JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm confused. The guy that shot the bear wished he had bear spray and feels remorse for shooting the bear and in the video the two gentleman were hunting and didn't have rounds chambered?!!!

Sorry its them or me and I would feel no remorse for being prepared. I would also have a round chambered in my rifle while hunting.

Its no wonder people go into the woods and think they will be ok with tickle spray or nothing at all. Articles like this contribute to the main stream media delusional hysteria..

But the Video said so!!! o_O:confused:

Its no wonder people go into the woods and think they will be ok with tickle spray or nothing at all. Articles like this contribute to the main stream media delusional hysteria..

A bunch of years back, my wife (then GF) and I, were out here visiting my brother and his girlfriend. We were going to be doing some camping in the Cascades and Central OR. I wasn't armed, because we flew and wanted to stop and get a can of bear spray, because any deterrent, is better than nothing at all.

His GF gave me such a hard time about it, literally until she was pissed the eff off. She was throwing a friggin' temper tantrum. She's one of those B.A.R.K., Oregon Wild types and couldn't believe that I would want to spray a bear. I told her, it wasn't that I "want" to... if it happens it's because I had to. Oh, BTW, she was menstrating.

So one evening we're making cheeseburgers and she rips the bloody beef package open, getting cow blood all over the ground in our camp...you can't fix stupid. My brother is no longer with her but if I ever heard she was attacked by a bear, it would probably make me smile, just a little bit.

A bunch of years back, my wife (then GF) and I, were out here visiting my brother and his girlfriend. We were going to be doing some camping in the Cascades and Central OR. I wasn't armed, because we flew and wanted to stop and get a can of bear spray, because any deterrent, is better than nothing at all.

His GF gave me such a hard time about it, literally until she was pissed the eff off. She was throwing a friggin' temper tantrum. She's one of those B.A.R.K., Oregon Wild types and couldn't believe that I would want to spray a bear. I told her, it wasn't that I "want" to... if it happens it's because I had to. Oh, BTW, she was menstrating.

So one evening we're making cheeseburgers and she rips the bloody beef package open, getting cow blood all over the ground in our camp...you can't fix stupid. My brother is no longer with her but if I ever heard she was attacked by a bear, it would probably make me smile, just a little bit.

Had a buddy in High School. We went camping up in the woods one weekend to do some fishing on a stream. We get out of my car and he reaches into his bag and grabs a .22 revolver. I asked what it was for and he said bears. I just about died laughing. I guess that's all his dad would let him take from the safe at the time.

Had a buddy in High School. We went camping up in the woods one weekend to do some fishing on a stream. We get out of my car and he reaches into his bag and grabs a .22 revolver. I asked what it was for and he said bears. I just about died laughing. I guess that's all his dad would let him take from the safe at the time.
LOL. He should get some hockey pucks from that University of Oakland fella:rolleyes:

I'm confused. The guy that shot the bear wished he had bear spray and feels remorse for shooting the bear and in the video the two gentleman were hunting and didn't have rounds chambered?!!!

Sorry its them or me and I would feel no remorse for being prepared. I would also have a round chambered in my rifle while hunting.

The article definitely had an anti-gun slant to it. I suspect he is remorseful that he had to shoot the bear; probably pleased that he didn't get mauled though - or maybe he just told the liberal media he was remorseful so they wouldn't attack him like they did the Dentist that shot the African Lion! ;) The video credits said it was supported by the "Wilburforce Foundation" - sounds leftist so probably anti-gun:
Home - Wilburforce Foundation

While I do support having lots of public wild lands, it is not good that so many supporters of those lands are anti-gun. And, it is unfortunate that many pro-gun folks don't support public lands since without wild places, what will we have left? New Jersey, Connecticut, or Portland/Seattle? It seems to me that the more civilized or urbanized the land becomes, the more anti-gun the inhabitants become.

I thought the idea of having 2 methods of defense on you was good - one bear spray, and another bear spray or gun; and to have given some thought in advance as to how you'd handle an encounter - standing side-by-side to appear bigger, plus if using spray two people could unload 2 cans - that would be an unpleasant cloud, but if the wind is in the wrong direction, you'll be screwed. :oops:

I'd carry with a round in the chamber also when hunting - racking a round would scare off your game. I did find the claim of "over a ton of energy" from a 460 S&W revolver hard to believe so I looked it up; it's true - that's YUGE for a handgun!
.460 S&W Magnum - Wikipedia

Here's the 500 S&W data:
.500 S&W Magnum - Wikipedia

Here's the article about it in the Jackson Hole publication - has more detail. Comments are interesting.
After griz shooting, doubts and guilt

dont forget with their iphone as a GPS and no compass for just in case :rolleyes:

it is very rare that i will go deep into the woods without a Gun, extra mag, a fire starter, a couple blades, GPS, spare GPS and 2 compass

yes, this 'millennial' knows how to use a compass. :D

Was camping with a buddy of mine back in college, in grizzly country. About 2 a.m. we got woken up by the huffing and gruffing of a grizzly. We were in a tent and couldn't see where he was exactly but he sounded close and getting closer. :s0001:

Immediately I started throwing on my boots. My buddy says, "what the hell are you doing you can't outrun a grizzly!"

I said, "I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun YOU!"

Bahwhawhawha! I love that joke! :D

dont forget with their iphone as a GPS and no compass for just in case :rolleyes:

it is very rare that i will go deep into the woods without a Gun, extra mag, a fire starter, a couple blades, GPS, spare GPS and 2 compass

yes, this 'millennial' knows how to use a compass. :D

As a millennial, you should have already known that the iPhone has an accurate compass app on it as well as GPS... leave your millennial card at the door on your way out of the room.:rolleyes:

:D

Every creature has a right to life as long as it doesn't encroach on mine. Dog, snake, bear or whatever. The thought that a bear or big cat has more right to a space and has the right to kill a human because they are...fill in the blank.

My wife is a hiker and carries bear spray. I encourage her to carry more. In northern Oregon and southern Washington I don't believe there is a big wildlife issue but I don't know that 100%

Every creature has a right to life as long as it doesn't encroach on mine. Dog, snake, bear or whatever. The thought that a bear or big cat has more right to a space and has the right to kill a human because they are...fill in the blank.

My wife is a hiker and carries bear spray. I encourage her to carry more. In northern Oregon and southern Washington I don't believe there is a big wildlife issue but I don't know that 100%

Make sure her bear spray is accessible quickly. I've seen big cat tracks in the snow that make you pay attention, but I worry about 2 legged animals more than 4 legged ones, and that worry increases as I get closer to trailheads.

I never had to worry about getting my wife to pack heat in the woods. Heck, she'd shoot me if I sassed her!!

What we really enjoyed was the look on other backpackers faces when we encountered them on the trail. Them with their granola garb and us with pistolas on our pack belts. :D:D:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top