JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking about ways to make a Glock muzzleloader. My best idea is to use a go gage as the primer holder and breech face. The go gauge would need to be machined to accept a 209 style primer and have a through hole to allow fire to reach powder load.

If a few mils of powdercoat were applied to the exterior of the go gauge it could then be lightly pounded into the chamber and create a good seal. Holes could be drilled through barrel chamber and into go gauge allowing the go gauge to be secured to the chamber with set screws. A couple of decent size set screws screwed in flush from top of barrel hood should be sufficient to hold go gauge in the chamber.

Extractor claw would have to be removed from extractor.

This same technique could be used on many centerfire firearms where full length go gauges were available.

Here are a couple of photos that show different angles of 9mm go gauge.

1706874736751.png

1706874773682.png

Last Edited:
This same set up could be used in a more temporary fashion for big bore AR15s. The BCG would hold the go gauge in the chamber as long as gas system was terminated. Using powdercoat only to seal go gauge in chamber would be a good idea. Removing extractor from bcg would also be a good idea.

Centerfire bullets are designed to go forward through a bore....
If you were to load from the muzzle , the bullet will be forced to go backwards down the bore.
Not sure if this will cause issues or not...
Just something to consider here.

In any event....
I do understand the idea of being creative or doing something new or different.

With that said...
There may be reasons why some ideas are not tried or made into reality by firearm manufacturers.
Things like a very limited market or application of the idea , practicality , cost , etc....
Or in the case of the OP here....
You are modifying a firearm to do something completely different from what it was designed to do.
Which is not a good idea , in my mind.
Andy

Edit to add.....
To dry ball , is a term muzzle loaders use when they forget to load the powder down the bore.
To fix this...one can in a traditional muzzle loader try several things like :
Removing the nipple and pouring powder down the flash channel of the bolster / drum....
Or attach a ball puller to the end of a ram rod...pout oil or water down the bore...think pure thoughts...
And try to pull the lead ball up the bore.
This does work , because of the soft lead used in a round ball......

Modern bullets ain't made like that...So if one were to dry ball your design....
Not sure how one would remove the bullet here.

Now in extreme situations with a dry ball....you can take the muzzle loader apart and un thread the breech and drive the patch and ball out...
Again , not sure if this would work with your OP idea.

Last Edited:
An extreme thought exercise for the extreme "what - if", when we no longer have brass, primers or smokeless powder. The gear head in me says, "WTF, Watson!"
You know by now my "why" threshold is pretty low. CMMG took a whack at it and I have no idea why.

One advantage of having a muzzleloader configured firearm is they are less regulated.
Maybe...
However...your rifle or pistol which started out as a centerfire firearm....
May still be subject to Modern Firearm rules and regulations , no matter if it is configured as a muzzle loader , under the eyes of the ATF.
Andy

Last Edited:
Well to each their own. While making muzzleloaders out of some of the platforms you are talking about doesn't tickle my fancy, I say knock yourself out! Many here know I had a cva single shot centerfire rifle in 45-70 converted to a muzzleloader with a threaded breech. This is by far the most accurate muzzleloader I have ever owned as it rivals and surpasses many of my centerfires in accuracy. The advantage to me is being a modern barrel, smokeless powders can be used as well as bp and substitutes. Converting a modern weapon to a muzzleloader does not make it immune to the regulations pertaining to modern arms. I have developed accurate loads for this cva for hunting modern seasons and for use during the muuzzleloader seasons. So far I have taken 3 deer with it. Besides being a great hunting rifle it is a hoot to shoot at the range and priceless to see the looks on the faces of many when I outshoot their centefires with my front stuffer.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews