JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well thanks guys for the tips, filled my tag today with a nice hefty forked horn. 75 yards and DRT.
It was during the storm on Saturday and he was bedded down in the ferns on the side of a forested cliff over looking a creek. Hard a s hell to get to after the shot... But he was a nice buck and it has been a great weekend
Nice.
Storms are the best times to hit them.

Well thanks guys for the tips, filled my tag today with a nice hefty forked horn. 75 yards and DRT.
It was during the storm on Saturday and he was bedded down in the ferns on the side of a forested cliff over looking a creek. Hard a s hell to get to after the shot... But he was a nice buck and it has been a great weekend

12:40 AM......kinda early to be filling tags eh? :D

You must have been skinning hide and cutting meat all evening.....putting off your post until last...

Congrats, early-season blacktails are tough to find.

:s0122:

deer1.JPG

Wish I had a deer photo to show...i came back home again empty handed. I still haven't seen any deer, i'm beginning to think the area i'm in is a bust.
But I did have some nice hikes in the woods and came across this beautiful lake.

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1444602337.jpg

Tons of deer West and East of Eugene; keep at it.

I'm just really disappointed because i did my scouting...finding the trails, foot prints, droppings, tree rubs but haven't seen a single deer. I believe it's a decent spot, with plenty of Elk activity as well. I've seen the elk...LOL. These gosh darn deer are killing me, they won't move around and i can't find where they're bedding. I'll keep at it since i still have some time left before Nov 6th.
Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm just really disappointed because i did my scouting...finding the trails, foot prints, droppings, tree rubs but haven't seen a single deer. I believe it's a decent spot, with plenty of Elk activity as well. I've seen the elk...LOL. These gosh darn deer are killing me, they won't move around and i can't find where they're bedding. I'll keep at it since i still have some time left before Nov 6th.

I have put @ 14 bucks and some does in the freezer; not an expert...but.

Change your perspective into a positive note; they are making you a better blacktail hunter...that's how nature works. No rewards in nature for being a good person, handsome (like winchester 270 :D), or a hard worker-alone.....no affirmative action in the woods.

Those BT bucks have nerves of steel; they will let you walk by. They (most big game) needs to receive 2 senses before they can act upon a danger.

Find them (glass, patients, & quiet), maneuver (wind, & line of sight), & make the shot (only the shooting has to be done during legal hours).

First and last hours of light are prime time.

From my experience the deer like to move at night, when they can. But when its heavy rain all night it is tooo dark for them to come out and they have to wait till morning, or they come out in the evening before they feel a storm coming. So this is all from what I hear from others advice, and seems to make sense.
I planned on focusing my attention to hunting around the storms.

I was helping a neighbor with some fence work along a rural paved road...taking a break & watching a BT deer walking down the center stripe.

She heard a car coming and dashed off the road until the car passed, she got right back in the road, and started walking the yellow line until she seen me.

They seem to move out of our way and continue on with their schedule.

Addendum: my 13th buck took two years to get....a "crucible".

I was helping a neighbor with some fence work along a rural paved road...taking a break & watching a BT deer walking down the center stripe.

She heard a car coming and dashed off the road until the car passed, she got right back in the road, and started walking the yellow line until she seen me.

They seem to move out of our way and continue on with their schedule.

hahaha.
I think i've seen more BT on roads than i have in any of the woods i've been in. :D

It sounds like you're in the right spot; just don't pressure the spot too much this early in the season. Deer hide really well until the last week and a half of the season. After opening weekend, I consider the next 3 weeks as "scouting" and the last week and a half or so as the real hunting season. 3 of our last 4 deer came in the last week of the season, and the other was early season during a rainstorm. From your description, I'd only go there maybe 1 day per week this time of year and only hunt it until about noon so that you don't pressure the deer badly. You can spend any other hunting time you have checking out other spots (I did exactly that today, and I found 2 amazing new areas to add to the 2 "go-to" spots in my arsenal). Somewhere around October 25th, pick the best spot or 2 you've seen so far and spend all the time you can there.

It sounds like you're in the right spot; just don't pressure the spot too much this early in the season. Deer hide really well until the last week and a half of the season. After opening weekend, I consider the next 3 weeks as "scouting" and the last week and a half or so as the real hunting season. 3 of our last 4 deer came in the last week of the season, and the other was early season during a rainstorm. From your description, I'd only go there maybe 1 day per week this time of year and only hunt it until about noon so that you don't pressure the deer badly. You can spend any other hunting time you have checking out other spots (I did exactly that today, and I found 2 amazing new areas to add to the 2 "go-to" spots in my arsenal). Somewhere around October 25th, pick the best spot or 2 you've seen so far and spend all the time you can there.

Good call.
I'll lay off of the area this week since i can't hunt deer this weekend in that unit anyway and head back in there the last week in Oct or first week in Nov. Which i had a load of money to spend on trail cameras so i can still monitor it when i'm not there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top