JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The thing about articles like this, is that it discourages folks from starting/joining militias, which, and I may be wrong here, are our right to start/join/maintain.

Am I wrong? If so, wouldn't the fact that organized citizen militias were illegal be part of a larger problem, namely being a contradiction of the 2a?

The thing about articles like this, is that it discourages folks from starting/joining militias, which, and I may be wrong here, are our right to start/join/maintain.

Am I wrong? If so, wouldn't the fact that organized citizen militias were illegal be part of a larger problem, namely being a contradiction of the 2a?

I had thought Organized Militias were a no go in Oregon. Since that Rajneesh cult thing back in the early 1980's.

Honestly not sure, and would like to know if any folks are knowledgeable in regards to such legalities in Oregon specifically.

As it is on Zero Hedge, didn't click. While I'd have to believe forming a militia is protected by the 2A, I wouldn't have anything to do with the groups that bore that word in the 1980s—90s. Not a chance.

He is just saying be smart about it.

If one is forming, expanding or joining a militia, I highly recommend doing so in a manner that does not involve electronic communications of any sort...

One would be wise to seek out like minded individuals locally, and begin the process of doing and planning like the founding fathers did, pubs were a great location...

Ive always thought private militias were technically illegal, and many states like Oregon have laws against paramilitary type training. The 2A refers to organized state militias, and the people. The people being the "unorganized militia" as per USC law, every able bodied man.

know if any folks are knowledgeable in regards to such legalities in Oregon specifically.

If you're hypothetically preparing/training to fight the government in what would be an armed conflict what difference does it make if Oregon has a law against "organized militias" or not? That's about as asinine as a "Gun Free Zone".

If you're hypothetically preparing/training to fight the government in what would be an armed conflict what difference does it make if Oregon has a law against "organized militias" or not? That's about as asinine as a "Gun Free Zone".

Well, if it is against the law, and there is rule of law. As in currently.

I would rather not lose my house, our retirement, career, RKBA (limited as it is), destroy my family, trying to defend myself in court.

YMMV.

I didn't read the article, but here's my thought anyway, forming a group to overthrow the government is wrong. Being prepared to defend oneself against government jack-booted thugs is smart.

Well, if it is against the law, and there is rule of law. As in currently.

I would rather not lose my house, our retirement, career, RKBA (limited as it is), destroy my family, trying to defend myself in court.

YMMV.

This is the kinda of thinking that gave us the current problem with gun control now. SEE IMAGE BELOW.

The whole notion of "being on the right side of the law/history" or "law abiding [INSERT TITLE HERE]" is simply going along to get along regardless of the boot pressure applied to your throat/liberties. But if your excuse is not to do something because BIG GUV says so, let me know what FFL we can meet at so I can take your guns now.

Illustrated-Guide-To-Gun-Control.png

This is the kinda of thinking that gave us the current problem with gun control now. SEE IMAGE BELOW.

The whole notion of "being on the right side of the law/history" or "law abiding [INSERT TITLE HERE]" is simply going along to get along regardless of the boot pressure applied to your throat/liberties. But if your excuse is not to do something because BIG GUV says so, let me know what FFL we can meet at so I can take your guns now.

View attachment 646653

No, it's not.

My discussion is in regards to organized militia in Oregon, and the legalities of such. Nothing more.

Which organized militia are YOU a member of?

I'm truly interested, actually.

I had thought Organized Militias were a no go in Oregon. Since that Rajneesh cult thing back in the early 1980's.

Honestly not sure, and would like to know if any folks are knowledgeable in regards to such legalities in Oregon specifically.

Here is the law you are probably thinking of: ORS 166.660 - Unlawful paramilitary activity - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes

While it doesn't ban militias the law could be used to prosecute members of a militia. I would be interested to know if anybody has been prosecuted and found guilty of violating this law.

Here is the law you are probably thinking of: ORS 166.660 - Unlawful paramilitary activity - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes

While it doesn't ban militias the law could be used to prosecute members of a militia. I would be interested to know if anybody has been prosecuted and found guilty of violating this law.

Appreciated!

I'll just continue to call targets, "targets" & "zombies" when we train. "Zombies" don't exist, and "targets" are for target shooting. Wether training static or dynamic.

No, it's not.

My discussion is in regards to organized militia in Oregon, and the legalities of such. Nothing more.

Please explain how following gun laws despite their infringements is any different than following a law making organized militia in Oregon illegal not the same as? You literally stated "if it is against the law" you wouldn't be willing to risk the aforementioned. Sounds like going along to me.

My point is your willingness to follow a rule because "if it is against the law, and there is rule of law" is the similar reason we have such silly gun laws now. Despite their stupidity you are unwilling to risk anything because it's the law.

Which organized militia are YOU a member of?

I'm truly interested, actually.

This is a logical fallacy. Even still, why would I share that information with you? Clearly you are good "Law abiding citizen", just talking to me you may have risked your house, retirement, family, et al.

Please explain how following gun laws despite their infringements is any different than following a law making organized militia in Oregon illegal not the same as? You literally stated "if it is against the law" you wouldn't be willing to risk the aforementioned. Sounds like going along to me.

My point is your willingness to follow a rule because "if it is against the law, and there is rule of law" is the similar reason we have such silly gun laws now. Despite their stupidity you are unwilling to risk anything because it's the law.

This is a logical fallacy. Even still, why would I share that information with you? Clearly you are good "Law abiding citizen", just talking to me you may have risked your house, retirement, family, et al.

Hmm...

As @arakboss pointed out above, they are perfectly legal, provided there intent is so. That's all I wanted to know.

If you portend to run around planning ill intent, then yah, now one wants to know, and you shouldn't share.

From your responses, seems you just want to argue, and IMO are not a part of any organized Militia.

Again, if you are, or heck even know people who are, I'm truly interested in such. Likely too far away from us to routinely train, but may have information regarding checking out similar groups in Southern Oregon.

Now, if you would like to continue with armchair quarterbacking and keyboard warrior ranting, just because you CAN. There is no longer a discussion.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top