JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone have any feedback for me on the Mechtech CCU? I am contemplating buying one for my 1911. http://mechtechsys.com/

View attachment 281074
Does anyone have any feedback for me on the Mechtech CCU? I am contemplating buying one for my 1911. http://mechtechsys.com/

View attachment 281074
I had the Glock 19 version. Couldn't get it to feed reliably enough to even sight the damn thing in. Tried two different G19 frames, a gen 2 and a gen 3. Same problem. Sent it back to Mechtech. They sent me three different "Glock blocks". None of them worked. I did a little modification on one and got it to kinda work. Sold the whole mess to someone who likes to tinker with bad guns. This may only apply to the Glock version, but I wouldn't have another one of those things. My recommendation, just buy a whole pistol caliber carbine (not Keltec) and and forget the conversion nonsense.

I had the Glock 19 version. Couldn't get it to feed reliably enough to even sight the damn thing in. Tried two different G19 frames, a gen 2 and a gen 3. Same problem. Sent it back to Mechtech. They sent me three different "Glock blocks". None of them worked. I did a little modification on one and got it to kinda work. Sold the whole mess to someone who likes to tinker with bad guns. This may only apply to the Glock version, but I wouldn't have another one of those things. My recommendation, just buy a whole pistol caliber carbine (not Keltec) and and forget the conversion nonsense.

Thanx! I was advised the same thing when looking at an AR9 conversion. Finally decided it was way too much hassle when I looked at all the expensive parts I'd need. Made it nearly the price of a dedicated AR9.:( Same thing for converting my P14 to a P18.

I've gone back and forth on the pistol caliber carbine for home defense. I have a pistol can that I could put on it and be good to go, but I also have AR's. And since I've already put so much $$$ into ARs I'm thinking maybe I ought to just put that money into a rifle can and use what I already have.

But we all know that suppressed 556 is going to be a world louder than suppressed 9mm. In an unsuppressed comparison i'd probably prefer 9mm out of a rifle barrel than 556, but a suppressed 556 would probably beat any 9mm carbine.

I've gone back and forth on the pistol caliber carbine for home defense. I have a pistol can that I could put on it and be good to go, but I also have AR's. And since I've already put so much $$$ into ARs I'm thinking maybe I ought to just put that money into a rifle can and use what I already have.

But we all know that suppressed 556 is going to be a world louder than suppressed 9mm. In an unsuppressed comparison i'd probably prefer 9mm out of a rifle barrel than 556, but a suppressed 556 would probably beat any 9mm carbine.

Just curious... saving your hearing when shooting inside?

As another option, I can also speak to the Beretta CX4 carbine. I had one for a while, and it's a really nice carbine. It's lightweight, compact and very reliable. It's fun to shoot and would be well suited to act in a defensive gun role. I liked it because it used the same mags as my Beretta 92 - I love having guns that can share parts like magazines.

I had only one complaint with the CX4, which was why I sold it - the fixed stock. It just didn't fit me well at all. There are spacers you can add to the stock to extend the length, but it looked like I would need quite a few to make it work. If they came up with an adjustable stock version, I'd probably consider buying one again. And they can be threaded for a suppressor - I came across at least 2 different vendors that will thread the barrels.

I remember that someone was able to mod a 1911 mag to work on a hi point 45 carbine and pistol by inserting a screwdriver and pushing it so as to make a divot of sorts on the mag catch hole in order to work with the hi point mag button... I am not sure if there is something else in the mag body to hold but a though occurred to me.. there exist 25rd 1911 drum magazines... how hard would it be to make them compatible with the hi poiny 45 carbine?? OR custom machine (hey velzy.. heres an idea lol) a mag catch for the 1911 that will work 100% reliably inside the hi point grip...

I remember that someone was able to mod a 1911 mag to work on a hi point 45 carbine and pistol by inserting a screwdriver and pushing it so as to make a divot of sorts on the mag catch hole in order to work with the hi point mag button... I am not sure if there is something else in the mag body to hold but a though occurred to me.. there exist 25rd 1911 drum magazines... how hard would it be to make them compatible with the hi poiny 45 carbine?? OR custom machine (hey velzy.. heres an idea lol) a mag catch for the 1911 that will work 100% reliably inside the hi point grip...

It can be done, but I question the reliability. I've owned a 9mm HiPoint carbine, actually not a bad gun, but the magazine limitation is really the reason I sold it. They've made it clear they have no plans to move to a double-stack design, which is too bad, because the gun has promise for a lower priced pistol caliber carbine.

In reality the CX4 brings more to the table for a pistol caliber carbine. Cost isn't tremendously high and you can get a model that's compatible with either 92 magazines (which means easy to get 30 rounders) or PX4 magazines. If it weren't for the darn short fixed stock, I would still own one today. I would definitely trust the CX4 to be 100% reliable for home defense. I'm not yet sold on the Hi Point having that level of reliability.

The CX4 has a LOP as 13.5" to 15". How gargantuan are you, @etrain16 ?

If that Italian Beretta carbine used Austrian Glock mags, I'd be all over it. I have close to a zillion Glock mags, but zero Beretta mags. The use of Glock mags is really important for a lot of users. Although this thread was started by someone planning to use 1911 mags, possibly from a 2011 double stack.

Maybe someday I'll get a Gen2 Sub2K.

Although, in looking up mag prices, 92 mags are easily available and about the same price as Glock mags. I wouldn't need a bunch of mags, though, since if I were expecting some sort of extended engagement (SHTF or something similar), I'd kit up with my AR.

The CX4 has a LOP as 13.5" to 15". How gargantuan are you, @etrain16 ?

If that Italian Beretta carbine used Austrian Glock mags, I'd be all over it. I have close to a zillion Glock mags, but zero Beretta mags. The use of Glock mags is really important for a lot of users. Although this thread was started by someone planning to use 1911 mags, possibly from a 2011 double stack.

Maybe someday I'll get a Gen2 Sub2K.

I'm 6'1", so not way up there. Maybe it's just a combination of my anatomy, arm length, etc., but I struggled with getting in a comfortable position. As a comparison, I always run AR's at full extension of the stock, which puts me, depending on the gun, as far out as 16". I run the MechTech at right about 15" for my personal comfort. I didn't have the spacers for the CX4 when I owned it, and that may have made a difference, but I didn't think it would make enough difference for it to fit the way I wanted.

Although, in looking up mag prices, 92 mags are easily available and about the same price as Glock mags. I wouldn't need a bunch of mags, though, since if I were expecting some sort of extended engagement (SHTF or something similar), I'd kit up with my AR.

One bonus for the 92 mags is buying MecGar - same quality as the Beretta brand mags, and, as I recall, MecGar makes the mags for Beretta.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top