JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I guess I'm not surprised....

Mayor Murray joins Mayors Against Illegal Guns, national bipartisan coalition of mayors committed to reducing gun violence | Mayor Murray

Mayor Murray joins Mayors Against Illegal Guns, national bipartisan coalition of mayors committed to reducing gun violence
February 19, 2014

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray today joined Mayors Against Illegal Guns, the national bipartisan coalition of mayors across the United States fighting for common-sense gun laws that will save lives by keeping illegal guns out of dangerous hands.

“Mayors are on the front lines of preventing gun violence in their communities and they know better than anybody else the daily toll of gun violence in our cities and towns,” said Michael R. Bloomberg. “But this is a national problem that requires national action — and that’s why our broad coalition of mayors from across the country has come together to demand that our leaders in Washington pass sensible laws that will save lives. The addition of Mayor Murray to our coalition strengthens our efforts to end the bloodshed and ensure that our communities are safe.”

“I am committed to bringing an end to senseless gun violence in our neighborhoods. As a State Senator, I was proud to fight for sensible gun laws in Olympia and as mayor, I will help lead the fight to pass I-594, ensuring a background check on the sale of all guns in Washington,” said Murray. “I’m proud to join mayors across the United States to fight the tragedy of gun violence and push a national agenda for common sense.”

Members of Mayors Against Illegal Guns include Democrats, Republicans, and Independents in big cities and small towns alike. While their backgrounds may differ, on the issue of gun violence they are united for the sake of public safety. The coalition recently announced that it has joined forces with Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America – solidifying a nationwide movement of Americans working together to end gun violence.

Every day 33 Americans are killed by guns – Mayor Murray and his fellow coalition members are not willing to stand idly by. Mayors Against Illegal Guns has advocated for stronger gun laws in states and localities that are already keeping guns from dangerous hands. For example, in Colorado a new background check requirement has already blocked 100 sales to prohibited purchasers since the law went into effect last July.

The coalition has also called on Washington to take meaningful action to address the issue of gun violence in America, and they will continue to do so until progress is made. This includes:

Requiring every gun buyer to pass a criminal background check.
Submitting records of prohibited purchasers to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).
Making gun trafficking a federal crime.
Passing stronger laws that keep guns out of the hands of domestic abusers and protect victims of domestic violence.

... Mayors are on the front lines of preventing gun violence in their communities and they know better than anybody else the daily toll of gun violence in our cities ...

A statement that ~only~ a liberal idjiot could believe in... There are First Responders & EMT's wearing bullet proof vests in some cities... So they can do their jobs, and this mellon for brains mayor thinks he is in front of them all...

I say hogwash, mayor. Get your hands dirty, instead of manicured...

philip

You get what you vote for ! I would put money on many gun owners voted for him.

1) I doubt there are very many gun owners left within the City of Seattle and 2) I doubt any of the candidates who ran (primaries or final election) would have been all that much better a choice from a 2A standpoint. If you're a gun owner in Seattle, your best choice might be to vote with your feet. (something I did years ago) Some gun owners are stuck living there for a variety of reasons - I wish them the best of luck. For now at least, thank goodness for State Preemption.

Seattle mayor poses dilemma for ‘only cops should have guns' crowd

Seattle's new anti-gun Mayor Ed Murray, who joined Mayors Against Illegal Guns the other day, is posing a dilemma for his liberal base because yesterday he supported a decision that reverses the discipline of a police officer who tangled with a writer for a popular liberal alternative newspaper.

<broken link removed>

Of course Ed Murray did. He would've had legal gun owners be subjected to a warrantless search, to prove they aren't in violation of a law: "... The sheriff of the county may, no more than once per year, conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with this subsection;" from http://legiscan.com/WA/text/SB5737/id/739144/Washington-2013-SB5737-Introduced.pdf
and discussed thoroughly in <broken link removed>

When then-state Sen. Murray submitted SB 5737 (a proposed WA AWB in the spring of 2013 ) with this clause, he later claimed that did he didn't actually read it. Did he actually know that a 4th amendment violation was there, but didn't care, until he got caught and had to lie?

That's where I remembered the name from. I don't care if he read it or not. Either he did and knew that it was there or did not and was incompetent and did not take it seriously enough to read it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top