JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why? What is the benefit?
There is no benefit but thanks for asking. This thread might get to 8 pages after all.

By the way @Pepe-lepew had the best solution for marrying the receivers together. By enlarging and increasing the depth of the pivot pin detent hole so the detent enters further into the pivot pin would be the easiest most cost effective method to achieve this. I may drill one out this weekend to see how it works. Then the receivers will be married for life. I might use this set up for my quick change barrel rifle project. If you ask me why I would want a quick change barrel set up, we will be that much closer to 8 pages.

Last Edited:
This thread reads like we've already accepted 17+18 will pass. I hope we haven't, as there's still a year to fight it
I too enjoy cutting off my testicles with a dull, rusty butter knife because the government tells me masculinity is toxic….

I better start modifying all my magazines to only accept 10 rounds too. State and federal government can kick rocks and pound sand. #APAC. Giving in and giving up so easily only gives them more power. And if you think they are ever going to relinquish that power that was voluntarily given then you're a fool. Right and left. It doesn't matter.

Last Edited:
No it wouldn't prevent any maintenance problems.
Just be a little trickier if you wanted to change barrels. The pin would still be removable with a special application of a carbide endmill on the weld.
When done changing barrels, install new pin and weld a second head on it.

You might also consider welding the lug nuts to your wheels so your tires can never be removed from your car ;)
I have been thinking about doing that. Any suggestions on where the welds should go?

2606477813_b18c0d8e5c_z.jpg

The idea of being forced into compliance with a law ...
That in reality , only affects those who are law abiding is abhorrent to me.

If I were considering the options presented by the OP...I would just buy a legally compliant AR15 type rifle , if needs be...rather than neuter my rifle.
Andy

The idea of being forced into compliance with a law ...
That in reality , only affects those who are law abiding is abhorrent to me.

If I were considering the options presented by the OP...I would just buy a legally compliant AR15 type rifle , if needs be...rather than neuter my rifle.
Andy
Some people pay big bucks to have alternative type AR15 configurations. I am doing mine on a shoe string budget (like everything else I do).

Some people pay big bucks to have alternative type AR15 configurations. I am doing mine on a shoe string budget (like everything else I do).

I understand that...I still say I wouldn't neuter my rifle to be in compliance with a law I did not agree with.
If I had to , I would buy a fauxAR15.
Andy

Wow! I read the first page and have a thought or three. I'll read the rest of the pages next, but I'm taking this at face value.

I wouldn't do that. The pins are steel and the receiver holes are aluminum, what would you weld it to?

I would like to weld the pin so it would no longer be removable.

I would just beat one end with a BFH and mushroom it out. Problem solved one page in and not eight pages out. Kthxbye
I could easily imagine a longer pin being used and a piece welded onto it. Picture the pivot pin longer than a normal pin by .100"-.125" with the extended end being threaded. Screw on a nut, or a threaded sleeve so it looks nicer, then weld nut to pin. If the pin protrudes enough, in theory it could be turned into a rivet by being set (mushroomed), effectively doing the same thing as welding. The pin could be welded on the skinny end making it too fat to withdraw, is another possible option.

I could see this being used on a gun that was intended to stay together. No switching back n forth with uppers. More like the majority of the guns in my safe. They are what they are. Not being intimately familiar with the AR platform I couldn't state if doing this would cause any other setbacks and should allow normal maintenance
Also, you would never misplace that pin.

Wow! I read the first page and have a thought or three. I'll read the rest of the pages next, but I'm taking this at face value.

I could easily imagine a longer pin being used and a piece welded onto it. Picture the pivot pin longer than a normal pin by .100"-.125" with the extended end being threaded. Screw on a nut, or a threaded sleeve so it looks nicer, then weld nut to pin. If the pin protrudes enough, in theory it could be turned into a rivet by being set (mushroomed), effectively doing the same thing as welding. The pin could be welded on the skinny end making it too fat to withdraw, is another possible option.

I could see this being used on a gun that was intended to stay together. No switching back n forth with uppers. More like the majority of the guns in my safe. They are what they are. Not being intimately familiar with the AR platform I couldn't state if doing this would cause any other setbacks and should allow normal maintenance
Also, you would never misplace that pin.
My original thought was why? ARs are specifically designed to be taken apart using the take down pins. As for misplacing the pins, they are held in the lower by detents, so unlikely to be misplaced. In any event, these parts, like all other ARs parts are readily available.

One way to do this in a permanent, but reversible fashion would be to drill and tap the pivot pin, then install a hex drive button head bolt with a drop of red or green (sleeve retaining) loctite. Once it is cured, you can drill out the hex hole or have it tig welded shut.

My original thought was why? ARs are specifically designed to be taken apart using the take down pins. As for misplacing the pins, they are held in the lower by detents, so unlikely to be misplaced. In any event, these parts, like all other ARs parts are readily available.
Like I said, I was taking it at face value. Wasn't questioning the question, just offering possible solutions. It's not a modification I expect I would perform. I also don't think it would bother me much if that's the way it was.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top