JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After re reading the article, it sounds like the land owner wanted to do things his way or the high way.
Btw... I know what LOP tags Are and has nothing to do with the emergency hunt and what ever else ODFW offered. Hence why I don't see why even bring up 2 LOP tags.

Because you said "what ever tags". So I specified what types of tags are available and why they are not going to work in solving his problem.

The landowner said his reasons for not wanting strangers shooting on his property. IMO Unless you have been to his property, you are not qualified to make a judgement.

Because you said "what ever tags". So I specified what types of tags are available and why they are not going to work in solving his problem.

The landowner said his reasons for not wanting strangers shooting on his property. IMO Unless you have been to his property, you are not qualified to make a judgement.
Ok.
I said what ever tags because he had few different option from fish and game.
So It's all good.
But to waste 25 elk because you don't want strangers on your property is simply selfish.
Have hou been to his property?

Ok.
I said what ever tags because he had few different option from fish and game.
So It's all good.
But to waste 25 elk because you don't want strangers on your property is simply selfish.
Have hou been to his property?

No I haven't, but I wasn't the one passing judgement on his decision.

Again, what part him thinking it's too dangerous to have strangers shoot do you not understand? In consideration of the danger to his neighbors!!!!! How is that selfish?

I wouldn't have shot 25 elk in the first place. Secondly letting the meat go to waste IMO is a shame. In Alaska, that there is a big time crime. However, the ODFW placed all the responsibility for gutting, skinning, and transporting of any elk meat to the local charity. The landowners felt they did not have the capability of doing that. So shouldn't the ODFW share some of the responsibility for game wastage? Why is it so hard for them to arrange to have the charities do it? If I lived in Wallowa Co, I would surely have volunteered.

Last Edited:
Seems to me a land owner should have rights to protect his lively hood, and the government should use all their resources (the people) to assist in controlling the problem with solutions that would be beneficial to all. To throw a citizen in jail for protecting his God given rights is a bit too much also. He had to have been frustrated, and that's why we all need friends to help navigate this life. By the sound of letters in that community, there,s not much sharing on the topic. You know this almost sounds like the recent protests against the BLM and there over reaction to govern properly for all people. Trump has said he will. Sent a Twitter to Mr. President Donald Trump to see if he could get his friend Ted Nugent to help in finding a solution. My thought is coordination with private citizens who can and has a network of interested companies to control the hunts and proceeds can be divided with land owners. Hunting companies are required to provide responsible guides on each hunting party that assures safety and rules, borders are followed, no wasted meat, (man I would love some of that meat wouldn't you?=) Land owners reimbursed, citizens (some open lottery, whatever) can enjoy, and all liability would be to the contracting company (s). TA DA. Sounds too easy, let's see what happens, if anyone hears any follow up pls share. I'm sure some one out there has connections, hey Joe L. if you get a hunting party to go there, I'm interested...

HUH? o_O

No I haven't, but I wasn't the one passing judgement on his decision.

Again, what part him thinking it's too dangerous to have strangers shoot do you not understand? In consideration of the danger to his neighbors!!!!! How is that selfish?

I wouldn't have shot 25 elk in the first place. Secondly letting the meat go to waste IMO is a shame. In Alaska, that there is a big time crime. However, the ODFW placed all the responsibility for gutting, skinning, and transporting of any elk meat to the local charity. The landowners felt they did not have the capability of doing that. So shouldn't the ODFW share some of the responsibility for game wastage? Why is it so hard for them to arrange to have the charities do it? If I lived in Wallowa Co, I would surely have volunteered?
Didn't he shoot elk on adjacent property as well?
I'm not saying ODFW did a good job. They did a bad job helping the rancher who was struggling but they gave him choices and he chose to do his own thing. Then he should have been smarter and cleaned up after him self.

Didn't he shoot elk on adjacent property as well?
I'm not saying ODFW did a good job. They did a bad job helping the rancher who was struggling but they gave him choices and he chose to do his own thing. Then he should have been smarter and cleaned up after him self.

Yup, he did. It was not stated who's property it was but I'm guessing it was not his. Elk don't care about property lines. A standard fence will not keep them out. I think that was not an OK thing for him to do, unless he had his neighbors permission.

The choices ODFW gave him were not viable according to the landowner for the reasons cited. That is the reason he chose to "do his own thing". IMO the ODFW was in no hurry and not willing to go to much effort to help. As I said originally, they are not for the landowner, and BTW they are not for your interests either.

Smarter and cleaned up huh. Good one!!

This is just me, but Someone going to notice 20 some elk laying around and rotting. So yeah he should have been little smartter and cleaned up his mess when he took the matter in his hands..... instead of having a F...it and cuff me attitude.
In the end he and the elk, both lost.

Mr. Harshfield is most likely a grizzled old bolstard (which I understand COMPLETELY) who probably caused the ODFW a LOT of grief over this before he did what he did. I can imagine he probably argued with them incessantly, swore, and spouted irrational personal opinions which only alienated himself from the ODFW even more. This would be not unlike someone defying SB 941, openly selling a gun without the FFL transfer and then getting caught.

In the Oregonian today. 25 carcasses found in Wallowa area.

Wallowa man arrested, charged with poaching after 25 elk carcasses found

They ought to throw the old basterd under the bus just for wasting the meat.
I mean raising meat for a living and then to waste meat what an AZZHAT.

No one actually owns land, animals come and go that's the way it is.

We feed our chickens every day.

And the Quail, Dove's, Blue jay's, Finches, Brown Creeper's, Chickadee's, Camp robber's, Squirrel's, Chipmunk's And sometimes the hawks when they eat our chicken's or feed we put out for the chicken's.
All in All I would guess that 5% off the feed we put out get's to the chicken's.
We have been wiped out down to 1 hen sitting on egg's many times over the year's but the egg layers are still here.

If you own live stock other animals are going to eat your feed or animal's.You have to live with it or figure out another way to make a buck.

I don't care about the laws on this one its just the waste and the my animal's are worth more than other's that has me PO'd.
They are all food retard !!!!!!!
The only reason anyone raises cow's is they are to stupid to jump a fence.

We all live on the same damn planet and have to figure out the right way to live with nature. Especially farmer's and rancher's.

Last Edited:
They ought to throw the old basterd under the bus just for wasting the meat.
I mean raising meat for a living and then to waste meat what an AZZHAT.

No one actually owns land, animals come and go that's the way it is.

We feed our chickens every day.

And the Quail, Dove's, Blue jay's, Finches, Brown Creeper's, Chickadee's, Camp robber's, Squirrel's, Chipmunk's And sometimes the hawks when they eat our chicken's or feed we put out for the chicken's.
All in All I would guess that 5% off the feed we put out get's to the chicken's.
We have been wiped out down to 1 hen sitting on egg's many times over the year's but the egg layers are still here.

If you own live stock other animals are going to eat your feed or animal's.You have to live with it or figure out another way to make a buck.

I don't care about the laws on this one its just the waste and the my animal's are worth more than other's that has me PO'd.
They are all food retard !!!!!!!
The only reason anyone raises cow's is they are to stupid to jump a fence.

We all live on the same damn planet and have to figure out the right way to live with nature. Especially farmer's and rancher's.
Excellent point, wasteful killing is not right and definitely another solution should have been taken. This is bigger than one rancher, one man, hopefully as he is in jail would his neighbors step up? Who can help this human being? And his wife who is also penalized at this point? Should they walk away from 40 yrs of work? I think my first thought is still viable, everyone there has to be affected or will be...

As far as I'm concerned it was not poaching, it was a citizen protecting his livelihood!

If the state owns the game . . . which they claim they do. They better darn well be responsible to keep them off private property or pay damages. They buy feed for the elk feeding stations without complaint and then they give the owner of the haystack plastic netting to keep the animals out of his hay!!!! Give me a break.

You have an agency that lets the wolves kill the sheep and cattle and that same agency lets THEIR Elk eat the hay the rancher needs to feed whatever livestock is left after the wolves and cats get done . . . I think you will see more and more of this type of response.

Court trial you say . . . I'd be surprised if you could get a conviction in this part of Oregon.

I think the ODFW is becoming the most despised government agency in northeastern Oregon.

Would you like to know how i really feel???

Sheldon

As far as I'm concerned it was not poaching, it was a citizen protecting his livelihood!

Court trial you say . . . I'd be surprised if you could get a conviction in this part of Oregon.

I think the ODFW is becoming the most despised government agency in northeastern Oregon.

Would you like to know how i really feel???

I dunno. The BLM and USFS aren't making too many friends, either.

I grew up in eastern Oregon and have a lot of respect for the landowners and their issues. While I can relate to not wanting strangers on my property, I think that with some negotiation a workable plan could have been worked out. As it is, the dude now has several charges against him and knowing the Feds, he'll probably get trucked to Portland to keep any regional bias from affecting the trial. Yeah, he'll come over here where the regional bias would have him hung for hurting "such a pretty animal".

Wasting 25 animals? Nope, not gonna back him up with that one. I'm sure, unless the guy is a real a$$hat to the community, he could have received a bunch of help disposing and distributing the carcasses so they wouldn't go to waste. And no one would have said a word.

Kind of like what happens to cats and wolves, SSS. Only in this case, SCE. (shoot, cut, eat)

I think that with some negotiation a workable plan could have been worked out.
Wasting 25 animals? Nope, not gonna back him up with that one.
I agree with Orygun on this. While I am sure none of us have any love loss for the ODFW, BLM or USFS the fact remains he self-righteously broke the law and now has FEW options. I suspect this is NOT his first run in with the ODFW - or any agency. I just hope this doesn't incite some sort of protest or 'standoff' like in Harney County.

Last Edited:
I just hope this doesn't incite some sort of protest or 'standoff' like in Harney County.

LOL. There is a big difference between Burns and Wallowa. It's a pretty sleepy lil area, as I'm sure you know. :)

I'm sure, unless the guy is a real a$$hat to the community, he could have received a bunch of help disposing and distributing the carcasses so they wouldn't go to waste. And no one would have said a word.

Not at all. People get turned in for game violations in Wallowa. Especially so many animals... not going to keep that quiet. However, I do think the ODFW could have organized locals if the ODFW was willing to have a professional hunter thin the herd... Oh wait, that would require ODFW to work!

Unless I read this wrong they took the law into their own hands after repeated offers to help them comply with the law ?
I was thinking it was allot like a cop giving you a permit to speed you turn it down and speed get a ticket and surprised when you get one ? Yet with a permit you could speed all day.

I know we all hate laws that suppress our abilities, but sounds like the feds gave this guy a way to get free food, hunt as he wanted to thin the heard and accomplish every goal he wanted. But instead when and wiped out a bunch of ELk all on his own knowing it was wrong. I have zero sympathy sorry....:rolleyes:

16997813_186544418505688_3188592914783701976_n.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads