JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello!

First post to a forum ever, so go easy on me please🙂

I have a (very) small range on my property. The impact area is 1/4 minus crushed gravel.

Been using it for around 5 years now and I'm thinking it is time to "get the lead out".

I have some heavy quarter inch metal mesh and the current plan is to make a sifter, then simply shovel the backstop material onto the sifter & pick out the bullets.

Simple enough, but I wanted to ask the group if there is a better, more efficient way of getting this done.

Best regards.

WMB

Hello!

First post to a forum ever, so go easy on me please🙂

I have a (very) small range on my property. The impact area is 1/4 minus crushed gravel.

Been using it for around 5 years now and I'm thinking it is time to "get the lead out".

I have some heavy quarter inch metal mesh and the current plan is to make a sifter, then simply shovel the backstop material onto the sifter & pick out the bullets.

Simple enough, but I wanted to ask the group if there is a better, more efficient way of getting this done.

Best regards.

WMB
Be sure to wet things down to keep the lead dust out of the air.
Next time around, use coarse sand instead of the gravel.
Best,
Gary

Last Edited:
Wear a respirator and rubber gloves. When the bullets impact some of the lead vaporizes then resettles on the ground. Your impact area is coated with micron sized lead dust.

Any agitation will stir it up.

Like panning for gold.

Interesting.
BUT, But, but......

Aloha, Mark

PS....in the past I was able to collect lead from the berm.

Now a days......the range actually pays a professional outfit to remove the lead.

Gooid advice above, one and all. Too bad you could not make a rotary sifter out of a 30 gallon drum or some such. The movement would help to sieve the gravel out. Am thinking of the rotary media separators for separating brass from the cleaning media.
Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 10.17.48 PM.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top