Meanwhile, a reminder why we

Andy54Hawken

Reactions
Yeah..don't do that.

In my library , there are numerous books on firearms , to include muzzleloading arms...Shocking I know...:eek::D
Some of the older books on blackpowder arms , older as in from the 1930's , have what they called "Duplex loads" , where the load would be part black and part smokeless powder.

While I do enjoy shooting muzzleloaders and shooting them , the "way they did it then"...
If any of you find data reference to a "Duplex Load" of Black and Smokeless powder...Do not use it.

When shooting with friends ( Yes I actually have some...:D ) who only have have modern arms , it is always good to be aware of just where arms and ammo are on the shooting line , bench , etc...just to avoid things like this.
Andy

Reactions
don't take nitro propellant to a BP range.

View attachment 565198

This is on the shelf behind the counter in my lgs.

The shooter was not hurt, but was somewhat shaken. The load was said to have been something like 35gr of H110.
I went to the Gunworks Saturday to get some "real" BP for my flintlock. I can't use my FFFg Hodgen 777.
I saw some Flint shooters posting to put 5 grains of real BP in first for ignition then finish the charge
off with 777. I shudder at the thought. Just wait & get real BP.
Longbeard

mm93

Reactions
Back around the very late 1800's when semi smokeless, and smokeless powders hit the market, it was pretty common for those shooting BP to use a very small priming charge of smokeless powder. Before that it was common for BP shooters to use a priming duplex charge of a hotter BP under their charge of correct granulation in their rifles.
It can be dangerous in the wrong hands, but experienced shooters weren't blowing up their guns back then. It was the uneducated who didn't do their homework and ensure the priming charge was correct who blew up their guns.
All loading is potentially dangerous. People still drop the wrong amount of powder, or a fast burning powder in a rifle. Reloading, or loading for a ML gun (or any gun) should be done only once the shooter has enough experience to do so as safely as possible.

A number of reloading tool makers even built duplex powder measures specifically to drop a priming charge of smokeless under a charge of BP. I have a few of these old powder measures in my collection. The Ideal #6 duplex sold quite well to shooters using duplex loads.

Last edited:

UPCOMING EVENTS

Lead Farm Precision Rifle Match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Gun Pro Shooting Supplies
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Little Shop!
    I went in the place several weeks ago while visiting my kid at school. I ended up buying a new set of electronic ear muffs as my old ones were...
  • Gun Pro Shooting Supplies
    5.00 star(s)
    My go-to
    Neil has been nothing but professional, helpful and fair since I was a brand new shooter. He and his staff treat everyone with respect and you...
  • Northwest Armory - Tigard
    1.00 star(s)
    Completely unhappy!
    Not happy, customer service is highly lacking, and the male employees are rude. We wont be back!!
  • Wildcat Mountain
    4.00 star(s)
    Wildcat Mountain Nov. 30
    Went there today, it was accessible but bad conditions which I kind of expected. Melting snow, mud, etc. No one there and I didn't see a lot of...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Best true Gun shop ive been in for some time
    Cool stuff in stock rather than the top 10 at corporate box stores They moved to a larger place I have to go back and spend more money. I like to...
Top Bottom