JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 13 year old surprised me today. We were at the gun shop and as we were leaving he asked me if he could get his own gun for x-mas. This was surprising since he had never shown any interest in guns until I took him for his first range day this past week. He shot my SIG P226 and loved it. Now I just have to decide what to get him. I am thinking either a SIG Mosquito or a Walther P22... Or maybe I should just get him a 9mm like a G19 or a SIG 2022. Thoughts?

I suggest a Buckmark or a used High Standard 103 or later. Simple, reliable, easy takedown and accurate enough for learning. I've had both the Mosquito and the P22 and they can be good or bad, depending on your luck and can be finicky on ammo.

The ones I mentioned will teach good alignment, trigger skills, and maintenance, with the obligatory dose of responsibility.

I think it is best to learn on a SA before you go to a longer trigger pull on a DA or striker action.

A .22 revolver could be another good choice.

I've honestly owned both; most recently the Sig Mosquito. From my experiences, the P22 had much fewer FTF's and FTE's than the Mosquito. The Mosquito is a little bigger and was better for me since I had big hands. However, I wish I never sold my P22 in favor of the bigger Sig Mosquito. The Mosquito was VERY VERY picky with ammo, even with the CCI Minimags (36 and 40 grain). When it did work, it was nice. The P22 gave me fewer problems but I still would never purchase either again. If you want something more reliable in 22lr I would highly suggest a Buckmark, Ruger Mark 2 or 3, or even a Taurus 94 Revolver or 990 in 22lr. I now have the Taurus and LOVE it but they are pretty heavy.

No experience with either of those, but the first handgun I ever shot (7 yrs old. Still have the gun) is a Ruger .22. Can't go wrong.

A glock 19 might make a great choice. I know you're looking at more recoil but he's a growing boy, before you know it he will NEED a 9mm. Then again if money isn't an issue you can always wait for the g19 until next year. I don't think it'll hurt to start him on a bigger gun though, next thing you know he will be buying a .45!

I have had both the Mosquito, and now a P22. The Mosquito was the most unreliable gun I've ever owned. The P22 is much better but still stovepipes and jams more than I like.

I'd get him a Ruger MKIII.

I suggest a Buckmark or a used High Standard 103 or later. Simple, reliable, easy takedown and accurate enough for learning. I've had both the Mosquito and the P22 and they can be good or bad, depending on your luck and can be finicky on ammo.

The ones I mentioned will teach good alignment, trigger skills, and maintenance, with the obligatory dose of responsibility.

I think it is best to learn on a SA before you go to a longer trigger pull on a DA or striker action.

A .22 revolver could be another good choice.

^ Good advice right there.

Go Ruger or Buckmark if the .22 route. While the P22 or Mosquito might have looks are their side, reliability is clearly not. He's 13, no need for a 9mm yet. Plus .22 will be something he can afford to shoot once he gets older and is in HS and then college.

Save a centerfire for a present for when he's older, considering that it'll be a long time before he can purchase a handgun from a dealer.

My thoughts are this: My son's first gun, and given to him on Xmas no less, will be an heirloom. I don't think a Mosquito qualifies. Why not find a great quality old High Standard, or a nice Ruger stainless Single-Six, or Mark II, or Mark III.

In my gunsafe I have a NIB Stainless Blackhawk that I bought when my son was born. It won't be his first gun by any means, but he'll get it for something important, like his 21st birthday or guaduation. These things are important and not to be taken lightly. No offense to anyone who thinks highly of the Mosquito.

Well, I took him out today to do some shopping around. I was hoping he would fall in love with a new .22 Ruger revolver like his old man, but what did he fall in love with??? The super space age looking Beretta Neos Inox of course. I was so happy that he has taken an interest in shooting that I do not even mind his poor taste. :)

Well, I took him out today to do some shopping around. I was hoping he would fall in love with a new .22 Ruger revolver like his old man, but what did he fall in love with??? The super space age looking Beretta Neos Inox of course. I was so happy that he has taken an interest in shooting that I do not even mind his poor taste. :)

I would have thought that looked cool at that age too.

I haven't shot a mosquito but my p22 is fairly reliable, and it's factory threaded for a can. One thing to think about (with the growing hands and all) is the P22 comes with different interchangeable backstraps to accomodate paw size changes.
You could also do a G19 with one of the .22lr conversions and when he gets competent with that throw the 9mm slide on it. 2 guns in one.
The 22/45s are nice too and will get him used to the 1911 grip angle if he graduates to .45 acp. The grip angle on that inox looks awfully steep even by european gun standards.

How about a Ruger 10/22? I know you're talking about handguns, but the 10/22 is sure a fun little rifle. It has the added benefit of having a very well-developed after market accessory industry. I know my kids love to customize, and that seems to be a common theme among kids generally.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top