JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got these two pistols don't know much about them want to know worth on them and or they worth keeping thank you

IMG_8919.png IMG_8918.png IMG_8917.png IMG_8915.png IMG_8916.png

Depends if you're talking to a collector or someone just looking to shoot it. Also, check the ammo prices. 9mm use to be cheap in comparison to 9x18mm. So then..... It's Up To You.....what you want to ask for it.

Aloha, Mark

Can't they have the chambers bored an additional 1mm so they can fire standard 9mm Luger?
I believe in addition to a slightly shorter length and straight walled case when compared to the 9mm Luger's tapered case, the 9X18 mak uses a larger diameter projectile, so the bore would be oversize at .363 or .364 to fire 9mm Luger ammo, which is typically for a .356 or so bore.

For me.....
I'm glad that I avoided the whole mess with 9x18mm.

I once had a FEG P-63 in 9x18mm.

But, I sold it for a .357 Rossi revolver. I didn't even bother to fire the FEG. I found that the 9x18mm ammo was a bit difficult to find, expensive and anyway.....I love revolvers.

Rrrrright.....the ammo for the revolver in .357 Mag/.38 Special is so much easier to find (say in an emergency) and re-load for it. BTW, I have no need or desire to pay for store bought .357 Mag or .38 Special ammo. I have plenty of reloads.

And to top it all off.......I use to be able to buy 9mm ammo for about $10 a box. Of course, I also have pistols in that caliber. Oh yeah......the good old days. To add insult to injury......note the price of a NEW 9mm pistol and ammo lately?

BUT, But, but......if you (or someone else) likes/wants/must have a Makarov......so be it.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......

Last Edited:
I had a beautiful East German Makarov quite a long time ago before anyone saw any value in "one o dem commy guns"

Sold it when they hit collector prices.

One of my few regrets. I can get one still, but at 8-10 times what I paid for the first one. 🤬

Got these two pistols don't know much about them want to know worth on them and or they worth keeping thank you
I would say between $450 and $550. The Maks with the adjustable rear sights were produced for commercial export. They don't hold the same intrigue for collectors as milsurp pistols. These used to be inexpensive shooters, but unfortunately the cheap Makarov ammo is now gone. But there are people who collect all sorts of things, including Makarovs... so you never know. I would make an ad on Gunbroker and have your LGS ship it for you. They can usually do this for around $50.

Last Edited:
A friend had one that was captured before the wall fell that he paid about $1200 for. He would get paid to take it to shows. He kept in a glass case with only one mag and 5 rounds. After the wall came down they were everywhere for around $100.

I have found the Makarov to be a very reliable and accurate semi-automatic handgun. Mine is a Russian made at Baikal. I've had it for more than 25 years and wold not sell it. It has been my primary carry firearm. Hornady makes some good loads.

9x18 ammo is no problem if you load your own. I cast/powder coat bullets, and trim 1mm off of regular 9mm brass. It's pretty easy to do with a little Lee trimmer in a power drill. Proper 9x18 brass is readily available nowadays, but 9mm Luger brass is common as dirt and easy to convert.

I have an EG Makarov that I bought 20+ years ago, and a couple of CZ85s. The CZ85 is a lot like a Makarov, but better. They were a heck of a deal back when you could buy one for under $200 complete with an extra magazine and original holster. :)

A Makarov pistol cannot be converted to 9mm Luger. The 9x19 is significantly more powerful. The Makarov is a blow-back design and 9x18 is about as powerful of a round as practical for it. The 9x18 is only a little more powerful than a .380 auto.

I saw a video on youtube once that made me cringe. Someone was claiming that the Makarov was so versatile because it could shoot .380, 9x18, and 9x19 ammo, and they did it!

Bad practice all the way around. Yeah, it will shoot .380, and even cycle them, but accuracy and velocity will be terrible because it's a .355" bullet sliding down a .362" bore. Apparently it will even fire 9mm Luger- it won't fit in the magazine but he manually put one in the barrel. The slide didn't close all the way, but since it's a blow-back design, it doesn't need to. I'm pretty sure the only reason he didn't blow it up was because the undersized bullet barely even touched the bore, and as such didn't build up enough pressure to cause any harm. Yeah, very bad practice!

My best friend here bought a makarov a ij70 without box for 330 (he paid to much as it sat at the shop for 6 months and he could have probably got it for 300) with holster wear. My friend in Missouri got one with the box and 8 mags for 290 and with the mags was a steal. I see ij70s with the box go for 350 to 450 around here. If you in a state where a BG check must be done more realistically worth 300 to 400 as cheaper guns tend to sell worse locally in my experience than mid tier. It's why I never post stuff for sale that's under 700$ anymore. Easier to list and ship it out of state. Plus you might get more twords 375 to 500 if selling online. Other gun I don't know enough about prices.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews