Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Magwell vs Bobtail

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by tlakidd, Nov 15, 2011.

1. tlakidd

tlakidd Eugene Member

What are the bobtail advantages? Are there any disadvantages? Lastly it appears you have to buy new grips. Are there less grip options for the bobtail?
    Thanks
    Tlakidd

2. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

001.jpg 100_0165.jpg Advantages: Feels really good in the hand, easier to carry concealed. Disadvantages: once you get one you have to get more! Fewer choices and generally more expensive. Grips: Tons of options, check out The Finer Grain, Sarges' Grips, he has a large selection of bobtail grips. Gary

3. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Mag well vs. Bobtail are two entirely differently issues. Magwells are meant to facilitate easier faster reloads.

The advantage of bobtails is to offer a little less conspicuous profile while carrying concealed. Some say makes no difference in feel for holding the pistol, others say it does make a difference in your grip. I have both standard and bobtail config 1911's and find no significant difference in grip feel. If anything, I like the feel of the bobtail grip a bit better. As mentioned before, Sarge's offers many bobtail options. I have VZ's on my bobtail 1911's as well as a pair of Esmeralda Rosewood Picazzo grips for those all important BBQ's. :laugh:

DSCN1325.jpg

4. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful gun,grips are very nice.......

but the bobtail just doesn't look right on a 1911 to me.
    If I want that sort of grip I'll buy another gun

5. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

To each his own. I own both standard grip and bobtail 1911's. If it is a gun I plan to use regularly for concealed carry I will go with the bobtail, but I also like the standard grip.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.