JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
VsXyEfUkzhLbD-imOwr7DvlrmSRfQ-zfzWqvtOV-w&usqp=CAU.jpg

The Army has some bad azz stuff that makes awesome fireballs and was happy to be on our side !
I think the fuel air bomb nick named "daisy cutter" is an example of BA ordnance.

"During the Vietnam War, the USAF used 10,000-pound M121 bombs left over from World War II, to blast Helicopter Landing Zones in the dense undergrowth. As the supply of M121 bombs dwindled, the USAF developed the Bomb Live Unit-82/B (BLU-82/B) as a replacement. Weighing a total of 15,000 pounds, the BLU-82/B was essentially a large thin-walled tank (1/4-inch steel plate) filled with a 12,600-pound explosive "slurry" mixture. The designers optimized this bomb to clear vegetation while creating little or no crater, and it cleared landing zones about 260 feet in diameter -- just right for helicopter operations. Since only cargo aircraft could carry them, C-130 crews delivered the BLU-82/B with normal parachute cargo extraction systems."

Well that led to this...

The GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB, colloquially known as the "Mother of All Bombs") is a large-yield bomb. It was first tested in 2003. At the time of development, it was said to be the most powerful non-nuclear weapon in the American arsenal.

Daisy Cutter.jpg MOABAFAM.jpg

I think the fuel air bomb nick named "daisy cutter" is an example of BA ordnance.

"During the Vietnam War, the USAF used 10,000-pound M121 bombs left over from World War II, to blast Helicopter Landing Zones in the dense undergrowth. As the supply of M121 bombs dwindled, the USAF developed the Bomb Live Unit-82/B (BLU-82/B) as a replacement. Weighing a total of 15,000 pounds, the BLU-82/B was essentially a large thin-walled tank (1/4-inch steel plate) filled with a 12,600-pound explosive "slurry" mixture. The designers optimized this bomb to clear vegetation while creating little or no crater, and it cleared landing zones about 260 feet in diameter -- just right for helicopter operations. Since only cargo aircraft could carry them, C-130 crews delivered the BLU-82/B with normal parachute cargo extraction systems."

Well that led to this...

The GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB, colloquially known as the "Mother of All Bombs") is a large-yield bomb. It was first tested in 2003. At the time of development, it was said to be the most powerful non-nuclear weapon in the American arsenal.

View attachment 1305271 View attachment 1305272
The "Daisy Cutter" sounds cute daaaaazaaaannngggggg !

Most memorable fireballs...

Well, not really a fireball, but I cooked off a smoke grenade in my hand once. Was on a weeklong field training exercise. Had been up for two, two and a half days, no sleep and going balls to the wall. We hit the RP and set up in a lager waiting to refuel.

Absent-mindedly picked up a smoke grenade and was tugging on the pin. Dont ask me why... I was severely sleep deprived. After a few tugs, heard a "ping" as the spoon sailed away into the darkness and I was looking at the pin hanging from my finger, and a bunch of sparks, flames and smoke coming from my hand. Took a few seconds for my brain to process what was happening.

Chucked the smoke grenade off to the side. Fortunately it was dark and the smoke and sparks were not noticed with the low dunes and scrub bushes . I dropped down inside the turret to get some white light on the situation. Neosporin, gauze and duct tape wasn't going to fix this.

My gunner "ordered" me to di di mau to see the medics. I didn't argue. My fingers were pretty toasty.

Long story short, the medics squeezed a couple of tubes of silvadene on my hand and wrapped it with a couple of rolls of gauze and told me to keep it dry and clean and to see them back in garrison.

The hand healed up nicely and I swear by silvadene to this day. :D

Last Edited:
My dad had the obligatory oxyacetylene torch set in the garage. I filled a hefty bag with acetylene and took it out bach and lit it with a match. Made this really cool wall of fire that burned through the bag. Cool. Then I filled a bag part with acetylene and part with that other gas. 55 gallon hefty bag drum tight. Took it out back and lit it with a match. Must not have gotten the ratio just right. Maybe a little rich. Next thing you know I'm looking up from the ground . My ears were ringing and I could smell the burned hair from where my eyebrows used to be and my skin felt like it was on fire because it had been a few seconds earlier. Kind of like a really bad arc welding flash burn. As I looked up I saw the black mushroom cloud rising above me. Needed a little more oxygen to get that combustion just right. I told my dad I was working on my dirt bike carburetor and it backfired in my face. Dad didn't care all that much.

A Djeep lighter taped to a pair of M80s. Blew a 6"funnel shaped crater in fresh asphalt and rolled a mushroom shaped fireball that would have made any bomb technician proud.

Gawd, I miss M80s.

Well, how about a Mk8 hose charge wrapped around a 40lb. cratering charge, plus 2 lbs. of TNT, 1 lb. of C4, and about 20 feet of det cord; capped in at three locations and placed gingerly in a three foot deep hole, buried and tamped.
Then, "Fire in the hole, fire in the hole, fire in the hole", twist and hold, and BOOOOOOM ! ! ! ! !

And a good time was had by all.

The End.

@Hooyah DeepSea Yikes, what were you doing?....Putting airstrips to sleep?

Twelve years ago today, someone was doing a little experimentation with home made explosives HME. I touched them off with a the front rollers. I was put on 24 hours rest.
I went back out on the 8th of November, and caught a doozy (approx 65lb) with the rear drivers-side tire. Banked 72 hours on that one.
More flash than fire-ball though.
file005505.jpg
AAA towing due to a flat tire.~2010
IMG_1141.JPG
Two ABV on their way to a border village.~2011

I would say that the MICLIC is one of the most impressive "fire-walls."
Video below is not mine....I am not technically talented enough to upload videos...And they get kind of boring after awhile.
***ATTN***Lower the Volume before Clicking***ATTN***

Last Edited:
I think we might have been barred from Fort Hunter Liggett for something similar...The whole platoon fit in it for a below grade photo.

A Djeep lighter taped to a pair of M80s. Blew a 6"funnel shaped crater in fresh asphalt and rolled a mushroom shaped fireball that would have made any bomb technician proud.

Gawd, I miss M80s.
First trip to Mexico as a grade school kid we were told we could buy any thing we wanted. So we saved and saved. At that time soda came in those glass bottles. People would just dig a hole and dump their trash. So those 2 quart bottles were all over. Found an M-80 was a perfect fit. Fuse in middle, two bottles end to end. They threw glass further than we could see. Adults back at camp drinking and ignoring us had no idea what the hell we were up do further down the beach. Amazing none of us got badly hurt. :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top