JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
now I love marlins...... I buy all marlin levers. Here's what I don't get how they can turn out such crap products

1895 45-70 22 inch
Prob was missing 2 lands entire length of barrel

1895 35 rem 20 inch
Prob was sight slightly canted and wrong height front sight, also firearm that moves back and forth

1895 45-70 guide gun
Prob missing rifling at front of barrel and wrong height front sight

1895 45-70g
Prob, she'll elecator drops to early not allowing she'll to chamber w out binding, lever locks up when trying to close when you hold left pressure to lever.

4/4 had to be returned

Marlin has become a gun that you do not buy sight unseen. The most recent guns, after the Ilion factory got the CNC figured out, seem to have improved.

That being said, I would not buy a non-JM proof marked Marlin over the Internet. No gunbroker, budsguns, etc.

And that limits their market. Brick and mortar stores, sadly (and even sadder, I speak from experience of a former gun shop owner), aren't as relevant as they were even ten years ago, outside of being a place for transfers (and no one wants to pay for transfers).
A lot of guns these days get bought at internet dealers who can cut prices to damn near wholesale levels.
But when a manufacturer has the documented problems that Marlin has, people stop buying guns they cannot inspect first.

By the by, I generally don't comment on grammar in Internet forums, but dude, slow down. It was hard to understand what you were trying to get at...

Marlin has become a gun that you do not buy sight unseen.

Marlin has been owned by Remington for a while now. I found that out when I was looking to buy a Marlin .22WMR rifle back in 2012, and then did research on the new found info. When I found that out, I decided against buying it.

I own a Marlin rifle and shotgun, but the shotgun is from around 1915, and the rifle is from around 1959.

I don't know if I am just being un-informed in regards to Remington, but it seems to me they have been having issues with quality since expanding so much.

I know the Remington 770 model was a budget rifle for hunters, but still doesn't excuse the sloppiest bolt action I have ever touched or owned.

To date, the only firearms that still seem to have good quality from Remington, that I have been exposed to, is the 870 shotguns, and Marlin Model 60 .22lr's. I am sure there are others that have good qaulity, but I have not been exposed to some of those other Remington products.

Last Edited:
Marlin has been owned by Remington for a while now. I found that out when I was looking to buy a Marlin .22WMR rifle back in 2012, and then did research on the new found info. When I found that out, I decided against buying it.

I own a Marlin rifle and shotgun, but the shotgun is from around 1915, and the rifle is from around 1959.

I don't know if I am just being un-informed in regards to Remington, but it seems to me they have been having issues with quality since expanding so much.

I know the Remington 770 model was a budget rifle for hunters, but still doesn't excuse the sloppiest bolt action I have ever touched or owned.

To date, the only firearms that still seem to have good quality from Remington, that I have been exposed to, is the 870 shotguns, and Marlin Model 60 .22lr's. I am sure there are others that have good qaulity, but I have not been exposed to some of those other Remington products.

- P

I am familiar with the history behind Freedom Group/Remington, etc.

The issue is, it really isn't Remington anymore. It isn't Marlin, it isn't Bushmaster, or DPMS, etc.
They are no longer gun companies. They are capital management and venture management companies. They are holding companies worried about profit, not product quality.

You are correct in one regard, the expansion of lines by Remington has done them no favors.

Marlin was moved to the Ilion, NY Remington factory as a cost saving measure. From what I understand, the machines in Marlin's factory were still building nice guns but were not really moveable. Add to that the loss of an experienced work force with a particular product that inevitably happens during a move such as this, and it was a recipe for disaster.

Now that the Cerberus/freedom group/Remington people have figured out the CNC set up for making the Marlon product line, most experts agree that the quality has improved over the last year or two. Hopefully it keeps improving.

We will see. These rifles I posted about were all purchased from 2016 to this year. Wood has been ok but the big issues I've had seem entirely metal related, (rifling, internal parts within the reciever, index of barrel, height of sight).

Roger, I also collect and shoot Marlin lever guns and was stupid enough to purchase an 1895 45-70 before I found out that they were made by Remington. Well I sent it off to Alaska to be made into a Co-Pilot take down rifle and now it is my favorite one... but I would never buy a new one, I only purchase JM stamped levers now..

I purchased a couple lately..... within the last two years.

One went back with magazine tube issue. I ended up fixing the problem myself after their 'smith' found no issue even though I clearly stated the issue and how to duplicate it.

I've seen many in stores that sights were canted and needed to be returned.

Remington QA is downhill.

But sometimes you get a good one.

They're a good value.....sometimes I hear about people getting a good one off the bat but this whole gun going back through the mail and being fixed thing has to be more expensive than just getting the greatest majority of guns right. Q/A should be cheaper for sure

I'd love a brand new Marlin .357 lever. The quality of the last several years is the only thing stopping me. I've been hearing their quality is improving for a couple of years now. However I have not heard their quality is back to where it was during the JM years. It is very sad. I won't buy a new Remington either anymore.

You guys......

I shot my guide gun today w large lever loop and was floored how well it did. Also, shipped my normal lever guide gun back to marlin.

A great value, if you don't mind waiting for it to be up to snuff.

I should not have to wait for it to be up to snuff...it is a new rifle after all.

I understand that there will always be problem guns that slip by....no matter what name is on the barrel...
But ever since the buyout by Cerberus and company...who are only interested in making money and not guns...quality is not what it has been like in the past for both Marlin and Remington.

When our gun companies are under management by a group that is only interested in turning a profit and not interested the history of the original company or its quality products , then that company will fail.

I do wish you luck and happy shooting with your new and re-worked / worked over Mariln rifles ...but I really don't trust either Marlin or Remington since their buyouts.
( And that's a damn shame :oops: )
Andy

Here is my 336Y. It is a 2017 vintage Remlin that I got late last summer with the rebate. It shoots and cycles fine. It may not be a JM, but it will harvest blacktails handily.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12w...OsrIAj2KkbTJYZ

Nothing really wrong with it, it is just a Remington. Cost was $325 after the rebate. I have test fired it with 20 rounds and still need to finish sighting in. (I will be putting a small 2.5X20mm scope on it anyways). My take is that it is a good value. Overall, decent quality and happy with the purchase. I am glad these are still being produced for shooters even though there have been quality issues and they are not the "same" as before.

Video of action...I have not oiled or done anything to it..works fine.

5vx4li.jpg
s1q978.jpg
14djc5g.jpg
a4nbj5.jpg
16krsw6.jpg

Last Edited:
the new Marlins are just fine. One of the things they did was cut cost on the original solid wood walnut stocks... the new ones come with laminate with a thin skin of real wood, this makes them look and feel cheaper. Bad marketing move IMO but I haven't heard of any of these failing to function. You can special order one with the old real solid walnut stocks too...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top