JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Henry is the new Marlin....

Umm, no. The tube fed is a perfectly fine, functional system, but it isn't a Marlin, and likely won't ever be. Not trying to disagree just to disagree, but if this was the case, people wouldn't still be actively talking about if Marlin's quality has improved yet. They would just let it fade into obscurity.

I feel like there is a danger to believing all you read on the internet. Certainly, Marlin has earned the reputation they have. But not every gun coming out is bad. As I've stated, it's to a point where I won't buy a new Marlin sight unseen, but if I inspect it first, I have no issue with it. I don't think they are to the point where absolutely everything coming out is garbage, so someone saying they refuse to buy a new Marlin is a bit overstated. But that's just my $.02 ;)

Umm, no. The tube fed is a perfectly fine, functional system, but it isn't a Marlin, and likely won't ever be. Not trying to disagree just to disagree, but if this was the case, people wouldn't still be actively talking about if Marlin's quality has improved yet. They would just let it fade into obscurity.

I feel like there is a danger to believing all you read on the internet. Certainly, Marlin has earned the reputation they have. But not every gun coming out is bad. As I've stated, it's to a point where I won't buy a new Marlin sight unseen, but if I inspect it first, I have no issue with it. I don't think they are to the point where absolutely everything coming out is garbage, so someone saying they refuse to buy a new Marlin is a bit overstated. But that's just my $.02 ;)

its a generalization.

Ive shot a new Henry last summer, it was really nice. The fit and finish are way nicer than new Marlins, IMO, the new laminate stocks arent as nice as the solid walnut. The Henry is a beautiful gun, but I don't like the Henrys tubular loading port, the side port on the Marlin is much nicer and makes it much easier to clear the chamber without unloading the whole thing.

Here is my 336Y. It is a 2017 vintage Remlin that I got late last summer with the rebate. It shoots and cycles fine. It may not be a JM, but it will harvest blacktails handily.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12w...OsrIAj2KkbTJYZ

Nothing really wrong with it, it is just a Remington. Cost was $325 after the rebate. I have test fired it with 20 rounds and still need to finish sighting in. (I will be putting a small 2.5X20mm scope on it anyways). My take is that it is a good value. Overall, decent quality and happy with the purchase. I am glad these are still being produced for shooters even though there have been quality issues and they are not the "same" as before.

Video of action...I have not oiled or done anything to it..works fine.

View attachment 425017
View attachment 425018
View attachment 425019
View attachment 425020
View attachment 425021
Glad to hear that someone has a good "new" Marlin ;) May it serve you long and well! Sounds like Marlin is trying to get it together. I do regret not getting one of the "original" JM Cowboy .45-70's - not that I need(ed) one.. A little scope definitely improves things... personally I have a older Leupold 4X on mine, had the glass laying around from another deal so WTH... Good luck with your outfit!

Henry is the new Marlin....
Not quite - and I am a Henry owner. Henry has some great products and excellent customer service but lacks the over 125 + years of tradition Marlin has. Henry is struggling to keep up with demand and I believe they are spreading themselves out way to thin with so many new products the quality and customer service they are known for could be 'slipping' a bit - at least this is the 'Word on the street'

.the side port on the Marlin is much nicer and makes it much easier to clear the chamber without unloading the whole thing.
You can just relieve the spring tension in the tube and of course also make sure gravity won't confound, jack the jacker and done.. were one to want to for some reason.
not real difficult

And the cool thing about those tube feds is you can have an external spring/bunjie to "push" the rod to its closed/"full" position if you desire to load 35 rounds instead of the usual 18 or whatever.
lol, kids'll do that

How do you clear the chamber on the Marlin without having to cycle all the rounds out?

dont open the lever all the way, just enough to get the ejector to kick the tip of the round out so you can grab it. Close the lever and the next round wont chamber.

You can just relieve the spring tension in the tube and of course also make sure gravity won't confound, jack the jacker and done.. were one to want to for some reason.
not real difficult
not a Henry owner here so good to know the trick. I'll be certain to let my friend know too...

now I love marlins...... I buy all marlin levers. Here's what I don't get how they can turn out such crap products

1895 45-70 22 inch
Prob was missing 2 lands entire length of barrel

1895 35 rem 20 inch
Prob was sight slightly canted and wrong height front sight, also firearm that moves back and forth

1895 45-70 guide gun
Prob missing rifling at front of barrel and wrong height front sight

1895 45-70g
Prob, she'll elecator drops to early not allowing she'll to chamber w out binding, lever locks up when trying to close when you hold left pressure to lever.

4/4 had to be returned
Now you tell me. I just bought one on Gun Broker the day before yesterday. I sure hope mine is better than what you describe.

I have not heard so many complaints about Marlin lever action lately. Years ago Marlins machinery was wearing out and the quality started dropping. I looked to buy a 336 30-30 about 6 or 7 years ago and was surprised at the poor quality compared to my 1980 336 in .375 Winchester, which is a gorgeous shooter. The stock looked like plastic and had a very rough action. I thought that Remington had invested in new machinery and brought them back to the JM era, or at least close. Maybe I will have to buy another Henry for my 45-70. I won't buy a laminated overlaid rifle that looks like cheap furniture, although I do like the looks of some of the fully laminated stock and forends.

Henry for my 45-70. I won't buy a laminated overlaid rifle that looks like cheap furniture, although I do like the looks of some of the fully laminated stock and forends.
I think I may have already mentioned here.... but you can special order new Marlins with solid walnut stocks. They cost about $100 more IIRC.

While I dislike the safety and see no use for it...the quality of the rifles were still excellent and sometimes you find a rifle that has fantastic stock figure in those rifles from that era ( and earlier )

I do hope that the newest rifles have gotten the quality control issues under control.
Andy

It just doesn't make any sense to me. Marlin, Winchester and Rossi alike. I want a 1892 right now and without a second thought I would never own one with a safety on it of any kind whether that be tang, crossbolt or bolt. That limits the options to a Browning B92 of a short windowed era they were being made or a pre-safety Rossi which again was a while ago. There is no new offering that I would buy. Henry manages to stay in business without putting safeties on. How have they not been sued to extinction? Is the fear of a lawsuit really a bigger factor than the loss of sales that undoubtedly are happening on a substantial scale? I hear so many guys say they would never buy a safetied lever gun.

Marlin and Winchester lever guns are a thing of the past as far as I'm concerned.

Henry manages to stay in business without putting safeties on. How have they not been sued to extinction? Is the fear of a lawsuit really a bigger factor than the loss of sales that undoubtedly are happening on a substantial scale? I hear so many guys say they would never buy a safetied lever gun.

I can only guess but I will say because it hasn't happened yet to henry.... that is my hunch being that somebody slipped their finger lowering the hammer on a Marlin and they got sued. My older brother owns an original safetyless Marlin 3030 (I should ask him if he still owns it....), when I became old enough they had came out with the safety button. I would buy one again, but I cant use it because the button is so easily depressed it gets bumped on (safe) when carrying it and its not in any natural shooting position to operate on the fly like deer hunting. Originally the safetyless version gun was designed to be safely carried in the half cock position. I have to put a piece of tape on it during hunting season to keep it off

I can only guess but I will say because it hasn't happened yet to henry.... that is my hunch being that somebody slipped their finger lowering the hammer on a Marlin and they got sued. My older brother owns an original safetyless Marlin 3030 (I should ask him if he still owns it....), when I became old enough they had came out with the safety button. I would buy one again, but I cant use it because the button is so easily depressed it gets bumped on (safe) when carrying it and its not in any natural shooting position to operate on the fly like deer hunting. Originally the safetyless version gun was designed to be safely carried in the half cock position. I have to put a piece of tape on it during hunting season to keep it off

Good point, all the more reason the safety is superfluous and unwanted..

The 4 basic rules of firearm safety should suffice for non-morons. I mean would someone actually have the muzzle pointed at something important, like say for instance, a person, when lowering the hammer? Derrrr

Good point, all the more reason the safety is superfluous and unwanted..

The 4 basic rules of firearm safety should suffice for non-morons. I mean would someone actually have the muzzle pointed at something important, like say for instance, a person, when lowering the hammer? Derrrr

absolutely, it became real clear to me at the wise age of 16 when my dad gave me that gun and kept finding the safety 'on' while deer hunting so I put that first piece of tape on it.... and suddenly the 4 basic rules became obvious. Its disappointing actually, I'm only human and know my thumb could slip so Id rather use the button to put the hammer down to half cock to carry it but the button just will not stay in the off position. So I told myself back then that I would never let my thumb slip and thats been the case for 31 years of deer hunting. Its also easy to put your other thumb in front of the hammer when lowering it in case, but most of all, rule #2.
Mines an original JM by the way... I can put up with the button :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top