Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Most modern civilian AK variant?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by CharlesAFerg, Nov 20, 2011.

1. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

I would like your thoughts on the most modern AK variant available to civilians. Particularly, the 5.45x39 rifles, or any ak-74 variant. Regardless, more modern. What am I looking at in terms of selection?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

2. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I had an Arsenal SGL-31 and it was nice. I mean it's a Saiga that is made in Russian..... I think for what they charge you, it should come with at least two 30 rnd mags, a sling, and a cleaning kit (the little one that goes in the stock).... but whatever. Mine only came with a 10 rnd mag and a cleaning rod....pffffft. The finish was aight.... nothing to brag about but the quality was pretty good. I did run surplus ammo and had no issues at all.... not a single jam. Now I have a Romanian Draco AK47 and I like that too. I am not trying to slam on the parts kits but I like my AKs made from new parts.... meaning no miss matched or some used, some new parts.

3. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

For the most part, all civilian AKs will perform the same. (Just do some due diligence before you buy; some manufacturers do not have the best of reputations, but they are easy to weed out with a little research.) Fit and finish is a little different. On the retail side, the Arsenals are probably the best overall value for price, fit and finish, and will most likely retain a decent 'collectors' value' in the years to come because of the Russian receiver. Nothing wrong with the Romanian rifles either though, which are still excellent values for budget-minded folks. If you take a high-end AK and run it through typical combat conditions for a few weeks, its gonna look identical to that inexpenive WASR.

4. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

I think the real "best value" for price is found on any AK varient built by TG International. Their builds seem to be of a higher fit & finish quality than Century Arms & I have sold many TGI guns with never a complaint. The couple of styles I have recently received I bought
    from www.centerfiresystems.com
    I do know the AMD-65 part#AKAGUN-AMD & the Hi-Cap Bulgarian AK-47 part#AKAGUN-SSR85C-HC are both put together
    by TG Industries

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  5. hawmanai

hawmanai SW OR Member

Check out the Galil, Isreal took the best features of the AK/Valmet M76/M16 and rolled them into the Galil. They are really hard to find and expensive, especially the 7.62.

Watch out for some of the Century arms 223 copies as they could have feeding problems.

GALIL RIFLE HISTORY
    galil sniper
    800px-IMI-Galil.jpg
    sniper3.gif

6. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

What is your idea of modern?

7. CharlesAFerg

Relatively modern;
    AK-107, AN-94, AEK-971..

8. Unka-Boo

Followed by "available to civilians "....none of those qualify.

Closest you could come is a "100 series", whether based off of a Saiga ( like a new Arsenal ) or the older Arsenal SLR10X series.

9. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Ah...by modern you mean MODERN :) . Yeah, the closest you are gonna get to the AK 100 series is a converted Saiga. You can get the latching folding stock as an option too.

Keith

10. Unka-Boo

Yup

021.jpg

11. pogi

pogi Gresham, OR Active Member

yep, 100 series is the most "modern".

12. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

BS!! The "classic" AK is the best... look at that AWESOME gas block compared to that chunky-monkey 100-series gas block... its svelt!!

021.jpg
    100_2253.jpg
    100_2255.jpg

13. Unka-Boo

Once again, you fail to read the topic other than "AK" in the title....and what's so "classic" about an ACE folder? Oh...and where are your dimples?

:wave:

14. FireArm

FireArm Beavercreek 97004 Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

if your gonna get a ak to shoot alot get a milled polytech or a milled norinco, made in the same factories. Not exactly super modern but the milled ak's now day just suck balls!!!

15. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Wuddaya mean, "once again"? :bluelaugh:

YOU failed to notice I was referring to the CLASSIC gas block versus the "chunky-monkey", NOT the WASR-10/63 (BTW- full of WIN) or the ACE folder... don't make me throw some poo at you, Boo! :club: ;)

16. CharlesAFerg

17. Unka-Boo

:funnypoint:

dood....seriously....did you read anything before you posted? :laugh:

18. CharlesAFerg

19. CharlesAFerg

With all that said, what about optics? I noticed that most Russian optics are somewhere between slightly to the left and far to the left. Are there any lefties here that fire AKs with Russian optics like a RAKURS, or a PK-AS holographic?

20. Unka-Boo

My leftytardedness went with an Ulimak/ PA dot dot combo. As I dont have a side rail, it made the most sense. Has been working great for almost two years worth of PR matches.

Check out the RS regulate Aimpoint mounts, halmbarte is using one on his SLR107, and has had great luck with it. He has also used a PKAS in the past, so he might be able to give some insight there.