JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I decided to introduce my 5yo boy to this game today at dinner. "You have a bunch of mustard on your shirt." He looks. "Haha, monkeys only look!"

Did you ever play this as a kid? Any ideas where this game or phrase comes from? Google was no help!

Hey, you spilled your pop! Monkeys only look!

Pull_my_finger.jpg

Aloha, Mark

I decided to introduce my 5yo boy to this game today at dinner. "You have a bunch of mustard on your shirt." He looks. "Haha, monkeys only look!"

Did you ever play this as a kid? Any ideas where this game or phrase comes from? Google was no help!

Hey, you spilled your pop! Monkeys only look!
I think that it came from... "Monkey see Monkey do.."

A Master Monkey Maker never had to say a word to capture the monkey...only to proclaim the monkey's existence.

Often, the "monkey" accuser would stare into the sky or look in a direction until the soon to be "monkey" would begin gazing in the direction of the accuser's false interest. The accuser would then stop the stare, and look at the "monkey." ... "Haha, monkeys always look!"

But what do I know? ...I am still looking for the pocket that Stomper told me that I dropped.

Edit to Add: These games may have regional nuances. The game, that you are describing in the OP, reminds me of a variation of "Made You Look."

Last Edited:
We played "You Flinched" SOCK! I always flinched. I got pantsed once too at a scout jamboree. A couple of the guys stood up for me though and pantsed the kid that did it and threw him down the hill. :D

We played "You Flinched" SOCK! I always flinched. I got pantsed once too at a scout jamboree. A couple of the guys stood up for me though and pantsed the kid that did it and threw him down the hill. :D
We threw a guy's shoe in the lake. Finally shut him up. He complained to the Scoutmaster, who knew all about the guy and told him he could swim out and retrieve his shoe any old time he wanted.

We threw a guy's shoe in the lake. Finally shut him up. He complained to the Scoutmaster, who knew all about the guy and told him he could swim out and retrieve his shoe any old time he wanted.
Hey, overall the Boy Scouts was one of the best things in my entire life. Unfortunately I just never got into doing the work to advance. But I did learn a lot about survival and the natural world around me that I still use today. I don't remember how I drifted away from the scouts. It was run by The Mormon Church and I decided all the church stuff wasn't where I wanted to be on sunny summer Sundays.

Hey, overall the Boy Scouts was one of the best things in my entire life. Unfortunately I just never got into doing the work to advance. But I did learn a lot about survival and the natural world around me that I still use today. I don't remember how I drifted away from the scouts. It was run by The Mormon Church and I decided all the church stuff wasn't where I wanted to be on sunny summer Sundays.
I was the same way. More recently, for several years I volunteered as an instructor/RSO and have watched the Mormons leave, some scandals get uncovered and last and arguably worst, an SJW merit badge become a requirement for Eagle Scout. That has probably done it for me. I can't watch much more of this self destruction.

I was the same way. More recently, for several years I volunteered as an instructor/RSO and have watched the Mormons leave, some scandals get uncovered and last and arguably worst, an SJW merit badge become a requirement for Eagle Scout. That has probably done it for me. I can't watch much more of this self destruction.
Well don't they have to let girls in now? God! Can't they let boys be boys for awhile? Can't imagine girls in the tents at summer camp, or winter camp in the snow. Boys learn a lot about life and becoming men from the adults at the camp outs, Jamboree's, big summer camps with troops from all over the state. Back in the day anyway.

Well don't they have to let girls in now? God! Can't they let boys be boys for awhile? Can't imagine girls in the tents at summer camp, or winter camp in the snow. Boys learn a lot about life and becoming men from the adults at the camp outs, Jamboree's, big summer camps with troops from all over the state. Back in the day anyway.
They do. I haven't seen many, but then I only volunteer at shooting events. And fortunately so far the boys are still way better behaved, happier and more self aware than their peers. So they are still doing some good.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top