JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For my money, the AR9 can't be beat. All the things we love about the AR (mag capacity, after market support, familiarity, etc.) in a 9mm. You can find the PSA kit (no lower) for about $400 a couple times a year. They also just released the Glock mag lowers and their hybrid uppers are supposed to feed both the Glock and Colt SMG style mags. The newer versions are a bit more but I think you can put one together for $650 or so. I would like to see some in other calipers but the 9 is a hoot.

For my money, the AR9 can't be beat. All the things we love about the AR (mag capacity, after market support, familiarity, etc.) in a 9mm. You can find the PSA kit (no lower) for about $400 a couple times a year. They also just released the Glock mag lowers and their hybrid uppers are supposed to feed both the Glock and Colt SMG style mags. The newer versions are a bit more but I think you can put one together for $650 or so. I would like to see some in other calipers but the 9 is a hoot.

Is that the unit that has had instability problems with the mag adapter?

I'll have to look at the Glock mag lower, that might be a good fit for me if not too expensive.

Last Edited:
unpopular opinion here ;)

Hi Point carbine.
..and they'd be a lot handier for some of the smaller folks (my 105lb fiancee for one...)

I wouldn't mind owning a Hi-point Carbine to throw in a future UTV for out on the desert. Or for the wifey to shoot. I may eventually get one for that. But right now I need something with a high cap mag to also use in informal 3-gun competition. I have an AR15 varminter with a heavy barrel, several 30rd mags and a 40rd mag. However, I can get by with 20rds. 10rds?... not so much. My P14 can be modified for 9mm and I already have some P18 mags, which with base pads would be 22rd mags, so the MechTech would have been a good fit.

Thanx for your input! :)

Is that the unit that has had instability problems with the mag adapter?

I'll have to look at the Glock mag lower, that might be a good fit for me if not too expensive.
Mine is a mag block, but stability is fine. Mags locks in secure. My only complaint is with the mags themselves and how big of a PITA they are to load. The mag-lula took care of that though. I also thought about the High Point carbine for a while , but couldn't get past the mag capacity issue and how ugly they are. Plus I knew I would probably never own a High Point pistol to share mags as well.

There used to be an aftermarket stock that turned the 995 into a cx4 storm look alike from ATI. I hear you on mag capacity... someone or a few people were trying to get Suomi 9mm drums to work with the 995 mag bodies... not sure if they ever succeeded. Promag 15rders are known to be crap for whatever reason.. Redball Sports 20rd magazines for the 995 and 4095 and 4595 have been said to be coming soon for the last few years :confused:

I may just let it sleep for awhile... The lower that I have can be built into a false SBR for about $350: Hardened Arms has their 10.5" upper on sale for $199, I can use the BCG and charging handle out of my varminter; pistol buffer and Shockwave stabilizer w/cover or Thordsen cheekrest $150.

KE7vIdOl.jpg

DSC_0716.png

Redball Sports 20rd magazines for the 995 and 4095 and 4595 have been said to be coming soon for the last few years :confused:

Went to the Redball Sports website... it looks like they are available for $24.99ea. But wow, that is an ugly option!! Maybe Hi-Point will see the light and make a double stack version of the carbine and pistol.

pic4.jpg

I had one for a few years, the only trouble I had with it was the bolt finish rusted a little. I Cerakoated it and fixed that!
The barrel is fixed and cannot be changed out. I ran a few thousand rounds thru it with zero problems. I even ran a bunch of light semi wadcutter reloads thru it, and it ate them up no prob! I heard they had some issues with some of their first ones they put out.
I never had to contact them for customer service ;)

Went to the Redball Sports website... it looks like they are available for $24.99ea. But wow, that is an ugly option!! Maybe Hi-Point will see the light and make a double stack version of the carbine and pistol.

View attachment 281203

From what I've read, Hi-Point originally engineered their guns in the shadow of the Clinton AWB, and made them single stack so they could be sold just about anywhere. Apparently the company sees no need for models with double stack mags, and, if you look carefully, use of any magazine other than Hi-Point, such as the ProMag, violates the warranty and you may lose that lifetime warranty coverage that folks tout about them.

yeah that was the first thing I thought too about the looks of the RedBall Sports 20rd mag, BUT if it functions better than the ProMag series.... note, their warranty specifically states PROMAG, as that is pretty much the ONLY other aftermarket mag company for Hi Point firearms..... I might buy one if I can find one locally (they're in Camas, soo fired off an email to them about that) and see how it functions. HPFF still sees no need to completely redesign the grip innards and feed ramp to accommodate a double stack magazine not when they've already developed a sizable consumer base, and want to keep costs down as much as possible... I mean really, 20+ years of making the same stuff..... granted they could have gone with making a factory mag catch that allows them to use 1911 magazines, and that would enable users to get higher capacity 1911 magazines for the 4595 and 45 pistols, but no, they use the same catch design as the 995, so why change? Plus they're for the most part, 48 state legal now.... used to be 50 state legal but thanks to California and NYC....... Not sure if other states banned em or not.

As to why the kink? same reason with the MP5 magazines, same reason for the HK UMP sticks... the cartridges don't seem to like being stacked in a straight line in a single stack. It's also why you see conical drums for 9mmP pistols.
I would have preferred a snail drum design though, but I can see why they went with simple banana shape for the 20 rd magazine. As ugly as it looks.... if it's more reliable... that's still cheaper than buying two factory 995 magazines at 18.50 each versus 20rds for 24.99.

I had one for a few years, the only trouble I had with it was the bolt finish rusted a little. I Cerakoated it and fixed that!
The barrel is fixed and cannot be changed out. I ran a few thousand rounds thru it with zero problems. I even ran a bunch of light semi wadcutter reloads thru it, and it ate them up no prob! I heard they had some issues with some of their first ones they put out.
I never had to contact them for customer service ;)

Which gun are you talking about? Mech Tech? Hi-Point?

I'm assuming Mech Tech; the reference to bareel being fixed makes me think its about the Mech tech upper and not the Hi Point 995 whose barrels have never been removable... I know someone asked if the Mech tech barrel was swappable or some such.

That was kind of my question I guess.... The barrel on my MechTech is removable, it's attached to a trunnion with two large (1/4") roll pins that can be driven out to separate the two. I don't know if you could talk MechTech into sending you a different barrel though, since you'd probably need at least a new bolt and possibly new bolt carrier to convert calibers.

That was kind of my question I guess.... The barrel on my MechTech is removable, it's attached to a trunnion with two large (1/4") roll pins that can be driven out to separate the two. I don't know if you could talk MechTech into sending you a different barrel though, since you'd probably need at least a new bolt and possibly new bolt carrier to convert calibers.

Thanx for that info!!

Sorry I wasn't clear in my posting...MechTech

And your correct the barrel is removable if you take out the two .250 roll pins. But then the barrel is pressed into an aluminum trunnion, I put a few tons on it in the press trying to pop it out and then wondered why? It doesn't need to come out! No reason to remove it..;)

Sorry I wasn't clear in my posting...MechTech

And your correct the barrel is removable if you take out the two .250 roll pins. But then the barrel is pressed into an aluminum trunnion, I put a few tons on it in the press trying to pop it out and then wondered why? It doesn't need to come out! No reason to remove it..;)

I don't remember if mine came out on it's own or if he had to use a press. I had Tom Denall shorten and thread it for me, and he had to cut the trunnion back a little to get it where I wanted it. Maybe it was the bolt carrier I took apart myself.

Curious how many rounds you guys that have a mech tech that works have shot through them and how many you would shoot on an average trip out to the range.
We would put about 500 through it and shoot it like a Glock.
Obviously it didn't work for us.

Curious how many rounds you guys that have a mech tech that works have shot through them and how many you would shoot on an average trip out to the range.
We would put about 500 through it and shoot it like a Glock.
Obviously it didn't work for us.

I suspect @Modeler and @Velzey have more experience than I do. I've only been to the range twice with mine so far, and I haven't put it through the punishment you put yours through, so I can't answer to long term reliability. Velzey probably has a good insight too in the fact that he's a gunsmith probably would be on a close lookout for any problems with his own. I know he noted in a post above that he ran several thousand rounds, including handloads through it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top