JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
redshoe_man.jpg

I work in a separate building where carry is allowed. My job takes me into other buildings though where it is forbidden. I walk or ride my bike to work, hence the need for a purse that I can lock up in my desk.

I work in a separate building where carry is allowed. My job takes me into other buildings though where it is forbidden. I walk or ride my bike to work, hence the need for a purse that I can lock up in my desk.

You REALLY need to stop calling it a "purse"... call it a "discrete, accessible, defensive apparatus transport device" instead. It SOUNDS better. :D

This is a big decision for some, actually. I used to laugh at mag bags but now I'm starting to see the light, to a certain extent. The tactical ones that are multi-cam, digital, etc. that stand out, say "Tactical Blah", and have MOLLE webbing just bug me for every day use and carry. For the woods and in the car, that's great but trying not to attract a bunch of attention to what I have on my shoulder.

Several months back, I purchased an old canvas laptop bag at a garage sale with the expressed idea of building my own "murse".

First, I added a piece of urethane to the inside and attached a Blackhawk! Serpa holster for my Glock, followed by a Blade Tech double mag pouch and some other essential items. It looks non-descript enough and does not draw the unwanted attention mentioned earlier in my post.

It's been with me to several job interviews and no one was the wiser to the fact there was a G19, with 16 rounds in her, two spare 17 round mags and a 33 round mag... :D

Also kept inside is a compass, some AA and AAA batteries, a flashlight(or two), no less than 4 glow sticks, a package of water purifying pills, some tape, gauze, alcohol wipes, a folder, a fixed knife and a 4 ounce package of emergency water.

Some pics. The best thing about it is, other than the low cost, the fact that I can configure it how I want it and I'm not stuck with someone else's design.

IMG_9258.jpg
IMG_9259.jpg
IMG_9262.jpg

If anyone wants one, just let me know! I'd be happy to do up some more, anyway you like!

I think the Bicycle Messenger style bag would be a great place to look, as well. NO ONE, seeing you ride up on your bike with one of those, would even think anything "unusual" were inside it. Hundreds of mad cyclists pop all round Portland, often on eccentric old fixed gear bikes, one of those over the shoulder and who knows what inside. and no one ever things twice about them.

Ortlieb is probably the best brand, River City bike shop, near the Hawthorne Bridge, stock the Ortlieb line. REI and Performance Bike (Mall 205) also have other lines. (I believe REI are also stocking dealers of Ortlieb, Performance stock the Jandd marque, and have their own marque as well. Lower priced, and good quality into the bargain. I've had one of their "rack trunk" bags strapped to the rack on my tandem for six years now, still in great shape, and it's been there for a LOT of miles).

Personally, I carry a s&W J-frame .38 in my back jersey pocket, loose, but with an old cotton sock to fill in the space on the "inside" of the gun's profile. Keep a Speedloader in the toe of the sock as well. Never had anyone even hint they're aware I'm packing..... looks like some non-descript lump of tools, gloves, somethng.... but then, you'd have to work out the "moves" to get it from your jersey pocket into your desk drawer unseen.

I carry the maxpedition versipak or jumbo pack every day. I get a LOT of hassle from freinds and family calling it a murse. BUT then they always ask me for stuff that i have in it. Either a leatherman, a pocketknife, pen, bandanna etc... They sometimes ask me to carry their cellphones or cameras.

It really is convenient and you can carry stuff that won't fit in your pockets, including your ccw. You can get pretty fast unzipping and accessing the firearm with some practice.

Another pack i just saw that i might pick up for hiking.

<broken link removed>

Damn man quit looking for a purse or a murse or what ever is the latest metro craze calls it.You just need an organizer that holds your carry piece.Or a good bag...

<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

This thread has got me thinking about getting something like a "man purse." So far, I am especially liking the Maxpedition products. As far as I can tell, there are no local retailers where you could check one out before you spend the money on one. I like both the Versipack Fatboy and Jumbo, but is it worth the extra money to get the larger bag with a water bottle holder, or is the smaller Fatboy a better bet? Would the bottle holder get enough use to get the Jumbo? I kind of like the smaller size, but I wish I could try one on for size before I spend the money and then decide I really wanted the other one anyway. Any thoughts?

This thread has got me thinking about getting something like a "man purse." So far, I am especially liking the Maxpedition products. As far as I can tell, there are no local retailers where you could check one out before you spend the money on one. I like both the Versipack Fatboy and Jumbo, but is it worth the extra money to get the larger bag with a water bottle holder, or is the smaller Fatboy a better bet? Would the bottle holder get enough use to get the Jumbo? I kind of like the smaller size, but I wish I could try one on for size before I spend the money and then decide I really wanted the other one anyway. Any thoughts?

The maxpeditions are good and worth the money in my opinion. The material is very rugged. You really have to see it in person to see if you want the jumbo or fatboy. If you don't have a shop that carries them your best bet might be a gun show. There's usually someone selling maxpedition stuff. For me i got both. I can fit my glock 19 in the fatboy and the jumbo i can get a full size 1911 or XD45 tactical in it.

Just a left a mandatory "picnic" and saw a guy WITH a Multi-cam "Murse" and it screamed HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME... I AM CARRYING A HANDGUN

I love Multi-cam but in a plained clothed environment, I don't think so!

SF-

The nice thing about the Max Fatboy is the gun does not go in the main compartment, but rather the slim zipper behind it. I started carrying my man purse a few days ago and all the girls at the office wanted to see what I had in it - I showed them the main pouch with my meds for my broken foot and not one ever suspected the Glock 23 in the back compartment. They even said it looked sexy! No longer do I have to go around with a bunch of stuff in my pants and a handgun weighing down my jeans into lowrider status - just say No to Crack!!!

I have a man purse made by Roma Leather. There are two sizes that I know off. Not too big. Not too small. Has a built in holster that is adjustable. Room for an extra mag, flashlight, and more. Has a shoulder strap or you can use the wrist strap. Carry mine everyday with M&P 45 Compact, extra mag, light, GPS, camera, pen and note pad.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top