JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Haven't ran across this question. But sounds like it would be a good debate.
Barrel length. Short or long barrel. This is for eather rifle or pistol using factory ammo.
Why did you chose one or the other??
Or does it matter to you?
Concelment for a hand gun.
410 derringer barrel is 1/4 longer then the 410 shell. I'll shoot anything once, this one I would have to think about.

It is not that simple of a question to answer. Everything is give and take. You need to decide what the important things are to you and go from there. You need to pick the right tool for the job. For example, is a crescent wrench or a full combo wrench set better.................

Example, a target rifle with a long heavy barrel and a heavy stock is great for long distance shooting and very accurate, but I would hate to carry it in the woods for hunting.

Yup, each of them has their own purpose.

I though we were talking about something else. :s0112:

This was more for the younger shooters. You guys more in likly had it figure out awhile back.
My sons when they where younger whated to take my target rifle hunting so I let them. They found out that packing a 24 pound 30-06 around in the woods was not fun.

Pistols are seriously compromised compared to rifles, so any further loss of velocity by shortening the barrel has an outsized impact on muzzle energy.

Shotguns reach max velocity at 10-14" of barrel length, so 18" is best if the pattern isn't too wide for your application.

A great source for barrel-length effects on muzzle velocity is:
BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home

I fitted some of the .45ACP data from the BBTI website to a quadratic, and the plot shows that there's still a payoff to lengthening the barrel even out past 6".

So take from it what you will.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads