JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Less concerned about peoples' behavior, and more interested in actual "conditions." As in: current weather conditions...

There are always going to be morons up there, and ALL OF US, myself included, are probably "idiots" in someone else's rant about the social climate of the gravel pit.

As of today, is there snow at/up to the pit? That's all I care about.

No snow but lots of ice, almost got taken out by a suburban doing a 360 on the way back. Had to change the britches when we got home. Potholes only gettin bigger and more of them.

Other than the two nice gents i met shootin muzzleloader the place was over run with IDIOTS! The three tough guys at the end sportin thier pistols in AIRSOFT leg holsters and shooting your truckload of bottles. You guys were bad ***! And then the JACK*** who ductaped the tanarite to the computer monitor and when i confront you about your trash you tell me that everyone else up there leaves trash so you might as well leave yours. When did shooting become get an AR, put in a 30 rd mag and pull the trigger as fast as you can and watch dirt fly? Sweep everyone with your muzzle, start shooting when others are setting out targets,NO big deal. I am sure this place will be shut down soon.

Hey, I was up there, and I was one of the guys who shot a 30 round magazine at the end of my day, it's my ritual to unload a magazine at the end of my shooting session. I didn't know we had to shoot according to your standards and not shoot to have fun. Sweeping with muzzle I agree should not happen as well as all the people who leave their junk. But hey, were all different shooters and we all have different opinions, I could care less about how others shoot as long as they are safe, and clean up their own mess.

There is no shooting allowed for the first 7 miles along forest road 45; it has been posted for a while(how many years now?). I imagine the signs are just shot up again. The quarry is the most obvious and sanctioned place to shoot. That doesn't stop people from shooting up and down the road since the road is also the most obvious clear and convenient place to shoot.

the same old signs are still there except the quarries which I asume is turned to shrapnel. I couldnt believe "they" would, I just had heard rumors on several occasions that "they" were threatening to shut it down due to people leaving the things they do up there. the first spur road is trashed. which is actually the start of one of my favorite hikes.

I was up there yesterday. Right as you cross the green bridge there is the usual sign that states no shooting first 7 miles. There was another sign that threw me off. It was a little to the left of the other sign and it stated "No shooting in this area." I wasn't sure if it meant just that first area before the quarry or not. So I drove up to see if there were signs at the shooting spots that also stated no shooting. I didn't see any at the quarry or the little spot just past the quarry. Forgive me for being a law abiding citizen but it did not occur to me that ne'er do wells might have removed or shot up the signs. So I cannot confirm that the spot is open or not. As for conditions, there was no snow and the road was easily passable with my little scion x-a. Maybe there is an office to call that may give a definitive answer?

I called the office. There are a number of pits that have been closed as of 1/1/2014. She couldnt figure out which ones we are talkkng about and said to come into tne office and loom at the display. They are open 9 to 430, m-f, closed for lunch 1130 to 1230. So its nye imposible to get in there for workkng folk. So they arent much help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5423094.pdf

idk if this applies to the quarry but looks like its in a no shooting area now? I just went a little more then a month ago to shoot and didnt get into any trouble. although the other day when I went just to hike around I didnt hear any shots at all.. which is odd.

Doesn't. Quarry is right on south side of line on the south (bottom) end of your map.

As I mentioned in a thread about Browns Camp quarry - people should make it a routine to bring extra garbage bags when they go to these places, call a cease-fire to clean up and pass out bags. Those that tell you to F.O. and they won't help clean, snap a picture of them so to post it here and create a wall-of-shame.... (or thread of shame)

I called the office. There are a number of pits that have been closed as of 1/1/2014. She couldnt figure out which ones we are talkkng about and said to come into tne office and loom at the display. They are open 9 to 430, m-f, closed for lunch 1130 to 1230. So its nye imposible to get in there for workkng folk. So they arent much help.

Is that a 6-1/2 hour work day? Plus every federal holiday and retirement after 20 yrs? And a cool funkyassed green vehicle to drive ???

The Helion Pit (where everyone goes) is, was, and will be open for shooting. Everything along the Memaloose Road before that is closed - same as always. The 270 just past the Helion Pit has been closed for a few years now. Beyond that is open.

The confusing signs are being updated to clarify that the closure only applies to the first 6.8 miles and the 270 spur described above.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5433851.pdf

I can answer any questions about shooting restrictions on Mt. Hood National Forest. Anyone can private message me if you like.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top