JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Before i refinish my AK build, i need to fill a few small scratches and gouge marks from assembly. I have used Bondo on wood with no problems before, but would it hold as good on something that may get hot ? is there a better product i should use ?

Id also like to get rid of that "G" as well

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

Look for a product called All-Metal,it is a powdered metal in a resin that is workable but dries very hard.
One other that may work is Marine Tex avail from boat shops.
RK

JB Weld two part metal filled epoxy
$5.00 at any auto parts store
Clean the spot well with solvent
Sand / roughen the area, remove all paint
Apply enough to fill the hole
Clean off the excess with water
let cure for 24 hrs
Sand smooth

How about just blending the spots with drill-mount course abrasive prep pads, then wire brushing with a wire wheel, then media blasting it to bring it back to the correct looking finish?

Don't knock JB weld!!
J-B Weld Company - J-B WELD Product Information
They say it is resistant to 500F and I have ran it well past that.
I have also repaired flaws in Aluminum that was then power coated with great results.

I have never used the the hightemp filler product. It sounds great for truly high temp applications where bonding isn't important however the 450F for 1 hr cure cycle seems a bit unrealistic for the home user without an industrial oven.

"In order for Hi-Temp Lab-metal to completly harden after a 24 hour air dry time, it must be exposed to a minimum temperature of 425ºF for a period of at least one hour"

They say that it is non conductive but also good for powder coating?? powder coating is an electrostatic process that needs conductivity. JB Weld is also non conductive and doesn't powdercoat perfectly much past 1/4" in thickness. Does the HighTemp product have similar issues?
Just curious

Bondo?
JB Weld?

I really am glad others keep doing those type of jobs.
That's job security for Pauly. :s0155:

6-1.jpg

I come across that stuff far too often when blasting carriers.

What if a future owner decides he wants to blue the weapon?

Just build up at low amperage then dress it down if stuff's too deep to fix by surface prepping.
If a gunsmith can't do that..... :s0131:

I can see private citizens doing that, but when people who pass their work off as professional do beware.
They'll get away with it for a while, but when a client goes to get something done & that stuff gets discovered, it don't look too good.

The above is a monstrosity I came across on a $2,400.00 gun & had to inform my client because I was shipping it out in a high polished finish.
Needless to say, the clien't was no longer impressed with who he thought was a great gunsmith.
I got one heck of a great review for fixing it, but spent hours on damage control for the original craftsman so the client wouldn't go on a crusade against the other guy.

when in doubt Tig to the rescue - if those are impact marks / stampings a light pass with a Tig welder - no fill material - will most often resurface it and as you aren't adding any metal that isn't a different alloy it will still blue or parkerize without discolorations showing in the finish. Kinda like using an eraser :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top