JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know about that, up here in WA it's have seen first hand some of the tactics of said "master hunters". Not all respect land owners instructions.
Sad to say but ODFW needs to handle this problem with hands on resolutions and not pit the landowners with doing all the work and taking care of their animals.
I do hope that this trial is going to set things straight and life can go on as it should.

If they are being hurt so badly by the Elk, and that is a LOT of Elk, then they could have let the state just run the hunt! So what if you can't control every last hair on the beast! Been ranching for a whole 40 years? Perhaps move to town and open a paint store! The ranchers in my family have been feeding the Deer and Elk for a great many years! I used to help haul feed out to the stations, we all thought it was worthwhile.

I don't know about that, up here in WA it's have seen first hand some of the tactics of said "master hunters". Not all respect land owners instructions.
Sad to say but ODFW needs to handle this problem with hands on resolutions and not pit the landowners with doing all the work and taking care of their animals.
I do hope that this trial is going to set things straight and life can go on as it should.
It does sound like that was their experience in the past.

Maybe I'm just selfish but if I owned a lot of property like them I wouldn't let strangers on it to hunt the states animals for damage control, no way. I would demand the state give me special damage hunt tags for that so family and friends that I trust can do the job and respect my land.
The state needs to man up and cater to these landowners and not make them grovel for substandard solutioms that do not work.

F that guy.
There are so many guys that would loved to have a chance to fill the freezer. Should have got the emergency hunt if it was really that bad, sell some tags at a cheap price and would have been a win win.
Hate the fact ranchers are selling late cow tags for $1000 and sometimes the cows have almost full grown calves when harvested.
Bad ranchers give bad name s to good ranchers just like bad hunters give good hunters a bad name.

Last Edited:
Maybe I'm just selfish but if I owned a lot of property like them I wouldn't let strangers on it to hunt the states animals for damage control, no way. I would demand the state give me special damage hunt tags for that so family and friends that I trust can do the job and respect my land.
The state needs to man up and cater to these landowners and not make them grovel for substandard solutioms that do not work.

I generally do not let people hunt my land because it isn't safe to do so (too hard to shoot in a safe direction). But then I don't shoot any deer I see on my land either and yes, they do destroy some of my vegetation. If I was going to shoot deer on my land, it would be within the law.

Seems to me a land owner should have rights to protect his lively hood, and the government should use all their resources (the people) to assist in controlling the problem with solutions that would be beneficial to all. To throw a citizen in jail for protecting his God given rights is a bit too much also. He had to have been frustrated, and that's why we all need friends to help navigate this life. By the sound of letters in that community, there,s not much sharing on the topic. You know this almost sounds like the recent protests against the BLM and there over reaction to govern properly for all people. Trump has said he will. Sent a Twitter to Mr. President Donald Trump to see if he could get his friend Ted Nugent to help in finding a solution. My thought is coordination with private citizens who can and has a network of interested companies to control the hunts and proceeds can be divided with land owners. Hunting companies are required to provide responsible guides on each hunting party that assures safety and rules, borders are followed, no wasted meat, (man I would love some of that meat wouldn't you?=) Land owners reimbursed, citizens (some open lottery, whatever) can enjoy, and all liability would be to the contracting company (s). TA DA. Sounds too easy, let's see what happens, if anyone hears any follow up pls share. I'm sure some one out there has connections, hey Joe L. if you get a hunting party to go there, I'm interested...

I don't care if you don't want strangers on your property. I get it, but to do what he did is BS and selfish. Give the tags to to your family and friends or some NWFA guys. No sense in shooting 25 elk and letting them rot.

IMO ODFW is basically lazy and too rigid in their thinking. This has long been in evidence by their steadfast refusal to admit to wolf predations in nearby Wallowa County (I'm NE OR resident since 1980). In this case, I think the best thing to do would be to develop feedings stations for elk like the one(s) in Baker County, the purpose of which is more to draw the elk away from raiding ranches than it is about the poor starving elk.

I don't think it is the land owners responsibility to foot the bill for feeding game critters. I don't expect rifle shooting should be allowed from strangers where neighboring houses are in range. I would expect the state's professional hunters could do the job but I bet ODFW doesn't want this herd thinned, unless by wolves.

In Alaska, the charity comes out and transports, then processes, the elk. The ODFW needs to do the work to set this up.

I don't care if you don't want strangers on your property. I get it, but to do what he did is BS and selfish. Give the tags to to your family and friends or some NWFA guys. No sense in shooting 25 elk and letting them rot.

The # of LOP tags available for acreage less than 1200 acres is only 2 tags... not much help.

Or did ODFW offer him emergency or what ever tags to help him out ?

What ever tags? The state works only with the laws and rules either passed by Legislature or promulgated by the ODFW committees, leadership, etc.

LOP tags = 2 (Land Owner Preference tags)
Emergency hunts are administered by ODFW from a list of shooters in their program. The landowners want control over who is shooting because of the nearby houses.

"The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife expects to implement very few emergency hunts during any year. On average, about 200 tags are issued annually statewide. Emergency hunt tags are in addition to tags for general seasons, controlled hunts, or leftover hunts. Emergency hunt participants are selected from a list established on a county-by-county basis."

Even so, we generally have only a few registered emergency hunt participants here in Union County.

Thought I did but you Mention 2 gas per 1200 acres

It's called research. That's where you look things up and know what you are talking about prior to making ignorant comments.

You asked if he tried to get ODFW involved. You asked if they offered him emergency hunt tags. All things that were in the article. Reading retention?

Last Edited:
It's called research. That's where you look things up and know what you are talking about prior to making ignorant comments.
After re reading the article, it sounds like the land owner wanted to do things his way or the high way.
Btw... I know what LOP tags Are and has nothing to do with the emergency hunt and what ever else ODFW offered. Hence why I don't see why even bring up 2 LOP tags.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews