JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
No this isn't a thread about your experiences with Fireball whisky. You can start that on your own.

As a kid I remember pounding a wad of matchstick heads wrapped in foil with a hammer for a "bang".
My kids frequently repurposed piccolo pete's into fire crackers.
However, my most memorable bang was the time I experimented with a cherry bomb packed in flour.

I wondered if you could spread out the flour enough so it would ignite like it does when granaries go up.

In the middle of a large dirt field we placed a large non metal container (no top) with flour and the "device" using a very long fuse.

It went of with a bang then a bigger Wump that rattled windows a fair ways away and the fireball was massive. Yup granery fires are a thing.
I am glad we took mythbuster's like precautions and didn't risk anything. Now I'm wondering if tannerite in a dryer full of flour would go off? Nah, just kidding.

If you do decide to blow up a dryer, please haul it and all the garbage away.

Stay safe (and legal) out there. :s0149:šŸŽƒ

Without going into details as a 'kid' (well teenager anyway) we made (and compressed) both hydrogen and acetylene and filled balloons with it and sent them into the sky at night with very crude (but effective) 'Time delay detonators' for a nice blast once they got a couple hundred feet up....

a big balloon filled with oxy/acetylene taped to a 20 length of pvc pipe stuffed into a "live" burning barrel. Elmer fudded the burning barrel, it was a blast.

Shooting Black Betty.

And this was with a flash hider installed.

8D561509-A08B-48FE-BE07-55339505549A.jpeg

When I was a teenager, my brother in law would bring me along with a bunch of his buddies and we would ride dirt bikes out at El Mirage Lake in Kalifornya. Always seemed that towards the end of the evening a fire would be built away from camp and a 5 gal propane bottle would be set in it, allowed to get good and hot, then shot.... I'm not saying this was even remotely smart, but it sure was a badass fireball.

When a kid Chemistry teacher told the class how to make smoke with Potassium nitrate mixed with powdered sugar. This was before cigarettes were made so they would not smolder until the ended. So idea mix some up, put it in a container, light cigarette, you have about a 5 minute fuse. Well tell this to a bunch of teen boys and what do you think happens in a school? First obstacle was buying the stuff, turned out they did not want to sell it to kids. Parents when told teacher gave us project were all too willing to pick it up. Next was he did not tell us the stuff burns so hot it will melt glass. When a couple of these go off at school the school was anything but amused and fired the teacher. It was amazing we did not burn the damn place down.
Another time buddy and I skipping school, hanging out in a tree house way out in woods in winter. Had a fire going in 5 gal metal bucket. Got the great idea to toss in a half full can of butane for filling lighters. "Thought" it would make a fun boom. It blew the roof clean off the damn place. Thank god it was raining so damn good or we would have started a damn huge fire out there! I often wonder how all of us survived growing up. I really wonder that now with the net to show kids all kinds of really stupid crap. We had no way to learn about this other than passed down. If we had access to the info on the net back then? I doubt all of us would have lived.

On the 4th of July 2021 I lit a quarter pound of mixed smokeless powder ( maybe some BP) from dismantling old ammunition . Just pouring it on a sheet of newspaper and using a firework cracker for the fuse and fast ignition. We were rewarded with a fireball 12 feet high with lots of sparks and heat that lasted 5 seconds or more. šŸ˜ƒ . Repeated until all two pound were gone.

civil war reenactment. a ground charge was placed. They were flagged to be avoided, but someone did not avoid. Blew a dude into the air, gave him a good concussion and knocked him out, (not sure if it was the blast or how he landed) but he was alive with all parts attached. But seeing him tossed into the air in fire and smoke was pretty memorable.

A pro method!

A pro method!
The cremora method is still used, but is getting dated. There is a lot of fallout from all of the unburnt powder and the area smells of burned marshmallows. I prefer the smell of diesel myself. The current trend in fireballs is a mix of gas and diesel, ignited by a small charge of BP.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top