JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LOL. There is a big difference between Burns and Wallowa. It's a pretty sleepy lil area, as I'm sure you know. :)

Not at all. People get turned in for game violations in Wallowa. Especially so many animals... not going to keep that quiet. However, I do think the ODFW could have organized locals if the ODFW was willing to have a professional hunter thin the herd... Oh wait, that would require ODFW to work!

There are orgs that will take game meat and feed deserving people with it. There was one org that help with the slaughter of buffalos (Wyoming and Montana IIRC) and distributed the meat and hides. The waste of meat was the big thing. If the rancher had asked the right people for help, he could have done this lawfully instead of letting the meat be wasted as he did. In short, there is little to no excuse for what he did illegally, he got caught and now he is going to pay the price. I have no sympathy for his plight now.

Unless I read this wrong they took the law into their own hands after repeated offers to help them comply with the law ?
I was thinking it was allot like a cop giving you a permit to speed you turn it down and speed get a ticket and surprised when you get one ? Yet with a permit you could speed all day.

I know we all hate laws that suppress our abilities, but sounds like the feds gave this guy a way to get free food, hunt as he wanted to thin the heard and accomplish every goal he wanted. But instead when and wiped out a bunch of ELk all on his own knowing it was wrong. I have zero sympathy sorry....:rolleyes:

What he did was very wrong, now doubt about it! Yes, he did take the law into his own hands, so to speak. But I say again, in the ranchers opinion none of the offers they gave him were workable. No, I don't think he was surprised when he got the "ticket". It sounds to me like he was angry and followed his impulse... not good.

If you don't have property/wildlife issues and have not ever tried working with the ODFW, you don't understand. A year or two ago there was a very successful psychiatrist that lives here in La Grande on the edge of the city. His neighbors cows kept coming thru his fences and trampling/damaging the pond that he built to attract ducks etc. The costs to repair the fence and the pond just kept coming after repeated efforts to get the neighbor to keep his cattle where they belong. So one day this well respected man who actually treats people and hold group session for anger management comes home to find the cattle damaging his property yet again. He goes inside his house, gets his rifle, and proceeds to blow away 7-9 head (I don't remember exactly). My point is for members not to automatically assume that this guy is a cantankerous old coot. He may very well be, and nobody likes or approves of what he did, but really it's best to not be throwing a bunch of speculation when we all know that news stories are incomplete at best. Remember, this is the Oregonian reporting. Out here in the wilds of the east they equal the great commie satan. And so does the ODFW.

BTW he drives a logging truck full time and cares for his ranch in his off hours. So for those speculating that he had the time to do all the processing and transport to charities, uh no. For those assuming that the community could have done the work, that is not allowed by the ODFW. I say again, ODFW should have set up a feeding program either on or away from the ranch. But ODFW claimed there were no funds for a feeding operation. So then ODFW should have done a little work and organized a couple charities to do the work of processing kills. But they didn't. They put it all on a couple that honestly has no time for that.

Does anybody here know the ODFW guy, Mike Hanson? I know of him, and IMO he is not our friend. He is a bureaucrat that is constantly screwing Wallowa County property owners.

This is the Wallowa County Chieftain (Enterprise) news report:
Arrest made in elk taking case in Wallowa

And here is a full statement/release from Pam Harshfield. Let the arguing begin anew!
Harshfields release statement regarding arrest in elk poaching case

What he did was very wrong, now doubt about it! Yes, he did take the law into his own hands, so to speak. But I say again, in the ranchers opinion none of the offers they gave him were workable. No, I don't think he was surprised when he got the "ticket". It sounds to me like he was angry and followed his impulse... not good.

If you don't have property/wildlife issues and have not ever tried working with the ODFW, you don't understand. A year or two ago there was a very successful psychiatrist that lives here in La Grande on the edge of the city. His neighbors cows kept coming thru his fences and trampling/damaging the pond that he built to attract ducks etc. The costs to repair the fence and the pond just kept coming after repeated efforts to get the neighbor to keep his cattle where they belong. So one day this well respected man who actually treats people and hold group session for anger management comes home to find the cattle damaging his property yet again. He goes inside his house, gets his rifle, and proceeds to blow away 7-9 head (I don't remember exactly). My point is for members not to automatically assume that this guy is a cantankerous old coot. He may very well be, and nobody likes or approves of what he did, but really it's best to not be throwing a bunch of speculation when we all know that news stories are incomplete at best. Remember, this is the Oregonian reporting. Out here in the wilds of the east they equal the great commie satan. And so does the ODFW.

BTW he drives a logging truck full time and cares for his ranch in his off hours. So for those speculating that he had the time to do all the processing and transport to charities, uh no. For those assuming that the community could have done the work, that is not allowed by the ODFW. I say again, ODFW should have set up a feeding program either on or away from the ranch. But ODFW claimed there were no funds for a feeding operation. So then ODFW should have done a little work and organized a couple charities to do the work of processing kills. But they didn't. They put it all on a couple that honestly has no time for that.

Does anybody here know the ODFW guy, Mike Hanson? I know of him, and IMO he is not our friend. He is a bureaucrat that is constantly screwing Wallowa County property owners.

This is the Wallowa County Chieftain (Enterprise) news report:
Arrest made in elk taking case in Wallowa

And here is a full statement/release from Pam Harshfield. Let the arguing begin anew!
Harshfields release statement regarding arrest in elk poaching case

Thanks for clarifying this. :)

There are orgs that will take game meat and feed deserving people with it. There was one org that help with the slaughter of buffalos (Wyoming and Montana IIRC) and distributed the meat and hides. The waste of meat was the big thing. If the rancher had asked the right people for help, he could have done this lawfully instead of letting the meat be wasted as he did.

They asked the ODFW for permission and were told no, they had to do it themselves. He drives a logging truck full time to support his spouse and the ranch. And he works his cattle and 450acres in his off time. The ODFW was being obstinate and bureaucratic authoritarian.

ODFW . . . The same organization that, a few years ago, when a cougar was reported in south La Grande, told the people the answer to the problem was to not let their kids go outside!!!!!

Sheldon

They asked the ODFW for permission and were told no, they had to do it themselves. He drives a logging truck full time to support his spouse and the ranch. And he works his cattle and 450acres in his off time. The ODFW was being obstinate and bureaucratic authoritarian.

What I recall from the article was the ODFW was going to give him permits if he didn't waste the meat:

"The state also offered Harshfield a kill permit, which would've authorize him to eliminate elk on the property. That permit comes with the stipulation that permit holders skin, dress and transport the animal's carcass to a meat processor. The processor then donates the meat to local charities.

But Harshfield declined that kill permit, Dennehy said."

What I recall from the article was the ODFW was going to give him permits if he didn't waste the meat:

"The state also offered Harshfield a kill permit, which would've authorize him to eliminate elk on the property. That permit comes with the stipulation that permit holders skin, dress and transport the animal's carcass to a meat processor. The processor then donates the meat to local charities.

But Harshfield declined that kill permit, Dennehy said."

Oh, the article the ODFW released to the Oregonian?

Denied because he would have had to do all the work and he already works full time plus the hours required to work his ranch. Read the Harshfeld statement. You can disagree with it but if it was as Pam Harshfield says, ODFW really left them to fend for themselves. This is yet another example of BLM Harney Co. type treatment.

Denied because he would have had to do all the work
He could have recruited local help - heck I'll bet more than a few would have gone to help for a cut of the meat. A little advertising would have probably brought out a lot of people. There are ways around the 'logistics' of almost anything.

Denied because he would have had to do all the work and he already works full time plus the hours required to work his ranch. Read the statement. You can disagree with it but if it was as Pam Harshfield says, ODFW really left them to fend for themselves.

As I stated in the post you replied to, there are orgs out there that would have helped.

I am familiar with farmers and ranchers working full time day jobs to keep their farm/ranch afloat. My parents did it for years. I am doing it (somewhat). My family farmed for three generations for 80 years. I know how hard it is. We never slaughtered deer or elk and left them lay rotting, even though they got into our fields.

As I stated in the post you replied to, there are orgs out there that would have helped.

I am familiar with farmers and ranchers working full time day jobs to keep their farm/ranch afloat. My parents did it for years. I am doing it (somewhat). My family farmed for three generations for 80 years. I know how hard it is. We never slaughtered deer or elk and left them lay rotting, even though they got into our fields.

Good for you!! I don't approve of what he did either. I'm not defending him, I'm griping about the sub-par response they got from ODFW.

I don't know how many times I have to write this before you get it... the ODFW would NOT allow any orgs to get involved. They have the authority under the law and had control of that and they said NO!!!!!!

Have you even bothered to read the info in the links I posted?

Good for you!! I don't approve of what he did either. I'm not defending him, I'm griping about the sub-par response they got from ODFW.

I don't know how many times I have to write this before you get it... the ODFW would NOT allow any orgs to get involved. They have the authority under the law and had control of that and they said NO!!!!!!

Have you even bothered to read the info in the links I posted?

No where in either article did I read that the ODFW say they could not get help. The ODFW just said that the ODFW would not do the the slaughtering themselves as they don't have the funding/manpower.

Look, I can sympathize with landowners regarding wildlife depredation on their land - I've seen it happen on my land on a small scale. But to just shoot the elk and leave them lay there? Inexcusable and saying they fed coyotes/eagles is lame. They broke the law when there were other better remedies and all we hear are excuses. They got caught, and people would be screaming bloody murder if the authorities did not prosecute them.

No where in either article did I read that the ODFW say they could not get help. The ODFW just said that the ODFW would not do the the slaughtering themselves as they don't have the funding/manpower.

From the statement of Pam Harshfield:
"Again I called ODFW and was told the kill permits would be available, but Larry (Mike) and I had to do all of the work. Is it realistic to assume that we have the time to kill, dress and deliver elk to the local butcher shop with the kill permits they offered?"

Look, I can sympathize with landowners regarding wildlife depredation on their land - I've seen it happen on my land on a small scale. But to just shoot the elk and leave them lay there? Inexcusable and saying they fed coyotes/eagles is lame. They got caught, and people would be screaming bloody murder if the authorities did not prosecute them.

I agree.

when there were other better remedies and all we hear are excuses.

I disagree.

From the statement of Pam Harshfield:
"Again I called ODFW and was told the kill permits would be available, but Larry (Mike) and I had to do all of the work. Is it realistic to assume that we have the time to kill, dress and deliver elk to the local butcher shop with the kill permits they offered?"

He said, she said. :rolleyes:

I take leave to doubt the word of someone who would do something like this and then makes excuses afterwards. It follows a pattern I have seen time and time again when someone gets caught doing something wrong, and/or something bad happens after they do something that caused the bad consequence. It is always someone else's fault and they never take responsibility for the results.

I break the law almost daily, usually speeding past the speed limit - but when I get caught and get a ticket, I don't blame the cop who gives me the ticket. I take the ticket and pay it. If I get made at anybody, it is myself. It is called responsibility.

He said, she said. :rolleyes:

That's what I meant when I posted "let the arguing begin" regarding her statement. I don't have a problem with doubters. Only with posters that throw names, accusations, and make assumptions when they don't really know. If you want to trust ODFW's word over Harshfields, nothing is going to change that. I'm a Law Enforcement supporter, but in this case I tend to take the Harshfield's word vs the lyin, cheatin, govt ODFW.

I can understand people not believing their version of it, but I can also understand being driven to extreme measures by the ODFW... having been around this area long enough to understand that there are good game enforcement officers, bad ones, and biologists that are exercising their power without consideration for people, arbitrarily, haphazardly, lazy desk riders that are only interested in their ODFW rules and doing as little actual work as possible.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top