JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, I thought this is friendly gun forum... I guess it had move the level to name calling! The bubble gum words did not work well I guess.

Who wants to be friendly to some jerk who actively HURTS guns rights, INCLUDING OPEN CARRY?

To Hades with this clown. Tell me HOW, specifically, his acts in ANY WAY, help our rights? Waiting....waiting.... ya, that's what I thought.

This is why people like me, who support his (and my) rights, call this a**clown a detriment.

Look you jack*ss, when you carry around a loaded Ar or AK, the only people who DON'T get concerned, are people in the gun rights community, who immediately know you're just abother of "those idiots," who are going to hurt our image in the greater community.

You aren't going to "NORMALIZE" the carrying of an AR or AK on a chest rig. That's not a self-defense rig that any not crazy person is going to carry in their normal day-to-day activity. It's a bubblegumTY choice BTW, for almost any ACTUAL encounter with a criminal you might have. Matter of fact, I would bet that me, a 50-year-old out of shape dude who's actually BEEN in the military and KNOWS how to make a rifle ineffective at melee range, could take that rifle away from you or do something horrible with it pretty easily.

This is attention whoring while CLAIMING to do something about rights.

This doesn't help us. It hurts us. It makes us all look like loons or fools or (much worse) dangerous crazy people. Clowns like you are what got California it's recent ban on UNLOADED guns. And no, the people who call the cops aren't wrong.

*I* would confront you face-to-face and call you out on your a$$hattery. Given another 10 years of age or so, and *I* would call the cops to do the same.

STOP THIS STUPIDITY. You are scaring the bejesus out of people with ZERO positive effect.

You are going to end up barking up the wrong tree one day and will be put in your place.

I think it needs to be widely known that this is lawful. Anyone slamming him is on the wrong side.

I see this the same as the George Zimmerman case, is it legal for someone to follow another person if they believe them to be a criminal? Yes, it is perfectly legal. Is it legal to open carry? Yes, it is legal to open carry.

However, the issue is of prudence; is it prudent to follow someone that you believe to be a criminal, or open carry a firearm in a liberal society where the police instruct people to dial 911 if they see someone with a gun, regardless of intent. I have a CCL, and I personally prefer to keep it hidden and not broadcast to the public that I have a firearm.

Fortunately, the right to bear arms is protected under the second amendment, however, open carry and CCL permits are up to the discretion of the individual states. Do you want Oregon to become like Commifornia, where they will only give you a CCL if you have been previously assaulted?

Open carry can raise public awareness, but I see it as possibly bringing negative publicity to the gun community. For example, Oregon gun owners held a rally at the capital, which was very productive. However, Ginny Burdick tried to pass legislation banning open carry in the capital building by CCL holders. The liberal lawmakers will use events such as the one in the video to take away our rights.

People that are already afraid of guns will still be afraid of guns while you parade your ar15 around in public. I'm sorry, but no amount of "normalizing" will change their opinion.

Logically speaking, if someone is open carrying for personal protection they will be carrying something that's not in the way, not burdensome and light weight.

What this guy did goes against the grain of logic, so naturally people take notice. The reaction he got was to be expect and carrying around a video recorder proves that he knew this.

This is no different than when I see folks carrying around fixed blade knives on their belt loops as common attire to their dress code. I see a guy who's looking to draw attention to himself, cause an uneasiness and project a tough-guy image to folks around him. My pocket knife is just as effective and almost the same length; yet securely tucked in my pocket so as I can quickly pull it out, flip it open and open just about any box out there (plus it's probably twice as sharp as any fixed blade knife out there).

Going back to logics. If I see someone who's not logical as to their approach to exercising their rights, I see someone who's hurting my rights, because they're an idiot. I know what's legal and what's illegal, and I know my rights. I also understand the concept that those rights granted to me are there for a purpose.

Hopefully I never see the day when I need to use those rights, but at the same time I will vigorously fight to keep those rights for the purpose they were written.

I love guns. I own guns. I carry guns. I make my living from guns. (No point hiding any of this from the black helicopters, I'm sure they already know... :s0131:)

I hope to have kids some day. I hope to be able to take them out shooting. I hope they can shoot an AR, it's a lot of fun. I understand that this guy wants to normalize the AR. I get that. I hope it is normal and legal to own one in 20 years. My argument is that he is going about it in the exact wrong way. If you want to normalize AR's, then go to the range. Take your family. Videotape it. Show people practicing safe gun handling and with big smiles on their faces. Show them the benefits of the platform for adapting to different shooters. Show the target to show its accuracy. Post in on the internet. Show people how much fun they are. Show them that there is a use for them beyond mass shootings.

I don't much care for the concept of open carry. Never thought it was a tactically wise decision. But I don't suppose I'd really go against someone exercising that right in a respectful, reasonable manner. A man walking down the street with a holstered pistol on his hip is reasonable, even to a lot of people outside of our world. Walking around with an AR strapped on isn't even reasonable to everyone in our world, much less the general public.

If this video had show this guy getting harassed by the police (he wasn't) while rationally exercising his rights (again, he wasn't), then most everyone here would support him. Even pro-LEO, non-open carriers like me. But he didn't. He decided to strap a camera, an AR, and a tac bag on himself and walk down a small town America street. That isn't the way to normalize the AR. You have to break through the fear to reach someone and change their opinion. All this did was scare the hell out of people.

Like others have said, and I can't resist, kudos to the Police Officers who handled this contact in a professional, courteous manner. No disarming, no arrests, nothing but talk and perhaps a bit of advice that maybe the guy should listen to.

That rally a the capitol was cool, I didn't know what to expect. I was just off the capitol steps and twenty-one ish guy in front of me had an AR with the barrel pointed downward; he was sweeping lower body of everyone around him every time he moved. Got to love that. Oh what would the TCGC range officers say to that?

It "wasn't loaded", but for the most part everyone else was pointed skyward. Honestly, I thought him handling the rifle in the crowd would have been worse than leaving it pointed downward.

I moved away, I don't think many others noticed or cared. I didn't appreciate it.

I don't much care for the concept of open carry. Never thought it was a tactically wise decision. But I don't suppose I'd really go against someone exercising that right in a respectful, reasonable manner. A man walking down the street with a holstered pistol on his hip is reasonable, even to a lot of people outside of our world. Walking around with an AR strapped on isn't even reasonable to everyone in our world, much less the general public.

From the standpoint of this being a forum of discourse, I have a respectful question.

Aside from making a video of it, what is the difference ?

Open carry is open carry.

Regulation of an item based on how it looks is what .gov does.

The context is all off. In the woods, the farm, hunting, hell even out fishing you expect to see guns and I don't have a problem with it. I expect to see holstered handguns everywhere, again I don't have a problem with it. You don't expect to see rifles downtown or in a neighborhood. For example for someone to transition from walking to sitting in a car they need to handle the rifle and I do not trust people to do the right thing. Not safe in my book, no safe direction when you're around that much population.

This guy has a ton of videos of him doing the same thing all over Oregon. He always says he is educating people, but in reality he just wants people to think he is cool. People need to stop posting these on here and stop watching his videos. He was a member here until he got flamed so much for his actions he quit responding to post.

My opinion is that if you are not advancing the conversation by your actions, then you need to do something else. What he is doing is not helping.

The guy in the video was a douche. Sorry. I'm all for carry rights and am a solid supporter of your right to carry a firearm. But for heaven's sake... do it like a mature adult... not a child. Be aware and carry like a responsible and mature adult. Don't get confrontational with the cops and just be a stand up guy

2nd cop was a stellar example of what cops need to be. Refused to take even the most glaring bait.

Good for him.

From the standpoint of this being a forum of discourse, I have a respectful question.

Aside from making a video of it, what is the difference ?

Open carry is open carry.

Regulation of an item based on how it looks is what .gov does.

The difference isn't regulation, its reason. Just because something is legal, doesn't mean it's advisable.

It is reasonable to carry a holstered pistol. It does scare some people, especially some of those who don't buy/own/understand guns, but for the most part, it seems to be pretty calm. People open carry quite often that I see, and it seems fairly low key. They aren't trying to draw attention to themselves (well, most aren't, there are exceptions to every rule), they are just carrying a firearm for self-defense. Maybe they don't have a CCW, maybe they are from out of state, maybe they just prefer their rig OWB.

But strapping on an AR, a tac/ccw bag, and a camera seems different. It doesn't seem even the guy who did it thinks its reasonable. Otherwise, why would he have strapped a camera on? He was expecting a confrontation because he knew he was being unreasonable. So he's trying to educate. How? By scaring people?

I'm sorry, I understand there are those of you who wish this was commonplace, normal behavior. You wish you could strap your AR on and go to the store for milk. But until society completely collapses, and this is actually necessary to defend yourself from roving bands of criminals, it will not be normal behavior. There is ZERO chance that any of these recent incidents do anything but turn otherwise ambiguous people into gun haters.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top