JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
[Placed in this section because of the typical carry nature of these guns]

Okay, kinda rant time. I'm getting tired of "gun culture" folks who rant about the grip safety on the S&W EZ series. Two main things I keep hearing is that:
1) You have to have strong grip strength to defeat the grip safety so it is not a good choice for older people or those with low grip strength
2) Shooters have a hard time with the grip position and the gun won't fire

We (mostly my shooter / trainer wife with me in tow) were early adopters of these guns and frequently used by students at the range. After a good testing period with both the 9mm and 380, with manual safeties and without, we frequently find ourselves recommending these to shooters, typically after they try them at the range. Actually, little recommendation is needed after they shoot them since most like them so much, we are more of a confirmation.

So, fast forward to the alleged issues. 1) Grip strength. Want to guess how much force is needed to defeat the safety? Just over one pound. You don't need the crush grip of a three toed sloth to depress the safety. If you can't defeat a one pound safety, how are ever going to pull a fiveish pound trigger? Sorry, but this argument is just stupid, and I hate to use that word but words matter. (Side note, these are not striker fired guns, they are internal hammer and have much better triggers than many guns.)

2) Grip location. Yes, this can initially be a problem with inexperienced shooters...like grip problems can be with any gun and new shooters. Fix their grip, fix the problem. If a shooter is not depressing the safety then a) their hand is not high on the grip and b) there is a gap between their hand and the grip. These both need to be fixed no matter what gun you have. If a shooter cannot do this with a gun this is going to be a big problem for them. Now, could it be that the EZ series grip design is not compatible with a particular shooter? Absolutely. Not saying this is a gun that everybody can shoot or should buy. Some other type / brand of gun may be a better fit for some shooters, but please "instructors," stop blaming the gun because you spend more time hacking on a keyboard than with your students. Sorry, kinda harsh, but this has been stewing for a while (and NOT directed at ANYONE in this community btw!)

Case in point. Recently helped the bride with a class while she was working with the new shooters. There were nine shooters on my side. How many were shooting an EZ? Every. Single. One. Malfunctions during the session? Zero of any type.

There, I feel better now.

I gave away my 9mm EZ - Didn't care for it once I shot it.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, but for reasons I'm not even sure of, I didn't like it.

It has a good and loving home now...

I've not heard anyone criticize the EZ series.
Me either, I owned a couple of them (got them from my dad's estate) and they shot quite well. They weren't my cup of tea so they found new homes but for folks with hand strength issues they are a great option.

I actually really like the S&W EZ lineup. I find that they point very naturally for me and having an easy to operate slide is just a bonus.

My only issue with these guns is that they're single-stack. Given their size, I think they'd be much more useful with a thicker grip and a double stack magazine for the higher capacity.

Not everyone is a fan of Randy Wakeman, but on balance I think Chuckhawks is a reliable website. After reading their review of S&W long ago I've just stayed away (pretty much the same with Remington). There are too many choices in the marketplace, I don't need to take chances with anything shady. FYI, here is what Chuckhawks had to say:

I actually really like the S&W EZ lineup. I find that they point very naturally for me and having an easy to operate slide is just a bonus.

My only issue with these guns is that they're single-stack. Given their size, I think they'd be much more useful with a thicker grip and a double stack magazine for the higher capacity.
If grip strength is the primary motivating factor for the design, single stack and thin is better.

Think about how easily you can hold onto a 1" pipe vs a 2x4. Getting a good purchase with fingers wrapped around makes a world of difference.

If they went double stack, that'd seem to go against their primary motivation. Maybe a 1.5 stack would still work.

Not everyone is a fan of Randy Wakeman, but on balance I think Chuckhawks is a reliable website. After reading their review of S&W long ago I've just stayed away (pretty much the same with Remington). There are too many choices in the marketplace, I don't need to take chances with anything shady. FYI, here is what Chuckhawks had to say:
The Dark Side of Smith & Wesson
Thanks for the perspective.

After reading the article (which appears to 15 years old), so about 10 years before this gun even came out, and is filled with his personal stories of his dislike for the brand, all I would say to him is please show me on this doll where Smith & Wesson hurt you.

I get it, some folks don't like a particular brand based on their experience and it may be completely justified. I think someone out there could write a piece like this about any brand. I don't knock anyone for having their opinion. Correia hates Kimber, and I'm sure he has his reasons. The gun that ran 3,500 rounds noted in the OP? S&W M&P. YMMV. My other reliable carry gun that hasn't had a malfunction in high volume classes? Kimber (and even a dreaded 1911!!!) Thanks again!

My only concern is the EZ's long term durability. It seems to me that the "EZ" racking slide would allow the gun to beat itself up more readily. I could be way off base though.

It would be cool if S&W could do a "Plus" version of the EZ. 8rd mags is weak sauce for sure. Lol

Oldest kid got out of the USMC and worked for a few months in a gun store back east. Told me they were probably the most popular pistol they sold to new shooters. Folks loved them. My wife and her daughter recently took the "Ladies Introduction to Shooting" class at SafeFire (good program, btw) and the cool thing is they shot a bunch of different guns. My wife picked a G43x and her daughter picked a S&W EZ9mm. Both solid choices, as far as I can tell. Must admit I'm a little biased towards the Glock, but that's just me.....:cool:

Have a 9mm EZ. Owned guns since I bought my first firearm at the age of 15 at Mel's Street Shop in Port Angeles (not there anymore if you are looking for it). I own all different actions. Like each one for what it's use is. My Sister was advised by law enforcement to buy a firearm because of an abusive husband that was staking her after she moved out of state. When she asked me what to buy, I told her first and for most with your hand strength issues go to a Firearms dealer that has a good reputation where you live. Have them show you different actions and if you end up wanting a semi auto. Make sure you can rack it. It has to point well for you and feel good in your hand. She ended up with a S&W EZ and loves it. She could not rack any semi auto except a 22. Sure, glad she found a good firearms dealer and they took the time with her to get it right. She loves the EZ. I went and bought one for the same reason, my wife, daughters and granddaughters all have small hands and hand strength is not enough to rack a semi auto in 9 thru 44 mag. They can rack the EZ where some can't rack my full-size semi autos. I have shoot it, I have very big hands and like a double stack for the fit. But the EZ shoots great and everyone that has shot it loves it. Does not print under my jacket like a double stack. Might be good going into downtown Portland or Seattle, but I don't go to either **** hole anymore since they crippled their police forces.

The only thing I don't like about the EZ series is the name. Unnecessarily truncating or misspelling words to imply a benefit is just tacky. Makes me think of those sketchy used car lots (i.e. "Billy Bob's EZ Auto Sales"). But that's just my OCD speaking.

Beyond that I think they're fine pistols with surprisingly good triggers. Larger frame, double-stack, and threaded barrel options would be nice. Overall good gun for anyone, but especially for people who have difficulty racking a normal-weight slide.

My wife's first gun was an S&W 9mm EZ. She liked it because it was easy to rack the slide and it fit her hand well, The grip safety was never an issue for her.

Have a 9mm EZ. Owned guns since I bought my first firearm at the age of 15 at Mel's Street Shop in Port Angeles (not there anymore if you are looking for it). I own all different actions. Like each one for what it's use is. My Sister was advised by law enforcement to buy a firearm because of an abusive husband that was staking her after she moved out of state. When she asked me what to buy, I told her first and for most with your hand strength issues go to a Firearms dealer that has a good reputation where you live. Have them show you different actions and if you end up wanting a semi auto. Make sure you can rack it. It has to point well for you and feel good in your hand. She ended up with a S&W EZ and loves it. She could not rack any semi auto except a 22. Sure, glad she found a good firearms dealer and they took the time with her to get it right. She loves the EZ. I went and bought one for the same reason, my wife, daughters and granddaughters all have small hands and hand strength is not enough to rack a semi auto in 9 thru 44 mag. They can rack the EZ where some can't rack my full-size semi autos. I have shoot it, I have very big hands and like a double stack for the fit. But the EZ shoots great and everyone that has shot it loves it. Does not print under my jacket like a double stack. Might be good going into downtown Portland or Seattle, but I don't go to either **** hole anymore since they crippled their police forces.
Be sure you take some credit too. I'm glad you had the firearms knowledge and experience to steer your sister in the right direction in the first place. Kudos to you for offering up sound advice. Nice to hear that your sister was able to make an informed choice and ended up with a pistol that fits her particular needs and situation.

I've not heard anyone criticize the EZ series.
I haven't either. Who is criticizing them?

My guess is, prolly some dork that thinks if he buys the most expensive gun and the most expensive accessories that automatically makes him John Wick. I've known a few of those.

I did shoot one of these M&P pistols a couple of years ago and thought it was surprisingly good.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads