JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
He had the time to drive or walk around and shot the elk. Just saying.

How long would that take, realistically? Years ago, 60 or so elk were shot in a field near Ukiah in less than 5 minutes. Just sayin.

How long does it take to dress 25 elk, then load and transport them, probably one or two at a time, to the local meat processor, all at your own time and expense. BTW does anyone know if he would have to pay the meat processor or did ODFW expect that business to donate their services? Hmmmmm?

Mike Hanson ?
Is this the same guy that was ODFW in the 90's then went to the BATFE around 96.
Did he go back to being a game warden. Or is it someone else with the same name?

I did Smartpage, Google, and ODFW websites. I saw there was a Senior Game Trooper between 2007 and 2013. Then later there is a game biologist that was hired in Enterprise. I don't know if it's the same person. That's all I could find.

Mike Hanson game biologist has long been a thorn in the side of E Oregon residents. He was totally dispassionate about problems with cougars, and reintroduction of grizzly bears and wolves into the area. I think he was the guy that told people to "put bells on your children". Right, that makes it easier to locate their remains in griz poop. He also has a long history of refusing to work with Wallowa County residents on wolf depredation cases. Nope, those are just big dog tracks... nothing to see here! In other words, lies and agenda. They are not to be trusted!!!!

I have to say I don't like the idea of gutting and skinning 25 elk to give it all away. Even for a good cause, not small chore for one guy.
But I guess ODFW thinks if its big enough problem you'll take what you can get.
They should have given him 20 tags and he could sell to friends and family to help off set damage.
But what do I know.

In 2009 ODFW trapped and moved some elk from a so called urban herd near Medford. Why didn't the ODFW do more for this rancher? Was it because the more elk, the more tags they can sell? How many here have shot sage rats because they are a pest to ranchers or just for sport?

I absolutely have no idea on this but I reckon given the budget and staff cuts of all state agencies I doubt that ODFW has a slew of folks just sitting around and waiting to help people with animal problems. It seems to me regarding some opinions that they are damned if they get too involved and damned if they don't get involved enough.

Not defending them, just saying I doubt that they had the time, money and resources to do any more than they allegedly did.

I absolutely have no idea on this but I reckon given the budget and staff cuts of all state agencies I doubt that ODFW has a slew of folks just sitting around and waiting to help people with animal problems. It seems to me regarding some opinions that they are damned if they get too involved and damned if they don't get involved enough.

Not defending them, just saying I doubt that they had the time, money and resources to do any more than they allegedly did.

I can appreciate that ODFW has limitations on time and money. But apparently they have time to send a game biologist out to examine and then lie about the wolf tracks right next to a sheep kill. I don't trust them. How many endless committee meetings would they have to have to legalize some charities that could do the work of processing damage kills? How much time would it take to authorize the Harshfields to set that up on their own? Instead, they just put it all back on the landowner. Think they might have been tired of dealing with it? Or maybe they didn't have time to think about a good answer because they were all in meetings or on coffee break! SNAFU!!

I don't know about that, up here in WA it's have seen first hand some of the tactics of said "master hunters". Not all respect land owners instructions.
Sad to say but ODFW needs to handle this problem with hands on resolutions and not pit the landowners with doing all the work and taking care of their animals.
I do hope that this trial is going to set things straight and life can go on as it should.

I've seen it here on the coast too Jim. Shooting in closed sections, crossing property lines, shooting more elk than tags (due to the masters inability to judge a hit cow) to leaving animals lay to waist.
But I guess it could happen to anybody, right?:confused:

I did Smartpage, Google, and ODFW websites. I saw there was a Senior Game Trooper between 2007 and 2013. Then later there is a game biologist that was hired in Enterprise. I don't know if it's the same person. That's all I could find.

Mike Hanson game biologist has long been a thorn in the side of E Oregon residents. He was totally dispassionate about problems with cougars, and reintroduction of grizzly bears and wolves into the area. I think he was the guy that told people to "put bells on your children". Right, that makes it easier to locate their remains in griz poop. He also has a long history of refusing to work with Wallowa County residents on wolf depredation cases. Nope, those are just big dog tracks... nothing to see here! In other words, lies and agenda. They are not to be trusted!!!!

It cant be the same guy. He was way to nice for some duchee baggery like that.
Last I heard he was in southern Oregon in 2012 as atf. So the date's don't match up.

I know we all hate laws that suppress our abilities, but sounds like the feds gave this guy a way to get free food, hunt as he wanted to thin the heard and accomplish every goal he wanted. But instead when and wiped out a bunch of ELk all on his own knowing it was wrong. I have zero sympathy sorry....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
This guy didn't want FREE FOOD, he wanted to make a living like he had for the last 40 years. Most people in society don't like thieves correct! Elk are the thieves to the ranchers. They work all year long to feed there family and livestock from a crop that might grow 5 months this year just to watch it get destroyed every night, I get his frustrations. Would I have acted the same, hell no. I would have taken the emergency hunt option and called on my closest 20 friends on here to come help me shoot, gut and process the meat.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top