JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have any feedback for me on the Mechtech CCU? I am contemplating buying one for my 1911. http://mechtechsys.com/

img4.jpg

I had a 9mm for my g17 and it was a nightmare.
Sent it 3 times and it still fell apart.
Dumped it to someone with it's history at a huge loss.
Great concept.
Fell extremely short of living up to my expectations.
Just because I put it on glock perfection doesn't make it perfect
Broken extractor.
Couldn't keep the tail spring on and when they suggested super glue I was done.
I could go on.
Don't get me started on customer service.

I had a 9mm for my g17 and it was a nightmare.
Sent it 3 times and it still fell apart.
Dumped it to someone with it's history at a huge loss.
Great concept.
Fell extremely short of living up to my expectations.
Just because I put it on glock perfection doesn't make it perfect
Broken extractor.
Couldn't keep the tail spring on and when they suggested super glue I was done.
I could go on.
Don't get me started on customer service.
You're kinda sugar coating this. o_O
So you're voting against it?:D

I have a 9mm Glock version MechTech upper, courtesy of an NWFA member in this thread ;) I've run it several times at the range, and all I can say is that it's worked 100% for me, not a single failure to date.

There are 3 comments of note. First, as it's got the full quad rail, it's heavy. Second, it makes a very notable 'ping' as the bolt hits the back of the buffer. Third, it's an awful lot of fun to shoot :)

Based on my experience, which is limited to this one model, I'd certainly be willing to recommend them. But then, I've had no need to deal with them for warranty service, so I can't comment there. I'd love to add one in 460 Rowland, 10mm or .45acp down the road.

Third, it's an awful lot of fun to shoot :)
Based on my experience, which is limited to this one model, I'd certainly be willing to recommend them. But then, I've had no need to deal with them for warranty service, so I can't comment there. I'd love to add one in 460 Rowland, 10mm or .45acp down the road.

After the feedback so far, I'm kinda mixed on buying one. It remains intrigueing; the price is right; sounds like fun. I would be getting one for my Para .45ACP or I might put a 9mm extractor in the Para and get the 9mm upper; it's cheaper to shoot for fun. Conversely one in .45 would be quite the thumper for street fighting. Do they have interchangeable barrels?

However, I don't have money to spend on something where there is even a slight chance of quality issues, nor do I have any patience for bad customer service.

Maybe I will call the company to see how they have addressed the reported failures.

Thanx!

You're kinda sugar coating this. o_O
So you're voting against it?:D
I will always remember the day I got rid of it. A weight lifted off me. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to make it work. New loads. New lube
A friend of mine also put significant energy into it trying to help me.
I would not even take one for free.
An amazing concept except after totally taking them a part you see they kind came up short finishing it.
Absolutely no way would I recommend one.

After the feedback so far, I'm kinda mixed on buying one. It remains intrigueing; the price is right; sounds like fun. I would be getting one for my Para .45ACP or I might put a 9mm extractor in the Para and get the 9mm upper; it's cheaper to shoot for fun. Conversely one in .45 would be quite the thumper for street fighting. Do they have interchangeable barrels?

However, I don't have money to spend on something where there is even a slight chance of quality issues, nor do I have any patience for bad customer service.

Maybe I will call the company to see how they have addressed the reported failures.

Thanx!

I've never seen any evidence of an ability to swap barrels, I believe they are fixed. Again, my experience is such that I'd be interested in trying them in another caliber, but it's not something I'll be doing anytime soon. For me, it's a fun plinker, not a battle gun or even home defense gun - for that, I'll stick with dedicated weapons.

That said, if you're interested in going 9mm, you may be better off, if you have any concerns, perhaps going with an AR 9mm carbine instead - more support, more products available and likely, more common. Obviously wouldn't work with your 1911 lower, but that may not be a big deal. You could also look into the newer Gen 2 Kel Tec pistol carbines if you can find one.

I will always remember the day I got rid of it. A weight lifted off me. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to make it work. New loads. New lube
A friend of mine also put significant energy into it trying to help me.
I would not even take one for free.
An amazing concept except after totally taking them a part you see they kind came up short finishing it.
Absolutely no way would I recommend one.

I've heard the owner is a bit of an inflexible guy. Amazing how frequently arrogance and pigheadedness can cause problems for certain companies. Maybe if the design and manufacturing could get into the hands of someone that cared about their customers, they could take the design to the next level and make it reliable for every owner.

Thanx!
If you call and talk to Russ you will come away with a warm fuzzy feeling that every thing is going to be great. It never was.
2 times back on my dime, once on theirs.
First time, broken extractor. I really think it came that way. Amazing it ran as well as it did that way. Second time I sent some of my ammo with it and I don't think they did any thing.
Third time on them and it was a new receiver -chamber etc. Really thought they had it until we were cleaning up brass off the bench and there was the tail spring again.
Really was enjoyable until that and then it was a bummer. Not going to attach it with super glue.
Amazing piece considering how well it will run with broken or missing pieces.
I was done and they basically told me to bad.
Have since learned distance is possible with a Glock and what distance do you expect with 9mm?
I know the 147gr bullets you can darn near watch drop at 100 yards.
I had an an amazing thought. If I want a carbine , how about an AR?
Oh already got one of those.
Got it with my son in mind instead of playing the 22lr ammo game.
Now he's shooting a G34 really well and doing really really well with 308.
Guess I satisfied the 9mm carbine desire.

Well we got to good reviews ,not to be confused with 2 reviews that were good:confused:,
and they were on both ends of the spectrum. And y'all didn't call each other poo brains!:)
So although I appreciate etrain16's "good" review I would say I'm with bbbass and would have to pass cause I don't have the patience to mess with CS' BS either
So the tall feed ramp isn't what any of the problems are about? That seems to would be the first thing to cause any problems

For me, it's a fun plinker, not a battle gun or even home defense gun - for that, I'll stick with dedicated weapons.

That said, if you're interested in going 9mm, you may be better off, if you have any concerns, perhaps going with an AR 9mm carbine instead - more support, more products available and likely, more common. Obviously wouldn't work with your 1911 lower, but that may not be a big deal. You could also look into the newer Gen 2 Kel Tec pistol carbines if you can find one.

Quite right etrain16... the thumper was a secondary thought since I do have a combat shotgun. Originally I wanted a lightweight 9mm to shoot during the informal "fun" 3-gun competition that we have at the local club. And since I just bought a Glock 34, I'm not shooting the Para P14 as much and that would be a cool way to use it. I really don't want to sell the Para.

I have an AR lower that I haven't done anything with yet. Been back and forth over building a lightweight AR15 pistol with a cheekweld or the same in AR9. The AR9 just got too expensive. Change the hammer or buy a 9mm adapter the will use the standard; buy a special BCG; buy a special recoil spring; very expensive upper; etc. I wanted something cheaper to shoot than .556 and easier to find than .22lr... I reload so 9mm sounds about right. But not at $900 or more. :(

Have since learned distance is possible with a Glock and what distance do you expect with 9mm?
I had an an amazing thought. If I want a carbine , how about an AR?
Got it with my son in mind instead of playing the 22lr ammo game.
Guess I satisfied the 9mm carbine desire.

I can hit a 12" plate with my Para .45 at 75 yards. Totally shocked me. But I wanted a carbine that is affordable to shoot. Pistol calibers fit the bill. Just not .22lr, which you have to buy out of the back of a truck nowadays. I reload .223 for my AR varmint, dime sized 5 shot 100yd groups, but still that is a lot of powder and more expensive bullets compared to 9mm. I usually just buy the cheap .223 for fun shooting.

Yeah, I just about have satisfied the 9mm carbine desire too. Can't afford a dedicated AR9 just for fun. Bummer.

Last Edited:
Trust me you are not pushing it. I could hit a plate at 100 yards with my 1911
I think you will be surprised what a pistol caliber can do if you stretch it out

Gonna have to give it a try when the weather warms. Will do it with the Glock 34 too. You never know when you might have to take out the driver at 100 yards. :cool:

Oops! sure enough that will be the next scenario at 3-gun. LOL

unpopular opinion here ;)

Hi Point carbine. Their 4595TS can use modified 1911 magazines, I think someone somewhere was trying to make a special mag catch that would enable users to use 1911 mags without modding them.
The 9mm has a slightly different magazine in some details than a 9mm 1911 magazine...

I know the 4095 and 4595 both can use their 40 and 45 pistol magazines (switchable) if You want something like a brick-sized, heavy as hades handgun.

with 9mm +P rounds, according to Ballistics By The Inch.. they recorded the following for a 16" barrel; in FPS, Muzzle velocity.
Cor-Bon 90gr JHP +P
Cor-Bon 115gr JHP +P
Cor-Bon 125gr JHP +P
Cor-Bon 115gr DPX
Federal 115gr JHP
Federal 135gr Hydra-Shok JHP Low Recoil
Federal 105gr Expanding FMJ
Federal 124Gr Hydra-Shok JHP
Federal 147gr Hydra-Shok JHP
Speer 124gr Gold Dot Short Barrel

This tells me that compared to 4-5" barrel, they gain anywhere from 100fps to 300fps increase in the longer barrel....
Punching the numbers above into another site's ballistics calculator shows that the 9mm round trajectories are pretty much flat-lethal to 100 yards, some going 150 yards... the heaviest bullets lose a LOT of oomph at 100 yards though.

One would need to check and see if the .45 ACP can be loaded to burn slow and exit faster in a longer barrel.... not sure of .40SW, I think it can be hot-rodded but its not usually advisable?

If only the NFA act didn't include such things as SBRs..... we could see better ballistics from 10-13" pistol caliber carbines (from 13" to 18" does not seem to increase FPS much at all... within maybe 20 or so), and be more accurate...and they'd be a lot handier for some of the smaller folks (my 105lb fiancee for one...)

Last Edited:
unpopular opinion here ;)

Hi Point carbine. Their 4595TS can use modified 1911 magazines, I think someone somewhere was trying to make a special mag catch that would enable users to use 1911 mags without modding them.
The 9mm has a slightly different magazine in some details than a 9mm 1911 magazine...

I know the 4095 and 4595 both can use their 40 and 45 pistol magazines (switchable) if You want something like a brick-sized, heavy as hades handgun.

with 9mm +P rounds, according to Ballistics By The Inch.. they recorded the following for a 16" barrel; in FPS, Muzzle velocity.
Cor-Bon 90gr JHP +P
Cor-Bon 115gr JHP +P
Cor-Bon 125gr JHP +P
Cor-Bon 115gr DPX
Federal 115gr JHP
Federal 135gr Hydra-Shok JHP Low Recoil
Federal 105gr Expanding FMJ
Federal 124Gr Hydra-Shok JHP
Federal 147gr Hydra-Shok JHP
Speer 124gr Gold Dot Short Barrel

This tells me that compared to 4-5" barrel, they gain anywhere from 100fps to 300fps increase in the longer barrel....
Punching the numbers above into another site's ballistics calculator shows that the 9mm round trajectories are pretty much flat-lethal to 100 yards, some going 150 yards... the heaviest bullets lose a LOT of oomph at 100 yards though.

One would need to check and see if the .45 ACP can be loaded to burn slow and exit faster in a longer barrel.... not sure of .40SW, I think it can be hot-rodded but its not usually advisable?

If only the NFA act didn't include such things as SBRs..... we could see better ballistics from 10-13" pistol caliber carbines (from 13" to 18" does not seem to increase FPS much at all... within maybe 20 or so), and be more accurate...and they'd be a lot handier for some of the smaller folks (my 105lb fiancee for one...)

I've owned a Hi Point pistol and carbine in the past. Of the two, the carbine was the better gun. Considering the price, if you wanted a dedicated pistol carbine, it's actually not a bad way to go.

Yup. I picked mine up for $210 OTD. It came with a Tasco Pro-Point red dot. If you can look hard in the gun shows in your area, you might be able to pick up a Hi Point carbine for a good deal. I think recently either Cabela's or Coastal Farm and Ranch had a great deal on new Hi Point carbines.... wait for their sales weekends :) (Saw a 4595 for under 300..... )

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews