JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
don't take nitro propellant to a BP range.

upload_2019-4-1_15-38-38.png

This is on the shelf behind the counter in my lgs.

The shooter was not hurt, but was somewhat shaken. The load was said to have been something like 35gr of H110.

Yeah..don't do that.

In my library , there are numerous books on firearms , to include muzzleloading arms...Shocking I know...:eek::D
Some of the older books on blackpowder arms , older as in from the 1930's , have what they called "Duplex loads" , where the load would be part black and part smokeless powder.

While I do enjoy shooting muzzleloaders and shooting them , the "way they did it then"...
If any of you find data reference to a "Duplex Load" of Black and Smokeless powder...Do not use it.

When shooting with friends ( Yes I actually have some...:D ) who only have have modern arms , it is always good to be aware of just where arms and ammo are on the shooting line , bench , etc...just to avoid things like this.
Andy

don't take nitro propellant to a BP range.

View attachment 565198

This is on the shelf behind the counter in my lgs.

The shooter was not hurt, but was somewhat shaken. The load was said to have been something like 35gr of H110.

I went to the Gunworks Saturday to get some "real" BP for my flintlock. I can't use my FFFg Hodgen 777.
I saw some Flint shooters posting to put 5 grains of real BP in first for ignition then finish the charge
off with 777. I shudder at the thought. Just wait & get real BP.
Longbeard

Back around the very late 1800's when semi smokeless, and smokeless powders hit the market, it was pretty common for those shooting BP to use a very small priming charge of smokeless powder. Before that it was common for BP shooters to use a priming duplex charge of a hotter BP under their charge of correct granulation in their rifles.
It can be dangerous in the wrong hands, but experienced shooters weren't blowing up their guns back then. It was the uneducated who didn't do their homework and ensure the priming charge was correct who blew up their guns.
All loading is potentially dangerous. People still drop the wrong amount of powder, or a fast burning powder in a rifle. Reloading, or loading for a ML gun (or any gun) should be done only once the shooter has enough experience to do so as safely as possible.

A number of reloading tool makers even built duplex powder measures specifically to drop a priming charge of smokeless under a charge of BP. I have a few of these old powder measures in my collection. The Ideal #6 duplex sold quite well to shooters using duplex loads.

url

collectibles_antique_ideal_no.6_black_powder_duplex_powder_measure

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR