Making a SBR in WA?

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by cowgirlkaboom, Dec 2, 2017.

1. cowgirlkaboom

cowgirlkaboom
    Walla Walla, WA
    Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter

The internets have lead me to believe I have to have a WA dealer “make” my SBR to be state compliant on a new build. Is this true? If so, does anyone have experience with this? Can I just supply them with the lower then have them shipped the upper? I have a retro AR-15 lower that I would like to build but want to make sure I am legal before acquiring the rest.

2. Sandaholic

Sandaholic
    Spokane, WA

I don't think that's right. It may be close though as the FFL may help you with the tax stamp paperwork. I don't know for sure so I am here for answers as well. I've been contemplating a couple SBR's.

3. IronMonster

IronMonster
    Free Idaho!
    Opinionated Member Lifetime Supporter

That's the way it was, I have been gone for a year so I have no idea if the law has changed. I had Rainer Arms in Auburn build my SBR... They used an upper I already had I bought one of there lowers so no engraving was required (there name and info is already on the lower so nothing has to be added as the "builder"

I think they charged me $100 for "building" my SBR which really was mounting a buffer tube and stock and snapping my upper on it...

cowgirlkaboom and Alexx1401 like this.
  4. SCARed

SCARed
    Vancouver, WA

A dealer does not need to make the SBR for you. YOU would send in a Form 1 (application to make a NFA firearm) to the ATF listing the specs you’ll initially make the gun to. Wait till you got the stamp approved and in hand (4-6mos wait currently), then you can legally build the rifle.
    That’s the cliff note version of what you need to do. It’s actually a bit more complicated.
    Heres a link to ARF where there’s a ton more info for you to research.
    Short Barreled Rifles (SBR) - AR15.COM

WA state law doesn’t have anything to do with it anymore. That was a very brief period of time where there was an interpreted difference in what the law said, but that was clarified and now falls in line with federal law.

5. bassman2

bassman2
    SW WA

SCARed is correct.

cowgirlkaboom and Stomper like this.
  6. cowgirlkaboom

cowgirlkaboom
    Walla Walla, WA
    Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter

That makes it a lot easier, thanks a lot folks! Time to send it out for engraving once I get home then.

7. tkotutone

tkotutone
    Carson WA

I thought you had to wait for you tax stamp before you even start building your sbr. I wouldn’t buy a lower till then.

8. wired

wired
    Yakima

You need a lower before you can apply for the stamp. Serial number, manufacturer etc.