JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey y'all,

So, I have set my sights on a 10/22 as my next rifle and I have been doing my research here and on other forums. What I'm planning on doing is swapping out the factory barrel for a .920 bull barrel (likely an 18" Green Mountain) and probably switching out the factory stock for a Bell and Carlson (either an Anschutz or a Target/Varmint). My question is: Would it be more economical to buy a new rifle at Bi-Mart (I think they're around $200 right now) and sell the factory barrel and stock, or is there somewhere to buy just the receiver and bolt? I wouldn't expect to sell the takeoff parts for much, but I imagine I could get at least $40-$50 for the brand new factory barrel and stock (please correct me if this is wrong). From my searching, I haven't been able to find an economical bolt and receiver--all the aftermarket ones I find are more then the base rifle itself. I'm not looking for the ultimate target rifle, just something that will work for plinking and varmint hunting. I know that the basic 10/22, unmodified, will suit my tasks just fine, but I just love the way that the B&C feels and I like the extra weight up front that the bull barrel imparts. I would be open to buying a used rifle and scavenging the bolt and receiver from that, but it seems people are asking about the same price for a used one as I could purchase new from Bi-Mart. So, any help or words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!

I was contemplating this and just bought a Ruger 10-22 with a Fajen? stock and a Ruger heavy hammer forged barrel.Factory gun. It was around $450 I believe.
Pretty good shooter with regular velocity rounds.
Bought a base stock 10-22 with a folder from a friend. Shot as good as my fancy rifle. Then I put the Volquarsen trigger in the fancy gun and shrank the groups considerably,with the same ammo.
About 2 months ago the shop took a well used 10-22 in and after shooting it,I wonder why guys change out the barrels.

So the moral of my story is,you may change things and not have a more accurate gun.But look around because there are some factory guns with the cool stuff on them

Thanks for the reply mjbskwim,

I've definitely considered starting with a factory Target model that comes with a bull barrel (would be nice to have that full factory warranty intact). But I don't really like the factory stocks, so I'd want to change that out anyway. Given that fact, I figure it will be cheaper in the end to just buy the cheapo 10/22 and build it up just how I want it. Takeoff stocks and barrels are all over the place, but a stand-alone bolt and receiver are seemingly impossible to come by. I guess that's just the name of the game with such a widely customized firearm.

There is nothing economical about "modding" a 10/22 as you'll never (or almost never) get out of it what you put in. :D I am not saying this as a bad thing, however I have never found a reciever and action for cheaper then the gun itself. Also, with my budget for "gun fun" I couldn't purchase the receiver and action, then add all the parts right away, I'd have to buy them over time. I'd much rather have a gun I can shoot, then buy the parts one by one and upgrade them as I get them maintaining that I have a shootable rifle. Your experience may differ depending on what you can spend. You may also be able to sell some of the take off parts to recoup a small amount on the new parts. There is a member on here who takes factory 10/22 barrels, turns them down and sleeves them with aluminum to make a heavy barrel. He then re-cuts the camber to what you want and you end up with a nice target barrel.

With all this said, mjbskwim makes a very good point.

Thanks Diesel Scout,

You are absolutely right. What I meant when I said "economical" was "cheapest way to get the exact rifle that I want." Like souping up a car, I would never expect to resell it for what I put into it. I really don't plan on selling it anyway. I'd much rather pass it down to my kids than see a rifle I'd built up go to another home (the horror!).

As far as buying the rifle piece by piece, you are totally correct on that front too. I certainly don't have the cash laying around to build the rifle up to my dream specs in one fell swoop, so buying a base model 10/22 and adding the upgrades as I can afford them is definitely the way to go, for me.

I just think it's crazy that somebody doesn't sell a 10/22 action for less than $200. I don't need a $400 Volquartsen receiver because I'm not looking to build a 200yd. tack driver, just something that's reasonably accurate and cheap to shoot. I also don't understand why Ruger feels that it should cost an extra $200+ to get a 10/22 with a bull barrel. I'd gladly pay $300 for one but the ~$430 price for a factory 10/22 just seems like a tall order (even if it does come with a spruced up stock). I guess they've got their profit margins all figured out, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about it! :complain:

That's very interesting to hear about the NWFA member who custom builds bull barrels. Not a bad idea at all. Do you happen to know what he charges for the modification, or if he buys factory takeoff barrels?

Thanks again for all the input!

Buy a 10/22, sell off the factory stock/barrel. Get the barrel and stock you want. Send the trigger pack to Bill Springfield to have it smoothed out, reduce pull to 2.5-3lbs - $39.00 ($44 is hammer lightening added). Send the bolt to one of the bolt machining/polishing services on Ebay - $25-$40. Put a bolt buffer in it vs the steel pin. Buy a better/larger charging handle with custom springs for hotter loads or subsm (KIDD or Rimfire Central). Buy a $15 bolt release for the trigger pack. For mags, stick to BX-25. That is about it on the cheap. If you have loads to spend of course there are better options, these are 'budget options.' An X-ring receiver would be great at some point of course as would all the higher end stuff once you want to budget for that.

Ok my 2 cents....

A Volquartsen extractor is a must with an aftermarket barrel.

Green Mt barrels are a deal.

Stock 10/22 triggers are hideous. I think the Rimfire Technologies trigger is the best bang for the buck.

Don't pay for an aftermarket bolt release. A dremel or file in 2 min will achieve the same result.

Whatever stock you choose, pillar bed it. It seems like a bit of work but it makes a huge difference.

Cheap ammo shoots like cheap ammo. Use mini mags or better yet match ammo for best accuracy.

Rimfirecentral.com is your friend.

I shot this target with my 10/22 at 100 yards and regulary shoot it out to 300.:)

scan0001.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews