them full auto. It never stops and people that don't want to learn, never will.

I've honestly only done a few mag dumps with my rifles and done maybe 2 mag dumps full auto in the Air Force.

I think about 150 is about right, if it takes about 10 seconds to empty the mag and 2 seconds to reload.
This is just an appropriate approximation.

I get rate of fire but I still hear the bullets make them full auto. High cap magazines make them full auto. It never stops and people that don't want to learn, never will
Cyclic rate and sustained rate of fire are two different things (you seem to know that already).

Taking the cyclic rate of an AR15 and extrapolating that into an RPM number is a favorite tactic of gun banners. Yes, the bolt cycles fast, but not really faster than any other semiauto. Jerry Miculek can shoot a revolver just about as fast as most of us can stroke the trigger on an auto pistol. The number is theoretical.

Sustained rate of fire is what the firearm itself is capable of without damage, and still doesn't take into account mag changes.

We used to fire M60s til the barrel glowed red. You could SEE the rounds going through it. It's why A-gunners were invented, to carry and change the barrel for the actual gunner.

In short: yes, an AR can cycle at 800/min... but no, you can't actually DO it (or anything even close).

IF you can find one and.......... IF you can afford it........ The fastest cycling shoulder held rifle is the H&K G11. Fires caseless ammunition at a 3 round burst of 3,100rpm using a cylindrical feed/bolt system..
Its fun firing, but VERY expensive to feed. First two rounds are virtually in the same hole with the third touching the edge of the first two.

IF you can find one and.......... IF you can afford it........ The fastest cycling shoulder held rifle is the H&K G11. Fires caseless ammunition at a 3 round burst of 3,100rpm using a cylindrical feed/bolt system..
Its fun firing, but VERY expensive to feed. First two rounds are virtually in the same hole with the third touching the edge of the first two.

Strange that it will only do around 400 rounds/minute in full auto but the 3 round burst is so fast it sounds like one shot. :eek:

A wake up call for those wanting full-autos............. Ladies and Gentlemen, many years ago I held a Class III license, and the majority of my sales were to Law Enforcement Agencies. I've had the common and the exotic pass through my hands. The Military and LOE agencies have a huge advantage over you. They don't pay for the ammunition. so:

"Wow, Martha!! I got it!! My Owner's Certificate for a Full-Auto rifle!!! It's waaayyy cool and fires 850 rounds per minute! I'm going out back and practice!"

*Thirty minutes later* "Martha, I'm out of ammo. I'm going to run down to the sporting goods store and buy some more! It sure went through 4,000 rounds pretty fast, but what fun!! Can I have another $1,480 dollars for another 30 minutes of fun?!?!"

"Well, John.......... How about you go brush your teeth first and then...... BITE ME!"

That's about how it's going to be. LEO's and the Military have many thousands of rounds supplied by their agencies to become proficient. You, the citizen, do not. A sub-Machinegun in 9mm takes an average of 20,000 rounds to get to a reasonable simile of proficiency. It takes another average of 2,000 rounds per month to maintain that level.

A Full-auto rifle is another story altogether. It's too long an explanation for me to type here, but a standard 20 round magazine can be emptied in a few, short seconds. We're not talking about a bipod deployed BAR or an M2 .50 caliber. You'd NEVER be able to support that ammunition cost factor in your lifetime.......... I'm talking about the far more available rifles. Talk to anyone who has specific experience on a range with a shoulder fired full-auto rifle.

Shoulder held........First round.... on the money........ second round..... 6" high........ ALL the rest....... off the target. You won't be able to purchase a 3 round burst rifle that cycles much faster, but that is the only version that comes close to any accuracy with a full-auto shoulder fired rifle, unless it's an H&K G11. That's a 3 round burst that cycles at 3,200rpm, but only in a burst mode. All three hits withing a couple of inches of each other, sometimes less.

Save your money. Buy her a ring or a new car. The cost will be about the same as a week of full-auto fire.

A wake up call for those wanting full-autos............. Ladies and Gentlemen, many years ago I held a Class III license, and the majority of my sales were to Law Enforcement Agencies. I've had the common and the exotic pass through my hands. The Military and LOE agencies have a huge advantage over you. They don't pay for the ammunition. so:

"Wow, Martha!! I got it!! My Owner's Certificate for a Full-Auto rifle!!! It's waaayyy cool and fires 850 rounds per minute! I'm going out back and practice!"

*Thirty minutes later* "Martha, I'm out of ammo. I'm going to run down to the sporting goods store and buy some more! It sure went through 4,000 rounds pretty fast, but what fun!! Can I have another $1,480 dollars for another 30 minutes of fun?!?!"

"Well, John.......... How about you go brush your teeth first and then...... BITE ME!"

That's about how it's going to be. LEO's and the Military have many thousands of rounds supplied by their agencies to become proficient. You, the citizen, do not. A sub-Machinegun in 9mm takes an average of 20,000 rounds to get to a reasonable simile of proficiency. It takes another average of 2,000 rounds per month to maintain that level.

A Full-auto rifle is another story altogether. It's too long an explanation for me to type here, but a standard 20 round magazine can be emptied in a few, short seconds. We're not talking about a bipod deployed BAR or an M2 .50 caliber. You'd NEVER be able to support that ammunition cost factor in your lifetime.......... I'm talking about the far more available rifles. Talk to anyone who has specific experience on a range with a shoulder fired full-auto rifle.

Shoulder held........First round.... on the money........ second round..... 6" high........ ALL the rest....... off the target. You won't be able to purchase a 3 round burst rifle that cycles much faster, but that is the only version that comes close to any accuracy with a full-auto shoulder fired rifle, unless it's an H&K G11. That's a 3 round burst that cycles at 3,200rpm, but only in a burst mode. All three hits withing a couple of inches of each other, sometimes less.

Save your money. Buy her a ring or a new car. The cost will be about the same as a week of full-auto fire.

I was able to be "silhouette proficient" with an MP-5 in FA after a couple of magazines. I'm not sure what you mean here.

And yes, MG's are expensive and ultimately a waste of ammo. But they sure are fun!

so are we talking about cyclic rate or actual rounds fired in 1 minute?

because ive shot a full 30rounds semi automatically as fast as i could pull the trigger.

ive bump fired 30rounds as fast as i could "pull" the trigger

and ive shot an m16 with the fun switch selected. so however fast it goes...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top